Chinese-Forums

North Korea from China / Dandong

london82

As if North Korea isn't surreal enough, this BBC umm documentary? is also very surreal. Two surreals works for me! ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qpk0g

(I'm currently in Switzerland and use Tor to trick the IP address and cunning to dodgy my way around the slow download speeds, but VPN works easier.)

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't been there. Still like to go. Found this video report quite interesting. They were allowed to film quite a lot. Hope you like too:

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/vice-guide-to-north-korea-1-of-3

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/vice-guide-to-north-korea-2-of-3

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/vice-guide-to-north-korea-3-of-3

Pity, that link is for UK IPs only. But there is youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r11E9oDRw40 (part 1 of 6)

If in China, try this:

http://www.youtubecn.com/watch?v=r11E9oDRw40 (again part 1 of 6)

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

Hey guys, this thread has obviously been dead for a long time, but I would really appreciate any advice on cheap ways to get into NK. I have looked at the links in this thread, but most of them are dead/not working. If anyone knows any companies operating tours ATM I would very much appreciate any tips. Also I want to do a trip to NK in july-ish, if someone else is thinking about that. Going in a group obviously has its advantages.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt you will find much new information from westerners with the recent escalation on the border. Perhaps search through Chinese websites for a tour group, and they may be able to point you in the right direction. I think another member posted you can't join a Chinese tour group if you're a westerner. Except aussie_mate is Australian of Asian decent, so there are probably many factors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

hi i am also looking to go to NK julyish( flexible anytime from maybe 10th july to end of july.) i Will be staying in shenyang in the meantime.

FYI, i am able to find 2 agencies that operate a routine 4D3N tour to NK from dandong. It charges merely 2500rmb but unfortunately only for chinese passport holders. Westerners need to pay for twice that amount due to what seems like rules from the NK govt and has to sent in your passport information to the agencies earlier to process the visa.

the prices can be cheaper if u book in groups and maybe not opt for a english tour guide.

Ps i hold a singapore passport and has relatives in china and is effectively bilingual.

These is the 2 webpages in english. The chinese sites holds more information.

http://www.dd-guide.com/lsdw/zhongql/index.htm

http://www.ddcts.com/english.htm

Hope the info helps.

• 3 years later...

Jobm,

There are some simple rules to follow in speaking the North Korean language. Put simply stuff like orthograpy is different in North Korean and that carries over to the spoken language. By following these conversion rules one can speak in the North Korean readily enough. The accent and rhythm will be a little off, however.

Just curious to know, to the people who went to North Korea have an enjoyable time there?

Define enjoyable. Having a good time is great, but many of my travels have different goals (too). E.g. get an impression of a place without the colored filter of the mass media, having a unique experience, etc. Everywhere I went up till now (approx. 50 countries) I had good times and lesser times, this includes North Korea. To me North Korea felt far less unique then hoped for but non the less a worthwhile experience. Main regret is that I missed the Arirang games. I was the only non-chinese with a large Chinese group. The younger, english speaking professionals in the group seemed disappointed with North Korea.

Theres noting like dropping the sentence "Ive been to North Korea" into a conversation

Personally I consider this the wrong reason to travel. I travel for myself, not for what people may think about it. It's no secret where I go and what I do during my vacations. Nevertheless in many situations I tend to actively avoid namedropping of the more 'controversial' destinations I visited. It oftentimes only results in the same boring nonsense cliche reactions and silly questions. Though every once in a while people do surprise, sometimes positive by showing a far more knowledge and open mind then expected, often by showing that they've no clue what's going on in the world. I've been however highly surprised about how many people consider North Korea dangerous while many of these people think nothing of it when I tell about my little  'bicycle tour' in Somaliland.

Well do tell us about your 'bicycle tour' in Somaliland because I, for one, would be interested in that.

Looks like the Korea discussion has died out again for the time being so I can change the topic without feeling guilty:) If Roddy thinks it should be a different topic he'll split it off I guess.

