Chinese-Forums

HSK Test Locations

Apollys

I've been studying for a few months now and decided it was time to start working through the first few levels of HSK exams to get a feel for how the system works.  I went to chinesetest.cn to register for an HSK 1 exam, but I'm having issues with location.  Right now I'm in San Diego, and when I went to this site to look for HSK test center locations, I saw that there is a very conveniently located test center 15 minutes away from me: http://www.chinaeducenter.com/en/hsk/hsktestcenter_pacific.php.  However, once I get to the location drop-down menu in registration process, the list of available locations (for the entire US!) is really short...  Can anyone tell me what's going on here and advise me on the best strategy to take the exams in a convenient location?

I searched all the test centers in the USA where you can take HSK 1 and it gives me 52 results (on www.chinesetest.cn). I didn't specify a test center name or a month for the test. Keep in mind that dates vary according to the location. Some test centers have more sessions than others and you may have to wait a few months anyway. If you have problems, you may go and ask to the nearest Confucius Institute you found, anyway the registration will have to be done by you online. They won't do it for you, but they can tell you when the next exam will be available.

I see 52 results only if I search the test centers from a link that you can find in the homepage without logging in. If I actually try to register I see 10 centers for the paper based test and 18 centers for the internet based test. Maybe Confucius Institute at SF State (internet-based test) could be okay for you.

Oh, sorry, I remembered incorrectly. You are right.

Different test centers will offer the exam on different dates. You may end up taking the test at a more distant test center if you need to take it during a certain month.

You may find a more convenient option if you select the internet-based test.

Among the test centers shown for HSK I when you're not logged in,

some don't have online registration ("register at the test center"), and some do have online registration but the registration period hasn't begun yet for the next date ("not yet opened").

So my guess is that the test centers in the drop-down list which you see after logging in are the ones that actually accept online registration AND have a test date for which registration is open already (?)

• Like 1

I also think registering online is the only way. At least that's what I had to do even if I went to the Confucius Institute in person for asking info.

I'd recommend an easy thing anyway: call the test center, you've got the number. You even don't need to drive there if they pick up the phone.

12 hours ago, fabiothebest said:

I also think registering online is the only way.

Some test centers don't allow candidates to register directly online. My guess is that they have limited space and want to reserve some seats for their own students.

example: Binghamton University http://www.chinesetest.cn/getkdinfo.do?id=9368697

Click on "register now", it says "register at the test center".

Regarding the San Diego IIR test site: here's the test site details

http://www.chinesetest.cn/getkdinfo.do?id=63

but it looks like they haven't scheduled any tests yet. Maybe it's one of those places that only schedule one test a year... if it's in autumn they're probably not in a hurry to advertise it.

Edit: same for San Diego state university

http://www.chinesetest.cn/getkdinfo.do?id=40876632

http://www.chinesetest.cn/getkdinfo.do?id=40876778

As a side note, HSK1 is extremely basic, you're not even required to read characters, are you sure you want to spend money on this? I'd wait a bit and aim for HSK2 or even HSK3...

Well ideally my original plan was to ease myself into the process and take about one test per month from February to May, but if that's too difficult to schedule then I might just take 3 once I'm ready, or 4 (if time clears up in my schedule and I can actually get back to regular studying).