Echo 回声 ①
by Daryl Hine [加拿大]达里尔.海因
Echo that loved hid within a wood 回声爱躲藏在林中
Would to herself rehearse her weary woe: 为自己复述那久已倦乏的哀愁:
O, she cried, and all the rest unsaid 哦,她在哭泣,剩下难以言说的话语
Identical came back in sorry echo. 在若隐若现中,遗憾地回响。
Echo for the fix that she was in 回声呆呆地立在那儿
Invisible, distraught by mocking passion, 让她变得狂乱、透明的是所爱之人的戏仿,
Passionate, ignored, as good as dumb, 那人充满激情,却对她视而不见、无言无语,
Employed that O unchanged in repetition. 那笑声,哦,像个受雇的家伙,亘古不变地重复,重复,重复……
Shun love if you suspect that he shuns you, 逃离爱情吧,如果你怀疑他在躲避你,
Use with him no reproaches whatsoever. 善待他,不要有怨言。
Ever you knew, supposing him to know 因为你一直都明白,想来他也如此,
No melody from which you might recover- 你,终究无法重现一首完整的旋律。
Cover your ears, dear Echo, do not hear. 覆住你的耳朵,亲爱的回声,不要去听。
Here is no supplication but your own, 此间无他,唯有你自己的哀求,
Only your sighs return upon the air 唯有你叹息的旋律在脱口而出之前
Ere their music from the mouth be gone. 徘徊于天际。
选自《木马》,1965
Daryl Hine, “Echo” from Wooden Horses (New York: Atheneum Publishers, 1965).
①译者自注:
回声的英文单词是echo。在古希腊神话中Echo(厄科)本是一位山泽女神的名字。关于她的传说有很多,其中最具伤感色彩的一则是这样的:Echo被天后赫拉(Hera)剥夺了说话的能力,只能重复别人的话。这个缺陷使她失去了美少年纳西色斯(Narcissus)的爱情,于是厄科不断憔悴消损,最后她向阿芙罗狄忒(Aphrodite)祈求死亡。出于对她声音的喜爱,爱与美之神拒绝了她的祈求并让她化为回声,在山林之中永远徘徊。
Due to interest on poems all along and appreciation of this poem, the idea of translation came into my mind. Then I googled if anyone had translated this poem into Chinese, fortunately no one. So I did.
As you know, translation is always quite a difficult work, especially for poetry. It is said that poem translation is precisely like the version that loses half meaning of the original. Though it is very reasonable, I still persisted in doing the labored work with reverence and awe.
I couldnt ensure that I understood some words' meanings correctly, especially the whole 2nd section. So I translated them according to my comprehension and Chinese practice.
Any suggesion is appreciated.
Help









