Chinese-Forums

Any info on studying in Yunnan?

matadorsp

• New Members

Hi all,

I am planning to do a trip to China soon with the main purpose of learning fluent Chinese. the thing is - I really want to be immersed in the culture, and in a beautiful setting - not in some smoggy city.

Ive looked around at some websites, but I found this one which seemed cool: the Lijiang Academy of Chinese Language and Culture.

I found them on FB, they also have a website you can find there. Anybody have any experience with them? The cool sounding thing was that they say they offer HSK as well as cultural-immersion courses, plus guided trips to places near Lijiang! Sounded really cool...

Im looking forward to hearing your experiences/advice!

Thanks 

I have no information on that school, but Lijiang is a beautiful place to live, so I hope it works out.

Ive looked around at some websites, but I found this one which seemed cool: the Lijiang Academy of Chinese Language and Culture.

Bear in mind that in China there are no scruples about assigning one's own business venture a grandiose name. Modesty is not the order of the day.

Despite the fine handle, this might be a tiny school with 8 students and 2 part-time teachers who have only minimal qualifications, and it might have been started only 3 months ago in a spare room above the owner's cafe or hostel. One never knows.

So you are doing the right thing by trying to investigate. Probably will need to phone them for more information. E-Mail often is not answered here.

• New Members

So, I talked to them by phone. They were very prompt and professional. It seems that they are fairly new, but that it is owned by an American and Chinese couple.

I am sill being cautious like you said, abcdefg, and I would really like to hear from somebody who has studied there before... Nonetheless, Im strongly leaning towards choosing this school. 

Thanks! ;)

As "abcdefg" said it is very hard to know. The best thing would be to contact current and former students - easier said that done. If they have a students' affair department  then that could be a way. 

In GENERAL websites are contain mostly BS; wished for programs, programs that have appeal but don't exist, instructors who never taught there, affliations that never transpired, etc

Nothing better than a personal visit.

You could contact a QA/QC service and pay them for a site visit. Sounds strange perhaps they speak the language and are expert at sniffing out the truth 

I am sill being cautious like you said, abcdefg, and I would really like to hear from somebody who has studied there before... Nonetheless, Im strongly leaning towards choosing this school.

It's a good sign that they at least answered the phone. Definitely ask for the contact information of some previous students, like Kmossman said just above.

Might be a great place. But go there as a tourist and take a look before putting any money down. Remember that China is a land with nearly zero consumer protection. If you give them a hefty deposit and they decide to move to Thailand tomorrow, you will have no recourse.

Apologies, I didn't realize it wasn't your first time over here. Thought you were new to China. Hope the school works out well. At the very least, you will be in a beautiful city.

It seems that every time I have been in Lijiang, I've gotten to know someone who eventually gets around to saying something along the lines of, "You must be nuts to live in Kunming. Anyone sane would opt for Lijiang." And it is probably true. If I had it to do over from scratch, I might very well choose Lijiang as my China home.

Kunming gets more and more urban sprawl every year. I seldom go to the northern parts of the city now, though I did ten years ago, 北市区  is just too darned far away and it might as well be somewhere in Shanghai. The light rail system 地铁 has helped a little, but not as much as I had hoped. And our air quality degrades every year; more dust from construction and more industrial pollutants.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi matadorsp,

I am sending you a PM. I studied Chinese at the school you are talking about. Owned by a really friendly American and his Chinese wife. 

We had a great experience. I was there for a half-month, and I learned a lot about the culture and I personally think my writing skills improved a lot. Plus, I think Lijiang is one of the most beautiful places in the world!

However, remember that there is lijiang city and Lijiang county. The school is right outside of Lijiang city, which might be a plus or a minus to some. It is in the Old Town, with a beautiful room and Chinese courtyard. Personally, Lijiang city is nothing unique, as in the Old town it is a huge tourist trap and outside of the old town it is like any other small chinese city. However the schools location was perfect IMO. We could even go hiking out the back door!

When I was there, the classes were being taught by Sandy (co-owner of the Lijiang Academy of Chinese and wife of the owner) and also by another nice, pretty young lady. I cant remember her  name now. But she did more of the tea culture and calligraphy classes with us.

If you have any more Qs about it, just PM me!

• New Members

abcdefg, Yes I have been in China several times. Never to Kunming though, but I am sorry to hear that it is becoming so urban and sprawled out. It also seemed like a nice place. Not many nice places left in China if you ask me, actually. Yunnan seems like one of the few exceptions. 

ShanShan, Thanks for your experience! It is most helpful to know that someone else made it out there and had a good time. I have been in contact with the owner of the Lijiang Academy again, and he has been most thorough and accommodating regarding questions about the itinerary, local environment, etc.

When I get back i will let you all know how my experience went. I cant wait to study chinese in Lijiang!