Chinese-Forums

What to study after Heisig

zedar

>> The 2nd book is not out yet and it probably still will take quiet some time to make.

Do you know for sure? I hope its out soon, and I cant see it being too difficult to produce after the first one. All the hard work of training the method is in the first 500 characters of the first book. The second book should be slimmer overall and mostly just have hints on radical introduction and lists of characters building on each other.

Hi Zedar,

I have found something, that seems - to me at least - pretty much perfect for post-Heisig-studies:

http://www.iknow.co.jp/series/3334

It introduces 2700 hanzi in 10 lists à ca. 250 Hanzi. You probably learned most of the Hanzi in lists 1-6 or so in terms of Heisig-keyword already.

The lists provide at least one example sentence containing words containing the Hanzi in question. It provides excellent audio-recordings that go along with it (also a pic - which adds some fun). And to top it all: you can even (legally!) download all the stuff into anki via - this anki-plugin

http://ichi2.net/anki/wiki/Plugins#ImportyouriKnowitems.2Candgenerallists

(however I did not quiet manage to get sentences into my deck - but a fix of my brain or the import script is underway)

As I am kinda in the same boat as you are in (I also have lots of "dormant"-Heisig hanzi in my head) , I will go forth with this after studying all my new cards in anki (which should be done in a weeks work - can't wait!)

Edited by HerrPetersen

Yeah - it really is cool stuff. If you want to keep using mnemosyne (and mnemosyne only) you should be able to use anki's export to txt function and import the stuff to mnemosyne.

On the other hand it might be a good idea to check out anki to form an opinion on which one you like better an then make a final decision.

Anyhow - can you post, if you manage to import sentences into anki? So far I have failed.

EDIT: I managed to import sentences with the new plugin. However I seem to not be able to *only* load sentences. But this is not a big deal since it creates two models, one for vocab, one for sentences, so deleting the vocab model should do the trick.

Also be sure to punch in "en" for your language, I made the mistake and typed in "zh-CN" since I figuered the plugin was asking what language I want to *study* and not what language I want to *study in*.

Edited by HerrPetersen

• 1 month later...

For those currently using Heisig Book 1, I thought I'd mention that I recently asked the publisher about publication dates for Book 2, and they said that they already have the book in stock at their Pennsylvania warehouse. My query was about Simplified but they seem to be publishing both in tandem, so perhaps they have Traditional as well.

I'm 2/3rds of the way through book 1 and finding it very effective when paired with anki. The only thing I find a little dispiriting is looking at, say, those smart.fm sentences and translating 他們的女兒很可愛 as 'He..[something]..of..woman..[something]..very..can..love'. But I suppose with this method you've got to focus on the long game - building a solid foundation of hanzi before beginning to put them together into multi-character words and sentences.

Hi Spiff,

Great to hear the second book shouldn't be far away.

Ive studied similar to you, with heisig simplified and SRS (mnemosyne) and found it to be very effective.

The method is great at remembering the writing, and approximate meaning of characters, but as your finding its not aimed at reading words.

他們 的 女兒 很 可愛

Are you studying reverse? The reason I ask is..

Sometimes reading I recognize a character but just can't recall its meaning, the book says reverse should come naturally over time and not be studied directly using the method so I have stuck to this. However I finished the first 1500 6 weeks ago, and have been using SRS every day and am having a hard time seeing improvement in reading speed and meaning.

I'm wondering if I should add reverse cards and start studying them to improve recognition speed.

I found, that when learning material (e.g sentences from smart.fm) your ability to read the vocab contained in these sentences comes quiet natural. For speeding things up, imron's tips are probably gold.

Maybe the smart.fm sutffis a little too hard though, for someone who is a complete newbie. In this case the "Assimil Chinese with Ease" is a good option to start out. I cut out around 1000 audio-sentences which start out from level 0 (aka ni3 hao3 ma) - if you have the book (Assimil) and are interested in having those just contact me via pm.

Other than that the lists from smart.fm have one great advantage for Heisig-learners: you can check each list, you want to learn, for unknown Hanzi, learn those Hanzi Heisig-style and then go on to actually learn the list. Here a link to a thread with an excel-sheet that finds unknown Hanzi:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/20159-creating-lists-of-unknown-hanzi

I also have a Javascript/Html file in which you can enter lists of new vocab, a list of your known Hanzi+keyword and it will output the new vocab with keywords like this:

虽(zwar)然(sort of thing);

放(set free)弃(abandon)[-棄] ¹fàngqì* v. abandon; give up;

出(exit)口(mouth) chūkǒu v.o. ①speak; utter

比(compare)较(contrast)[-較] bǐjiào* v. ①compare; contrast

附(affixed)近(near) fùjìn* n. vicinity

不(negative)动(bewegen)[-動] bù dòng v.p. not move

安(relax)装(attire)[-裝] ānzhuāng* v. install; erect; fix; mount

note: those are definitions taken from Wenlin and I have German-keywords mixed with Remembering the KANJI keywords.

