CLI ad

Put your message here

Welcome to Chinese-forums.com

Since 2003 we've been helping people learn Chinese, study and work in China, find Chinese books, movies or music. We are active, friendly and helpful. Check out recent and popular posts on the home page, see the full forums listing or sign up for free now.

Member quotes:

"This forum is a goldmine of information, and I'm so glad it's here!"
"...the kindest, most interesting and most useful help."
"...a godsend!"

Popular Posts

Photo
- - - - -

“你真是的”

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 share YuehanHao

YuehanHao
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 173 posts
  • Chinese:步枪和小米

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:38 AM

I am sometimes scolded by my wife when she gets annoyed with me, “你真是的." At least I think those are the correct characters.

I sort of have a feel for what this means, but I wonder if anyone could help me by offering a translation to English.

谢谢,

约翰好

Site Sponsors

Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Mandarin in Beijing Tailored, intensive classes from professional teachers, for real results. Business Chinese
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
The Hutong School in China Learn Chinese, intern or volunteer in Beijing, Shanghai and Chengdu with the Hutong School.
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.
Put your message here

#2 share L-F-J

L-F-J
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

perhaps "you're really.....", dare not say! :mrgreen:

#3 share Hanlink

Hanlink
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

The characters are correct. It is a very mild, even polite rebuke (since it leaves out any possibly implied profanity). Depending on the circumstances and the tone in which it is said, the meaning could well move from humorous to extremely irritated and it is that which would probably dictate the translation into English. Either way, you would not translate with a profanity. I would start with: "You really are [too much]", which is quite a close translation to a "Good heavens, man" or an open "Oh, no!" It depends what fits.

#4 share L-F-J

L-F-J
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

真是的 is an interjection of annoyance or frustration. translate it as you'd see fit.

#5 share roddy

roddy

向Imron同志学习

• user photo
  • Administrators
  • 16,134 posts
  • Chinese:暂无

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:59 AM

I find myself thinking of it as the 'what are you like . . . ?' in (British, I guess) English. It's kind of playful, doesn't really express any actual failing - you're not being told you're an idiot, or disorganized, or slow on the uptake - it's just general low-level and not very important irritation. It's used when you can't find your keys, not when you can't find the baby.

#6 share Curtass

Curtass
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

"You're such a -"
"You're so - "
"You're really - "

Something along those lines.

#7 share aprilz

aprilz
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:48 PM

"How can you do this to me (or somebody else)!" I think 是 here is closer to the original meaning "这样", so 你真是的 can be translated into: 你真的做了这样的事!

#8 share HedgePig

HedgePig
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 224 posts
  • Chinese:Permanent Beginner

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

As you know, Chinese is an extremely compact language and so when your wife says "你真是的", it can be translated more or less as:

"You are low-down, two-timing, conniving, untrustworthy, scheming, revolting, unwashed rear-end of the least esteemed member of the porcine tribe and more unpleasant than the stuff that collects in the shower drain after a long, hot and humid summer. Added to this, you combine the worst qualities of a particularly malodorous skunk with those of misanthropic hyena. It's also your turn to cook dinner and do the dishes."

(I may not have got the exact tone of the "的” quite right.)

I do not expect any fee for this translation service.

Regards
HedgePig

(Sorry. It's been a long day! :-)

#9 share semantic nuance

semantic nuance
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

HedgePig, 你真是的! :mrgreen:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users