Chinese-Forums

Registering for temporary residency

js6426

Hi all,

I just want to check that I am understanding everything regarding my visa and residency card to avoid making a huge mistake.  So right now I have an X1 visa (I am not in China yet).  It says that I have 30 days to apply for my residency card after my arrival, although for some reason I had always thought you had to register within 24 hours (anybody have any info on that)?

I can't apply for my residency card through the university as I am staying off campus with my family.  We are planning on arriving in China on Jan 29th, which is smack in the middle of Chinese New Year, so I first wanted to check if anybody knows if the police stations (or whatever office I am supposed to register at) will be open during Chinese New Year (in Harbin)?  The reason the date is important is that if we leave then the flights are half the price of what they cost from Feb 1st and following!

A further factor is that I don't have accommodation arranged yet.  We plan on staying in a hotel or airbnb until we find somewhere suitable to rent, but from what I have heard my landlord is meant to go with me to register for my residency card.  If I do in fact only have 24 hours to register, what should I do?  My only assumption would be that I have to have somewhere ready to rent before we get to China, so that my landlord can go with me on the day we arrive. 

So I guess my real question is do I have 24 hours or 30 days to register for my temporary residency card?  Furthermore, if I have 30 days, is there another type of registration that I have to do within 24 hours of arriving, that I am confusing with my temporary residency card registration?

Jonny

Sorry if this post is a bit muddled, and thank you for any help anyone can give. 

You're confusing two different procedures.

If you're not staying in a hotel, then you need to register the address where you are staying at a local police station, within 24 hours in urban areas. If you're staying at a hotel, this will be done automatically by the front desk.

Transforming your X1 visa to a residency permit is a different process. But when you go to the PSB to do this, make sure you've done the address registration first if you're staying with a family or such.

• Like 1

Fantastic.  Thank you so much for your response, it's incredibly helpful.

So, just to confirm - when we do find somewhere to rent, I need to go and register at the police station with the landlord first of all.  Then after that, I go to the PSB to change my X1 visa to a residency permit, and I have 30 days to do that (from when I first arrive in China)?

Yes, if you first stay in a hotel then move to a private place, you have to register with the PSB when you move (and re-register if you move again to another private place). The exact procedure and documents needed can vary a bit by PSB office, so you'll have to ask locally exactly what you need.

• Like 1

Just an additional question to add to this topic - what have been people's experiences with the time it takes to receive your temporary residency card after applying for it?  I read that it is can take anything between 3-6 weeks.  Harbin specific experiences would be great, but just in general also.