Chinese-Forums

All about Qingdao? The Good, Bad Ugly.

chanman207

Hi,

I'm a 22yr old student, Chinese-American from Maine,USA. I'm going to be studying in Qingdao for the summer months of 2009 late-May to late-August. I've been to Taiwan in 2004 (Loveboat program), Beida (Nanhai program). I really want to experience a 2nd tier city. However, I have no idea what to think about Qingdao besides websites, I would really love to hear from people that have personally been to Qingdao or are currently living there. It would be much appreciated!

I plan on studying at Qingdao University of Chinese, I'm choosing QU stictly based on location, closer to the city.

Also, I don't plan on applying to QU through third-party programs. They over-charge like crazy fees!! But would it be harder to meet people because I'm going at in alone and not through a program? I just don't want to be lonely for 3 months.

Ok well anyways, please leave me any information that help thank you so much in advance. :help

You might want to consider Qingdao Ocean University or Qingdao University. Both are major universities in Qingdao. The school you mentioned seems like a special school for teaching Chinese to foreigners. There you might not have much contact with local students, and you might be around too many English speakers.

See here:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/26-traditional-vs-simplified-characters208

Learning chinese in Qingdao

http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?p=81023#post81023

I go to Qingdao too

http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?p=85311#post85311

Dalian or Qingdao?

Hey,

i'm currently living in Qingdao and have been for the last 4 years. Its a really good city and i'm sure you'll enjoy it here, especially in the Summer when you're coming. Basically everyone i know is studying, or has studied at the universities in Qingdao. The quality of the teaching is all very similar so Qingdao University is a good choice as it located conveniently. You'll defintely not be lonely as there are always tons of foreign students around either studying full-time or for the summer programs. If you've got any probs or questions you can message me

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me about the cost of living in Qingdao? I am considering Kunming but I jsut found out a friend of mine will be in Qingdao (and I know o chiense so having a contac tI thin kwould be good). Are things pretty cheap? Or is it expensive since it's a costal city?

Now I live in Qingdao, before that, I lived in Shanghai. Comparing with Shanghai, the cost of living in Qingdao is much much cheaper. Especially if you need rent an apartment. And what's more, the weather here is really good, and you can always see the beautiful scenery of seaside. :rolleyes:

• 10 months later...
  • New Members

hi i am a 20 year old guy going to study at china university of petroleum . i have no idea what to expect . how is the life on campus . do students party a lot . are u allowed to have a girlfriend? i really need to make friends . any advice is highly appreciated. one more thing i am black and 1.9 meters tall.

what is the Chinese attitude towards black dudes do u think it will be easy to hook up some of the locals?!