Chinese-Forums

Getting a Z (working) visa in Hong kong

onebir

Anyone done this recently? Got to do it around 29th, & was wondering if there's anything on the recent changes have resulted in any tightening up that hasn't yet made its way to the website

I'm specifically worried about whether I need originals of degree certs etc. Yesterday the (braindead &/ irresponsible) administrator at the school said I did. So I frantically got relatives to mail them from the UK. This afternoon she called me to say she looked at the website, and I didn't. The site also makes no mention of them on the requirements page:

4. Z visa for employment in China

Foreign experts, scholars, teachers or managers to be working in Mainland China shall provide visa notice form from an authorized department and the certificate or the confirmation letter for foreign experts from the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs of PRC;

Note: Foreigners employed in China for one year or longer is required to provide health certificate.

But who knows whether that's up to date. & it's still an issue because the originals might not reach me before the 29th... the same goes for the docs mentioned above of course :roll:

There's some slight hope for me - the Chinese is phrased differently:

近来申办签证人数大幅增加,为减少申请人轮候时间,如您不在香港特区长期生活和工作,请您在赴中国旅行前向您所在国家的中国使领馆查询并申办签证.

(See here)

Which I'd translate as:

Recently there have been many visa applicants. To cut waiting times, if you're not a long term resident/worker in Hong Kong, before travelling to China please apply for a visa at the Chinese embassy/consulate in the country where you're currently located.

I can't apply for a visa from the country I'm currently in (China). So maybe I'm a special case. Or maybe 规定就是规定.

I'll try calling them tomorrow. Might as well drop the visa agencies a line while I'm waiting too.

Incredibly, this is the reply I got from the Consulate:

Prepare all the documentaion we need and you can apply in our office.

And from Shoestring Travel*:

With reference to your below message, we are delighted to assist you to apply for the Z visa but the approval or not will be entirely at the discretion of the visa issuing office.

This is somewhat hedged, so perhaps even the visa agents at Shoestring don't feel that they can keep up to date with the changes in the regulations...

From Foreverbright Travel*:

Yes.Price for Irish passport is HK$600.00

I'll be going direct to the Commissioners office, printout of this exchange in hand. Not that that'd make any difference. The agents also offer a subsequent bites at the cherry...

(Japan Travel say can't help at the moment.)

================================================================

*For reference, here's what I sent the visa agents:

Hello

I'm coming from the mainland to HK soon to apply for a Z visa (Irish

passport). I'll have all the supporting documents (visa notice from

the school, certificate from foreign experts bureau & health

certificate).

Can your office deal with this application? If so, what's the fee?

I'm on a student visa now, and the company I've been working for part-time is about to hire me as a full-time employee. I've begun discussing the details of getting my work visa, and they just told me I have to fly back to America (my home country) to get it. SH*T! They said all foreigners have to go back to their home countries to get a work visa.

I've begun discussing the details of getting my work visa, and they just told me I have to fly back to America (my home country) to get it. SH*T!

Well, that's not what the office in HK said. I don't quite believe it either, but if you can wait till next Thursday I should be able to confirm it.

Yeah, I can wait. My student visa expires on August 20th. I was pushing the company a bit because I didn't want my visa procedures to slip through the cracks, as has happened to me and other people I've known. This company seems to be pretty up on things, though. Hopefully this is just a classic case of miscommunication, and I don't need to spend $1,000 + USD to fly back home only to change my visa type. Anxiously awaiting your response . . .

I was pushing the company a bit because I didn't want my visa procedures to slip through the cracks, as has happened to me and other people I've known.

Tell me about it. Chinese administrators attitudes to what's "their responsibility" can be so narrow the cracks can be huge.

The admin at the school that offered me a job told me I'd have to go to Hong Kong, but didn't explain why or point me to the website. Then only 9 days before my visas due expire, she misinformed me that I'd need my original degree certs. So I immediately got relatives to post them over. When I complained she said this was "all my responsibility, not hers". But she never bothered to tell me that. To which her answer was "you should have asked the other foreign teachers".

When she finally looked at the HK commission website she discovered they weren't necessary - but failed to point out the text that suggested I wouldn't be able to apply in HK. She also told me getting the docs required from the foreign experts bureau "normally" takes 30 days. Since she'd only applied 15 days before the expiry date she said she "couldn't guarantee" I'd get them before going to HK. And was totally unwilling to make any back-up plans.

I went to the Deputy head of the Foreign Education Centre, then down to her boss. Fortunately he's been abroad (Wales!) and could understand what I'm talking about....

Hopefully this is just a classic case of miscommunication, and I don't need to spend $1,000 + USD to fly back home only to change my visa type. Anxiously awaiting your response . . .

It would be crazy to have to do this, and they do seem to be making an exception for this situation... If I haven't posted by the weekend PM me.

Bad news - a friend of mine in the same situation mailed the consulate and got this reply:

Applicant is required to apply his/her Chinese visa from the Embassy or Consulate-General of Peoples' Republic of China in the country where he/she resides or works permanently.

The different answer could be because we hold different passports (me: Irish, him: UK). If that's the reason, US passport holders might also be subjected to this - they often seem to get Chinese visas on less favourable terms than citizens of some other developed countries.

I'll find out tomorrow. For anyone who wants to enquire about their own particular circumstances the consulate staff seem to reply to emails pretty promptly (address on this page).

I double checked with my company and asked if they were sure that I had to go back to the States. They said yes, and that the rule was implemented in April.

I just emailed the commissioner's office and asked. I'll post the reply.

That's an exact copy and paste from the website I think - I might be inclined to ask 'even if I can prove that I've already been working in China and have full documentation for a Z visa application? '

Applicant is required to apply his/her Chinese visa from the Embassy or Consulate-General of Peoples' Republic of China in the country where he/she resides or works permanently.

Here's the response I got . . . not very clear.

Just realized this is exactly the same response posted earlier, not too helpful. Sorry!

Again, that's a copy and paste from the website's

1. Applicant is required to apply his/her Chinese visa from the Embassy or Consulate-General of Peoples' Republic of China in the country where he/she resides or works permanently. For special case, the applicants should enquire this office in advance. Enquiry number is 0852-34132424 (10:00 am-11:00am and 3:00pm-4pm on every working day)(updated from April,2008)

I'd be specifying that I think I'm a special case as I am already based in China and traveling home would be a massive inconvenience both for you and for your company. And if they still say no, ask them what a special case would be.

Sorry if you've already done that, but if so can you let us know what 'special' circumstances you put forward so others know what hasn't worked.

They accepted my application (preceded by two back-to-back HK Fs, the last one extended one month on medical grounds, Irish passport). Re what makes me a 'special case' I did mention when I emailed them that I was in China & my contract was due to begin soon. But the official didn't check ask about that, & I didn't have to show the printout of the email I was keeping in reserve.

I think if they accept an application you basically get the visa. I hope to pick it up tomorrow morning...

The only reason for the (apparent) difference in treatment I can think of is nationality: Irish (& many other European nationals) seem to get charged less than UK & US nationals & in the past to have had an easier time getting visas than US nationals.

I sent them another email explaining my situation (living in China for 3 1/2 years, currently on student visa, but had 2 work visas before), and here is their reply:

If you are not in Hong Kong, it will be a high cost for you to have a try in our office. So we suggest your flying to the USA for visa application.