Chinese-Forums

General scholarships question for a masters degree

cliveface96

I'm about to finish my undergrad here in Australia (this is my last year). I am pretty keen to work in China for a while however I don't see this as being likely without some experience first as I don't really have anything to offer over Chinese graduates, apart from worse language skills ;).

I was also planning to do a masters of finance (I'm a chem engineer) somewhere down the track as I want to move into this field. I was trying to sus out whether I would be eligible for any scholarships, in particular I was looking at the CSC scholarship but it doesn't seem like the Masters of Finance is covered by it (at Peking uni / Tsinghua anyway, very little finance-related stuff at all). I searched on this for anyone wondering: http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/indexen.aspx. Are there any other scholarships I should be looking at? Or do people on this forum think I should just be approaching this from a different angle?

-Clive 

"I don't see this as being likely without some experience first as I don't really have anything to offer over Chinese graduates, apart from worse language skills ;)."

I can't really help, but round of applause for the rare bout of self-awareness regarding employability of recent Western graduates...

• Like 1

I don't know that much about finance.

Are you genuinely interested or just looking for a way to make money?

A master's degree in China will help you get a job in China. However, you have to choose the right program for you.

There are many scholarship opportunities.

I don't know that much about finance.

Are you genuinely interested or just looking for a way to make money?

A master's degree in China will help you get a job in China. However, you have to choose the right program for you.

There are many scholarship opportunities.

Hey, also from Australia but have been working here teaching English for 2.5 years (much longer than expected).

Your other option could be to find one of the Aussie unis that cooperate with a Chinese uni and do a double degree or exchange or something? I'm not sure about finance but I know there are a few programs like that around. Plus the govt will sort you out with a loan.

If you just want to work in China for a bit you could do the English teaching thing, but it's not going to give you any step into another industry or anything, you'll just be able to say you're already in China.