Chinese-Forums

Strange Text Messages from 7000#

jinjin

I have China mobile and I just got a new number at the end of April. I keep getting a strange text message from number "7000" 2-3 times a day. When I open it, it says that it is waiting to be downloaded (it's normally around 34kbs). My phone is unable to download the message so I just keep deleting it (and I worry whether it is a safe thing to open anyway).

Anyone else have this problem? My phone is a 1369#

Sounds like same old cellphone scam you get anywhere in the world.

At best its junk advertising that's costing you download Kb from your China Mobile credit, and at worst its junk advertising to try to entice a reply, and by replying you agree to pay for more junk advertising at extortionate rates.

I get plenty of this type of spam on China Unicom and used to on UK Vodafone. Its really easy to spot China Unicom spam on my British firmware cellphone cos everyone I know knows that it wont display Chinese characters. I just delete anything unreadable.

In the UK I registered my cellphone number with the government's "telephone preference service" not to receive unsolicited SMS, and when I get one I complain to Vodafone. Anyone, know if its possible to request China Unicom block this spam over here?

In general and in China, do not reply or call back to numbers you don't know or do not expect.

These scams are very common in China on all mobile networks. Particular the following: you get a call from an unknown (but displayed) number, which terminates before you have the chance to answer. They expect you to call back, but if you do, you'll be charged exorbitant rates.

You can assume the same with text messages.

This is not to say that all these text messages are scams. Most of them are usually spam. Unfortunately China does not apply the same privacy rules as Europe or the US, so there's no other way to get rid of them than to ignore/delete them.

I also got a china mobile phone (previosly with unicom). I had spam sms form both companies. With my ne china mobile number I also get the same "message waitnig for download" form 7000. I just delete them. I had hoped that my phone would have a function to block certain numbers, but I don't seem to be able to block texts.