Chinese-Forums

How to say "good morning".

Haley

I've seen "good morning" written in two ways...

1) Zǎo shàng hǎo.

2) Zǎo chén hǎo.

What is the difference between the two greetings???

What is the appropriate usage for each greeting???

I've seen both greetings written with neutral tones on "shang" and "chen". Do I have the tones written correctly???

I also seen both greetings written with the first two words combined, "Zǎoshang" and "Zǎochen". What is the rule for combining words???

Thanks.

Do I have the tones written correctly???
Yes, you have.
What is the rule for combining words???
Don't worry about that, there are no spaces in written Chinese (and none in spoken Chinese either, of course), so the only time you'll have to put in spaces is when you're writing pinyin. There are rules for spaces in pinyin, but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who actually knows them, so even if you get it wrong, chances are nobody will notice.

In Cantonese,we say "Zǎoshang" as the meaning of "Zǎo shàng hǎo."
Zosun/早晨 in Cantonese.

There are a few romanisation methods in Cantonese, a bit confusing

Please confirm:

早晨 jou2 san4 would be zǎochen in Mandarin, I know this is used in Cantonese, not in Mandarin but when it's written formally, even in Hong Kong:

早上 jou2 seung5 / jou2 seung6 (?) would be zǎoshang in Mandarin, this reading is not common in Cantonese but zǎoshang is common for Mandarin.

Please confirm:

早晨 jou2 san4 would be zǎochen in Mandarin, I know this is used in Cantonese, not in Mandarin but when it's written formally, even in Hong Kong:

早上 jou2 seung5 / jou2 seung6 (?) would be zǎoshang in Mandarin, this reading is not common in Cantonese but zǎoshang is common for Mandarin.

All correct except 早上 != good morning in Mandarin.

no nobody say "晨安",sounds funny and cause confusion(looks like asking whether you are safe on the way).

also "早安" is just used between office or "white-collar" class, that looks more polite but orally!

if you want to greet to the common people, or you are not sure the people's statue, just say"早上好" , "你早" or “早”is enough