Chinese-Forums

A Level Chinese vs HSK

Clarabelle

I'd like to know others opinions on the difficulty of AS Mandarin compared to HSK please?

Would you think its at the same level of HSK5? I'm not ready to do either yet but am trying to plan out my goals.

Thanks for any replies.

I'd be surprised if AS level compared rather than A2, but can't comment - do you have any information about the course? I'm not sure if an A-level course will note this, but is there any mention of how many characters/words you're expected to know by the end of AS and A2?

Hi Clarabelle

As on 2017 they intend to change the A level. see below for the draft pre OFQUAL accredited specs.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Chinese/2017/specification-and-sample-assessments/Specification_GCE_A_level_L3_in_Chinese_August_2016_Draft.pdf

first teaching 2017 first exam 2019. 

Ah, I see they have a (non-exhaustive) word list now. Woah, the paper has way simpler vocab than the current AS book I flicked through. Looks like it will be more like HSK4 level now I reckon. Thanks for the links bagua.