Chinese-Forums

Life in Hainan Hainan 海南

reallych1932

Hi Everybody

I'm thinking of studying in Hainan this September. Does anyone have any experience of Studying/living working visiting the island?

I've searched the forums but the info seems out of date

Of particular interest

1) which is the best Uni to study at?( Location/ quality of Teaching?) Which campus is nearest the beach? :D

2) Is it very expensive?(approx) How much to rent an appartment?

3) Is malaria a problem?

Any other experiences greatly appreciated

Many thanks

If I remember correctly there is only one Uni on the whole island in a city in the middle called wu zhi shan city or Tongzi by the locals. There is none in Sanya and now that I think about it there may be one in Haikou- the capitol.

So there is no universities near the nice beaches. And as far as I know no place that could help you get a visa and study at their "school".

Rent is reasonable compared to the mainland but can't remember the prices off the top of my head. A decent place in Sanya [not near the beaches but within a 20-30 minute bus ride of them] was DEFINITELY under a 1000 a month.

Malaria is not a problem.

You will run into a lot of russians down there but other than that....don't know what to tell you. I love the island during January and February. Any other time- I die.

Thanks for the reply

To follow up. Why do you hate ghe island the rest of the time? Is it too hot? too boring?

What is wu zhi shan city / Tongzi like?

Is Hai Kou a good place?

Thanks

Edited by reallych1932
spelling mistakes

Haikou is just okay, nothing special in my opinion even though there are definitely those that like it. I call it the city of fog because all [3] times I've been there I couldn't see 5 feet in front of my face.

Tong zi is GORGEOUS and green. Lots of minorities, small, no western influence, type of place [except for a few hotels]. First place I ever went in China and it's just nice. But HUMID.

The island is hot. I hate heat. Hence, I avoid the island. I have good friends that live there though, so I go when I can.

I currently live in Haikou and love it. There is very little pollution, living is cheap, and the people are great. If you want to study Chinese here there are many schools that can get you a visa. Hainan University is large and has many foreign students. Premier Language School is very small but currently has 5-6 foreign students I am working at a new school called Omeca college and I know that they are planning to begin a program to teach Chinese to foreigners shortly. You should be able to google any of these schools for more information. Yes, it is HOT here for much of the year, but most places have AC and you adjust to it. Fog happens on occasion, but I find it's generally cleared out before too long by a nice torrential downpour or two! We do get typhoons on occasion, which is kind of exciting!

Email me if you have more questions, or you want to go out for coffee and get shown around town when you arrive.

Nicki

My email is at google, wallaby78erik.

Email me if you have more questions

Ideally keep questions on the forums where possible - that way there's a better chance of more responses, and they are in public so more people can benefit.

Thanks everybody

All Info positive or negative greatly appreciated.

Particularly looking for anyone who is studying or has studied at HaiNan uni 海南大学.

Some people say the campus is way in land others at Haikou. I'm getting confused -anyone know for sure?

I studied at Haida a few years back, it is on Haidian Island, which is the northernmost part of the city, facing the Qiongzhou Strait. You could walk to the beach in about 20 minutes from the north gate. Much faster if you rode a bike - but those beaches aren't that great. Haikou's best beaches are to the west (Holiday Beach), or further to the east.

Hainan Normal University is a lot further inland, and not close to any beach, though I would imagine it would be cheaper to live in that area.

I paid 650RMB/month for a brand new 50 square meter apartment when I lived there. Finding good places like that cheap depends on knowing people and ability to deal in Chinese.

• 3 months later...

1)Hainan Uni is the best city in Hainan Island. it's old campus in Haikou is not far a way from beach( new campus is far away from beach ). I haven't go to beach from there and seldom go to that uni. it takes 1h from the city center to that uni, and it take 2h to the beach from the city center.

2) if you rent a apartment outside school, you can rent a nice room with full furniture in a cheap price, say 100 USD per month at most. or you can rent a simple single room with $30/month. i don't know the apartment in school for international students there.

3) you can careless about this problem there( as opposite to guangzhou or beijing ). Hainan was the only place without SARS in China.

btw, my hometown in haikou, hainan. :Dhainan island is famous for good environment in china. it's one of the best environment place to live and travel in china...you can find the detail by google.

now i'm in Guangzhou, i haven't realize the good environment of my hometown before i came here. I found that it's dirty and noisy in guangzhou, and many thieves and something like that here. so hainan is much better.

there are beaches in Haikou. you can search it.

• 6 months later...

Hello everybody, I am thinking also to live in January and February 2011 in Hainan. Can you advise me with a nice not expensive room good location for spending the winter there. Hainan, Sanya? Where How? I don't now any site for acomodations but I can not pay for a 2 months hotel room.

Thanks in advance, Youliana

jantonova49@yahoo.com

• 5 years later...
  • New Members
I want to study Mandarin in China and I have found Hainan to the best price and what on my budget, also Hainan look beautiful.  I have looked into PLS for my study, however, there been some mixed feeling about that school,  I have read about Hainan University and hear some good comments about it, however, it pretty old.  

Do you have any recommendation or any suggestion, or who I can talk to about this?

Any information can be helpful.

Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from you