@HerrPetersen

I have put together the complete smarftfm Mastering ChineseCharacter series material in a way,that you can study and review each sentence randomly sortable for Lesson 1 -Less 10.

You can search Gb, Pin, Eng etc. You get a clickable sheet with sound, Picture, Gb, Eng, Grammar Structure, Words (clickable with German and Eng HSK and Hande and CCdict -translations).

The sound playing feature requires Firefox.

here

I think those suggesting to learn 3000 hanzi before coming into contact with any sentences are wrong. We are learning a language not winning a memory contest.

Read sentences, any material with context way before you end Heisig.

Try the DeFrancis Series of readers.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Chinese-Reader-Part-I/dp/0300020600/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239199260&sr=8-2

I think those suggesting to learn 3000 hanzi before coming into contact with any sentences are wrong.

Really? If it works for those people, how can they be wrong? That doesn't mean it's the best way for everyone, but there isn't a right or wrong way to go about learning a language, provided that what you do actually results in you learning the language.

I think those suggesting to learn 3000 hanzi before coming into contact with any sentences are wrong. We are learning a language not winning a memory contest.
Really? If it works for those people, how can they be wrong?

I didn't make the original two quotes but if I may interject here, I think what the first person said is quite true, as a language learner you should always seek out authentic texts as much as you can. Route learning vocab can only get you so far. Sure, it's great to consolidate your learning, and help with your visual recognition ability, but in order to truly understand how they work in real-life texts, one must seem them in action. After all, that is what language is - a living, breathing thing, with contexts and realities, and if you ignore that and just learn every word in isolation you're missing out on getting to the heart of the meaning.

• Like 1

@ HerrPetersen

"Every picture tells a story." ( I startet to print them out in thumbnails on 6 posters.)

It could be a good idea to try to link Heisig-keywords to the iKnow-sentences.

As I don´t work with Heisig, it would be nice to know, if there is already a worksheet with complete keywords and stories either in English or German. The Heisig-approach reminds you of the writing of the character and the iKnow sentences show you the correct usage of these characters as words. For the drilling you can use smartfm.com or anki or whatever.

Ole

@ Ole - I agree with HP, that's really impressive.

@ Herr Petersen:

I also have a Javascript/Html file in which you can enter lists of new vocab, a list of your known Hanzi+keyword and it will output the new vocab with keywords

Could you say a bit more about this? Is it the sort of thing that would be customisable by someone with little coding knowledge?

Here is the file.

In the first field you need to put hanzi and keyword like this: (these have to be tab separated so you need to copy paste from excel or similar)

一 ONE

In the second the new vocab entries/text etc. are entered:

one num. 一 yī; 壹 yī; 幺[么] yāo

press "und los" and this comes out:

one num. 一(ONE) yī; 壹 yī; 幺

It is all java-script. So yeah I guess you can customize it. (Even though I think you would be better off to restart from scratch - someone who can programm will hate this file) Also bear in mind, that for larger lists it might take a little longer (up to a minute or so).

As for Heisig and Smart.fm used together: I basically see to "good" ways:

1.) Learn the unknown charachters of a list first Heisig style and then learn the list itself.

2.) Take a smart.fm-list, use a programm/script to delete all entries to be left with a list that includes only Heisig-hanzi.

definition_input.rar

Yeah - it is that small. I just downloaded on a different computer and it works here... :conf

Here it says 652 Bytes. It is just a html-file cointaining. Just so you can laugh at me, here once more in text format:

<html>
<head>
<title>Wenn am Anfang der Zeile das Steuerzeichen Tab steht (Ascii %09) - die betreffende Zeile wegmachen.</title>
<script language="JavaScript">

function los()
  {
   erstesfeld = document.doof.dumm.value;
   zweitesfeld = document.doof.dummzwei.value;

Imerstenfeld = erstesfeld.split("n");
Imzweitenfeld = zweitesfeld.split("");

for(x=0; x<Imerstenfeld.length; x++)
    {
        gleichtabsweg = escape(Imerstenfeld[x]);
	 Tabsweg = gleichtabsweg.split("%09");
	 for(y=0; y<Imzweitenfeld.length; y++)
	     {
		  if(unescape(Tabsweg[0]) == Imzweitenfeld[y])
                {
                 Imzweitenfeld[y] = Imzweitenfeld[y] + "(" + unescape(Tabsweg[1]) + ")";
                }				 

}

}
   document.doof.dummdrei.value = Imzweitenfeld.join("");

}

</script>

</head>

<body>

<form name = "doof">
<table>
<tr>
<td>