Chinese-Forums

Firefox Plugin: Chinese text annotation

trevelyan

does it require a connectiong to adsotrans.com? Sometimes its down for me or very very slow.

Yes. If anyone wants to try developing a desktop GUI that will play nicely with C++ code I'd be comfortable helping put together a downloadable version.

Stephen,

The popup is jumping off-screen because the window isn't big enough. I'll take a look at it. If its a common problem for you, you can fix it permanently by editing the file "adso.user.js" and increasing the height of the popup window:

// Customize the Popup

var width_of_popup = 500;

var height_of_popup = 157;

var surrounding_text_length = 46;

I'd like to avoid making system-wide changes to the text size, but will try and add a variable to the script that will give users control over the size of the text. Won't be able to get around to this today but will try to take care of it tomorrow Friday. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

any chance of adsotrans becoming an offline version? Erik Peterson's dimsum chinese annotator decided to stop working on my computer and i desperately need something else to replace it.

somehow the online adsotrans doesn't support more than say 10 lines of text.

• 3 weeks later...

Does this work with Firefox 1.5.0.1 (latest version)? It's not working properly for me; I've installed and restarted Firefox, and greasemonkey and adso are both running, but hitting "a" or mousing over the characters doesn't do anything. Hope to get it working!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the pointer to 同文堂 -- it looks absolutely bitchcakes. Unfortunately, Firefox won't let me install it; allegedly, v. 0.2 is only compatible with releases of Firefox through 0.9. Is there a newer version of the plugin than what's hosted on Mozdev? Is Firefox 1.5 just being wrong about this?

Firefox Plugin: Chinese text annotation

Hello trevelyan

I've done as you've said.

I went to a Sino website to test it.

I press the "a"-button.

When I click a Chinese character a pop-up window from adso appears. In the window are "teach adso" and "chinese forums".

Nothing else.

What have I done wrong?

Thank you.

ps: right below is a monkey

hlk123,

It sounds as if the Javascript isn't picking up the Chinese text below the mouse. Be sure that you are clicking on actual Chinese text as opposed to whitespace. If the error persists send me a note with the URL and the text on which you're clicking.

Hello trevelyan

I visited this website:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/world/2006-03/06/content_4265895.htm

When I clicked at the "big" characters above I got from www.adsotrans.com this:

忙里打高尔夫 韩国总理道歉并暗示可能辞职

When I clicked at the "small" characters below I got blank pop-up answer window!!

I have clicked at several characters and each time the reaction was the same.

Thank you.

I've a question.

When I click at a Chinese character .. several characters are DISPLAYED in an Adso pop-up window. Which criteria do you use for this subset of the characters? The whole characters in a sentence .. or the whole characters in a line .. or ...????

For example .. I read a whole report in a Chinese newspaper. That's why I must click a few times. Each time I must LOOK FOR the last character which I've read .. before I can continue reading the report. It is a little bit annoying .. ;)

But I feel I've a new tool ...! :)

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.5, Firefox 1.5.0.1 and Greasemonkey 0.6.4 and have installed the script, but still can not get it working :wall It shows up fine under "Manage User Scripts...", so I know it's there. Initially, I had a problem where pressing 'a' put Firefox into auto-find-as-you-type mode, which I had to change in the user_pref's under about:config. Is that normal for people to need to change that? Anyway, I'm still having absolutely no results. I'm wondering if one of my other Firefox plugins is getting in the way. I've got NoScript installed, which disables javascript in Firefox except for allowed pages, but have turned it off completely and restarted FF so I can't see how that would still be a problem. Looking through my other extensions there doesn't seem to be anything that would be causing a problem.

I see at least one other person has got this script running on OS X, though he seems to be experiencing some compatibility issues. Anyway, this is a plea for help :help to get this script working.

• 3 weeks later...

hlk123 --> download the file "adso.user.js" and look for these lines:

// Customize the Popup

var width_of_popup = 500;

var height_of_popup = 157;

var surrounding_text_length = 46;

The first two control the size of the popup window. The third controls the amount of text which is sent for analysis. If the software is picking up too much text by default, reduce that number to whatever feels more reasonable. You can also try increasing the size of the popup window and the amount of text it picks up if that is more convenient. Remember to reinstall the edited greasemonkey script.

kevin --> haven't heard of that problem with the Macintosh before, but I also don't have an Apple so am not in a good position to debug this sort of thing. You should definitely not need to do anything special for this particular greasemonkey script though.

I've been trying this out on my mac and I've noticed that on certain pages certain characters are NOT in the java popup box. Regardless of them not being there the translator is still translating them as if they were there. For instance 别的 will be missing the 别 but the translator will still say 'biede' and give you the correct translation.

Any ideas?