Basicly I was already intrigued several years about Somaliland as a 'peaceful haven' in a 'sea of violence' as it is sometimes portrayed. That feeling increased when I visited another underdog (in a far lesser account) country Palestine. That was it for a few years. Then my colleague asked me to participate in a sponsor ride in Ethiopia for the Dutch branch of the Solar Energy Foundation.

I decided that this was a good opportunity to do another bicycle tour and to visit Somaliland. Early 2013 travel advice for Somaliland was adjusted negatively. This made me doubt about the trip due to safety concerns and insurance issue's in case something happens. But I convinced myself the change was due to political reasons as it was right after the US expressed support for the new government in Mogadishu and the change seemed to originate from there, security seemed still ok. Also very important, If I wouldn't visit Somaliland on this trip I would very likely never get there. So, mid november 2013 after the sponsor tour was finished I headed for Somaliland.

Still in Ethiopia, the Somali region had already a quite different feel with fair amount of hostile looks and a good number of people with firearms in the streets. The last stretch from Jijiga to the border was something of an experience. The first checkpoint just outside Jijiga I got interrogated and for a while I thought they would not let me through but in the end they did. The other checkpoints were easy, though large in number, the last stretch before the border town every couple of kilometers.

Then at the border I was asked for a visa. I told that I expected it to get it at the border, the border guard said I was informed incorrectly but immediately called for a colleague and started to question me and handed me the application form to fill out. Halfway filled out is was pulled from me and while pointing at my bicycle outside the office was told that it was impossible. I told them their representative office in London said it was no problem. They started calling around and in no time everything was arranged and as I wasn't sure how long exactly I wanted to stay (1-2 weeks) I got a visa for 30 days. All together less than half an hour.

The money changers didn't want to change my euro's and was referred to Dahabshiil office to change money. The office appeared closed and I had to wait several hours. As a guy told me that Ethiopian Birr are accepted all over the country I was not entirely convinced, still decided not to wait but to move on. The checkpoint outside the town gave me some hassle and I paid a couple of dollars baksheesh to get through. The only baksheesh I really paid but there was hassle to retrieve baksheesh several times.

The first night I stayed at Gabilay which surprised me by the extremely relaxed and friendly atmosphere. And then surprised me again as a girl approached me and invited me into her house. Her english wasn't too good but enough for a nice chat over dinner. In the end she invited me to stay the night which I declined as I had the impression it was more of a polite offer then a real wish for me to stay the night.

Next day I had planned to get off the main road to see some rock art. The roads were smaller then expected based on google earth pictures. They were mostly wide footpaths, but mostly very easy to cycle. Compared to the mainroad this was a revelation. I met friendly people enthusiastically greeting and waving to me. People tending fields, their traditional huts and mostly children herding the livestock. At some concrete building with men laying around they called me to stop. I just waved and went on. A little later I was passed by a car and basicly herded back to the concrete building. I was asked where I was going and then told that it was dangerous (they will kill you, they will kill you) and then told to take the main road. My impression is there was no danger at all, but the village elders didn't want me around. Possibly also some tribal issue's as later I learned that some villages dispute the guardianship of the rock art I wanted to visit.

Hargeisa appeared to be a dusty town with an extensive market in the centre. I stayed there a few days and visited Las Geel (rock art) Berbera a town on the coast that almost felt like a ghosttown and the camel market. Many people in Hargeisa are very friendly, but some annoying and suspicious people too. Then I biked to Borama which went perfectly fine till I came at the checkpoint before entering town. I was stopped and the police was called to pick me up at the checkpoint. At the police station I was questioned (only a little) and the police heavily debated what to do with me. In the end I was send off with orders to come back in the morning when the chief would be there. The next morning I was basicly told to do whatever I wanted but still they made very sure that I would get on the 4WD to Djibouti city as I had told them I had planned. A trip of roughly 240 km that took 40-45 hours from which about 24 hours waiting for a spare part after the 4wd broke down in a 'village' called Weeraar and an over 3 hour debate with the police in Boon about the legal status of me traveling without armed guard.

• Like 3