Chinese-Forums

Dalian University of Technology

Thundercat8

I'm studying at DUT for a year starting in a few weeks! I was wondering if anybody else on here is either going there this year, has been there before, or knows anything about it. I am also staying with a local family, and am a little bit concerned that it's going to be very strict. I want to go out and have a good time, don't want a curfew at 9pm every night for example! (of course, if I did, I'd stick to it, don't want to insult my new family!)

谢谢啊!

I'm sure the classes will be fantastic at DUT, as it's quite an established course for teaching foreigners as far as I'm aware. I wanted to go somewhere a little more original than Beijing or Shanghai, and as I've already spent 6 months in Yunnan province, I decided Dalian was the place to be. I've never been before, so it's a little daunting that I've chosen somewhere to live for a year based on it's geographical location! Plus, I love being near the sea!!! (I live on an island...)

I've been told the classes are 8am - midday Monday - Friday, and that we can also learn other things in the afternoon. What kind of other courses can we do? Although I'd be rubbish at it, I would like to learn calligraphy. It's so beautiful!

What is Dalian like in terms of number of foreigners? I want to fully immerse myself in Chinese culture, and hope I don't get caught up in a maelstrom of ex-pats. Surely I can resist the urge, I just wondered what it was like in Dalian.

Does anyone know how we pay the tuition fees? In the email, it says I need to pay 13000Y or something like that, which is around £1000. Quite a lot to be carrying around in cash on my first day! Do I have to pay on the first day in cash, or do they accept cheques or cards?

Anyway, I really can't wait to go (under 2 weeks!) and as I'm not going with any classmates, I would love to get to know some people before i get there. Please feel free to send me a message and we can talk on MSN or something.

Thank you all.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent, it will be great to meet up with you! I don't know where you will be living, though I assume it'll be near the University. I have a Chinese mobile number I could give you on a private message, or we could just agree on a central location and time? Whatever, I'm easy :) I really like Dalian actually, it's a very modern, shiny, buzzing city, which is clean, pretty and impressive. Very Chinese actually, I was expecting it to be more Russian/Japanese like all the guidebooks say, but it's definitely a Chinese city!! Anyway, best of luck for your journey. Oh, and I'm certainly keeping my head up. Don't want to miss a thing!!

cool, yeah, I took the test today. who are you? this is brian... I had my big backpack with me today with all my stuff because I moved from a hotel to an apartment today... maybe you saw me.

why stress about the test? it doesn't matter how well you do, it just determines what class you go into. You could even do "too well," and end up in a class that was too difficult. I'm sure if you really want to be in a different class you can change, but I'll trust them to decide what's best for me.

Haha, what a small world. I'm Scott, the English guy who waited with you in the office before we found out there was no reason to. Hope you moved into your apartment alright. I guess I'll see you on Monday at the opening ceremony then. Have a good weekend :)

• 6 years later...