Chinese-Forums

Anybody tried out Xunlei?

mewmew

Anybody care to share their thoughts on Xunlei? Is it just a download accelerator or is it a separate network where users share files like a p2p client? I am mostly interested in cantonese content so I'm curious about its userbase as well (the company that makes the software is in Shenzhen - a stone's throw away from Hong Kong). I would have tried it myself, but haven't because I heard it has lots of adware packaged in and an incomplete uninstaller.

I have been using it for a while and have to say its been alright... every scan by NIS 09 I have run has not picked up any adware or malware connected with it... I think its more like a p2p client, I like it, its quicker than most others I have tried and pretty clean, it even runs a security check on the downloads (at least it has so far)... I use it mainly for downloading the First Episode project tv series... I am not sure about the incomplete uninstaller... I have not yet tried to uninstall it as it works well for me...

And further to my earlier post... It does have these little pop ups that suggest various games/movies so I guess it does have some adware after all... but I gather these are like the yahoo ones (like you get at the sides of your emails or in the little window above the mail box on the main page)...

Hi Tony,

I saw that Wiki entry on Xunlei. Curiously enough, I'm not as concern about the internet security threat that it poses. Perhaps because I've had programs in the past scanned as viruses when they were benign? Anyways, I should really try it out myself only I've got some stuff on my hard drive I'd like to back up first.