Chinese-Forums

Would anyone have suggestion for a chinese name for my daughter?

Sabine

Dear All,I would be very grateful for some help to find a name for my daughter. I have already another girl whose middle name is Mei Li and the surname is Heng. My second daughters name should also start with Mei as this is a tradition that runs in the family. However several options are already taken, like Mei Mei and Mei Ling.

I have been desperatly trying to find a name spending hours on the net, but so far to no avail. Does anyone know the meaning of Mei Xi and Mei Xue

Thank you so much!

Mei Xue could mean beautiful snow, implying being beautiful and clever (snow -> clear). Written in Chinese it is 美雪. Pronounced in Japanese it is Miyuki. A very nice name.

You know there are too many homonyms for "mei", "xi", "xue". 美雪 is just a guess. I am not sure what Mei Xi is. It could be 美希, 梅溪, 美熙, 媚茜 etc.

Mei Mei and Mei Ling sound like pandas' names.

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, I like Mei Xue and it has a nice meaning, someone in another thread remarked that westerners might have a problem on how to pronounce X so. Any more suggestions? I could not consider Mei Shi as one of the cousins name is Masy which would be too close. I came accross another name as well which is Mei Tian, is the meaning of this name 'Heavenly love'?

If the "Tian" is 天, I guess you could interpret "Mei Tian" as 'Heavenly love', although if I come across this name I would think it means beautiful sky (assuming your "mei" means beautiful). "love" is usually "ai". 'Heavenly love' is "Tian Ai / 天愛", which is a well-known HK artist's name.

(If you want the "Tian" to be unique, you could consider using the character 靝. It is seldom used but it has the same meaning and pronunciation as "Tian / 天". A colleague at my office actually has it in his name.)

Mei Tian could also mean beautiful and sweet (美甜) or fertile land (美田) or beautitul and calm/tranquil (美恬), etc, depending on the characters you choose.

I like Mei Xue as well, but as you say westerners could have a hard time pronouncing 'X'.

How about Mei Li? The Li (pronounced "lee") could be several including 丽 but if the Mei is the one for beautiful (美) then 丽 would be redundant as it also means beautiful. But there are other Li's to choose from.

Thank you so much Skylee for you thorough explanation. The meaning of Mei in my daughters name is beautiful if I was considering a name that also starts with L would you have any suggestions? Is there a name like Mei Lei, Mei Lai ? And what meanings could be attributed to Mei Lian?

I so much appreciate your hel

Thanks for all your help! Another name I came accross is Mei Yian, Mei Xian, would anyone know their meaning? I hope that this is my last cry for help as I really have to decide soon. Is there an alternative way to write Mei Xue? I am not sure how many of the names are actually pronounced.

Thanks,

Sabine

In Hanyu Pinyin (the official romanisation scheme now in use in Mainland China), there is not a "Yian" sound. There is however "Yan". "Mei Yan" could be 美, or 美彥, or 美, or 美. There are also other possibilities.

As to "Mei Xian" (hey it is still an "x"), it could be 美, or 美, or 美,etc.

As to alternative way to write Meixue, I suppose you mean in Chinese Characters. For a name, I can't think of other common alternatives, except perhaps 美學, which is still odd. So, for a name Meixue is 美雪. But if you mean alternative ways to romanise the name, well, you could try "shiue", "hsueh", or "syue" but they are not Hanyu Pinyin.

PS - in case you don't know, the drink Milo's Chinese name is also pronounced Mei Lu.

Meilin or Meiling are a bit trite I think, about every other woman here in Taiwan has that name (ok, I'm exaggerating, but it's very, very common). Meiluo or Meilun is more unique, and not too likely to be severly mispronounced, as would be the case for Meiqiao or Meixian.