Chinese-Forums

Changing from tourist to student visa in Kunming?

msteve60

Hello everyone,

I will be coming to Kunming to study at KUST in less than a month. The problem is that I will probably be arriving with a tourist visa, since I am currently working in China and can get this without leaving the country. KUST told me that they can convert the tourist visa to a student residence permit, but they are on holiday until Feb. 25.

However, the latest I can apply for my tourist visa is Jan. 24. The visa is for 31 days, but I'm afraid I won't be able to convert this to a residence permit until KUST reopens after Spring Festival on Feb. 25, which is more than 31 days.

Does anybody know of a possible solution to this problem? Since KUST already gave me all the necessary paperwork for getting a student visa, would it be possible to go to the PSB in Kunming myself to apply for a student visa or residence permit before Feb. 25?

I have tried to contact KUST about this but they are extremely unresponsive. I've sent them a whopping seven emails about it with no reply.

I appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Thanks.

I have tried to contact KUST about this but they are extremely unresponsive. I've sent them a whopping seven emails about it with no reply.

E-mail is nearly worthless in China. You need to be using the telephone.

Since KUST already gave me all the necessary paperwork for getting a student visa, would it be possible to go to the PSB in Kunming myself to apply for a student visa or residence permit before Feb. 25?

I don't think so. The request for your visa change needs to come from the school.

• 3 weeks later...

In the distant past, another era it seems, I extended my visa for a few weeks, in Ningbo I think.  But it was a big hassle and all very mystifying.  My Chinese was very basic then and I had little idea what was happening.  As I was leaving the building, going down the steps, two police came rushing down shouting, so I stopped, thinking uhoh!  One was holding what looked like a truncheon ... 先生先生!你的雨伞!是你上个月在普陀山丢了

True! I kid you not!  They had tracked me in Hangzhou Fuzhou, Xiamen, Huangshan, Shanghai and finally back in Ningbo, kept track of me for a month a returned my lost umbrella from Putuoshan.  How on earth did they know it was my umbrella. :tong

• Like 1