Chinese-Forums

Chinese Documentaries

Sandro

Very strange, my text disappeared after posting the topic....

As I don't want to repeat the whole thing, in short:

I need advice for good Chinese documentaries, that are accessible without VPN from China.

Thank you in advance!

乡里的中国 A Village Diary - A documentary film about village life in Zibo Prefecture, Shandong. It has English Subtitles

https://v.qq.com/x/cover/i7sc2ih3x6qhzra/f0019al8ax5.html

舌尖上的中国 - "A bite of China" as @Video Vocabulary said above. There are 2 seasons (maybe a third season as well). It's about Chinese cuisine but not really a cooking show. You can get a real insight into the diversity of food and life in China.

Thanks!

舌尖上的中国 and 美丽中国 I knew already ^^

In Germany we have a very good TV Channel in cooperation with France, which is called arte and mainly broadcasts documentaries. Is there anything comparable for China? For example CCTV xy documentaries only?

China's Central Television Channel 9 is entirely dedicated to documentaries, and many are excellent quality. Just search for cctv (or cntv) channel 9 or cctv  documentaries. There are also international versions of cctv Channel 9 in English and other languages,

Sandro, I just noticed you're in Jiangxi, don't you watch TV there? 

I do watch TV. But I prefer the internet, because I can choose what to watch at any time, instead of waiting for something interesting to be on. Moreover when I'm watching TV in the living room, my other family members will be talking, so I can't concentrate :D

That explains!  :D

Channel 9 is the main documentary channel in Chinese Central TV. This is the documentaries web page, with an archive going back many years. The quality and topics selection was much better a few years back, it has deteriorated a lot now. It's good that the older programs are available.

There's also Channel 10, the education channel. It has many interesting programs on history, literature and arts subjects.

On a rather different note, I sometimes enjoy watching Channel 12.  the 'Law and Society channel'. It has programs based on police dossiers and court cases. Quite sordid many of them, but more interesting than the average Chinese TV soaps, and great for language learning (plenty of strange accents and local dialects)

Most of the programs now have clear subtitles in simplified characters.