Learn Chinese in China
ZhaoZheng

Small Seal Script

4 posts in this topic

im not sure if this is the right sub forum but i was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge of Qin Seal Script?

and if so what would be a proper transliteration of  受命  永昌

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

I don't know much about seal scripts and the like but as far as the actual meaning is concerned I can offer this:

受命于天

To receive(受) orders(命) from(于) 'heaven'(天)

既寿永昌

then life(寿) will be long(永) and prosperous(昌)

I'm not a 100% sure what 既 is doing here.

This seems to be a pretty well known phrase and you can find more information here or here.  I imagine the situation here is a little more complex than the simple translation than I have provided, and given it's a Qin Seal Script you're talking of, it probably has a lot to do with uniting 天下 and the 永 probably refers to the position of ruler of all 天下 rather than any specific person.

But like I say... maybe a history buff can help you out.

somethingfunny

this is a very achaic phrase in old chinese meaning "Having received the Mandate from Heaven, may (the emperor) lead a long and prosperous life"