Chinese-Forums

Pronunciation of 宝宝

Apollys

好好 is usually hǎohǎo, but in 好好地 it's hǎohāo.

宝宝 in Taiwan is bǎobāo I think, if you're talking about a baby or something in that category. Same as 妹妹 -> méimēi (or is it měiméi, either way not mèimei if you're using it to address a little girl or your younger sister).

• Like 1

The pinyin below the headword in pleco is bao3 bao3, but in my Cross-Straits dictionary it's bao3 bao5. Guifan has this to say:

注意 口语中第二个“宝”多读轻声。

Perhaps pleco gives original pronunciation before tone sandhi while other dictionaries give it after employing tone sandhi? @mikelove?

Anyways, regardless of what the dictionary says, I agree with xiaokaka.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lu said:

宝宝 in Taiwan is bǎobāo I think, if you're talking about a baby or something in that category. Same as 妹妹 -> méimēi (or is it měiméi, either way not mèimei if you're using it to address a little girl or your younger sister).

I've noticed they do that with 妈妈,爸爸,哥哥,弟弟 also. Once a teacher mentioned to me how she thought my host father found it amusing that I would always call him ba4ba4. She said it was so "formal", and that no Taiwanese call their father ba4ba4 with two fourth tones...

• Like 2

On 1/19/2017 at 0:28 AM, Lu said:

Same as 妹妹 -> méimēi (or is it měiméi, either way not mèimei if you're using it to address a little girl or your younger sister).

What?? 妹妹 isn't 4-5?  Now you've genuinely confused the hell out of me, how does that make sense?

It's Taiwanese Mandarin forms of address. Note that if you say something like 这是我妹妹的狗 or 我妹妹比我大两岁 it's still mèimei. I don't know the linguistic reasons behind it, I suspect it has something to do with making it sound sweeter/more cute.

• Like 2