Chinese-Forums

TUT or Tianjin university? Which one is better?

esroh

Hello,

I'm planning to study Chinese at either Tianjin University of Technology (CIE at TUT) or Tianjin University. I kinda heard that Tianjin University is the best in Tianjin but when i emailed both universities, TUT always replied to me the very next day while TU first reply to me kinda like a week later and from the exchange of emails i got it seems that TUT staffs write better English than at TU. So I'm really wondering which one to choose from.

Is TU really better in terms of Chinese learning program that TUT?

There's a reason why TUT reply so quick, 'cos they're desperate for students! I'm planning to study at Tianjin Normal university in March 2010 which is probably on a par with Nankai university. My wife is from Tianjin and she said Tianjin university, Nankai and Tianjin Normal are all a lot better than TUT. If you're set on either of those two then definitely go for TU.

What's your wife basing that on though? There are pretty fixed perceptions in China of which universities are more prestigious than others for degree study, but it doesn't necessarily carry over to the departments which teach Chinese to foreigners. And the idea that a quick response = desperation is a bit daft. It could just mean efficiency, or good luck in catching someone at their desk.

What's your wife basing that on though? There are pretty fixed perceptions in China of which universities are more prestigious than others for degree study, but it doesn't necessarily carry over to the departments which teach Chinese to foreigners.

The reputation of the university is produced from the quality of the teachers so its a good rule of thumb that the better universities will have better teachers in any of their departments but its possible some areas are not so good. Of course its possible for the worse universities to have better Chinese teaching for foreigners though. Although its just as possible they may happen to be better at teaching certain other subjects too.

And the idea that a quick response = desperation is a bit daft. It could just mean efficiency, or good luck in catching someone at their desk.

Well its possible. If they take a while to respond its probably because they're busy as they have a lot of intake already. I'd advise phoning the university. Enrolment for Tianjin Normal university is not until November anyway so its better to wait until then.

What's your wife basing that on though? There are pretty fixed perceptions in China of which universities are more prestigious than others for degree study, but it doesn't necessarily carry over to the departments which teach Chinese to foreigners. And the idea that a quick response = desperation is a bit daft. It could just mean efficiency, or good luck in catching someone at their desk.

From what I've heard, TUT is decent, but probably not outstanding. Most foreigners in Tianjin will study at Tianjin University, Nankai, Tianjin Normal University, or Tianjin Foreign Studies University, (I will leave out the medical school for now, since most people don't go there to study Chinese). TUT would probably be 5th on the list, and not a bad choice. I don't think they're desperate for students, (at least any more than any other school). I'd still pick Tianjin University, though, because they have better dorms, their administration seems to be pretty good when you are here, and the school is in a more central location. TUT's location isn't terrible, but there isn't a whole lot nearby. I can't speak personally about the quality of instruction, but I haven't heard anything that indicates to me TUT would be better than TU.

Also, keep in mind the timeframe when you contacted the schools. If you tried to talk to TU during the first two weeks of October, there is a good chance that a large amount of the administrative staff was on break for the October Holidays.

• 2 months later...

Im actually studying at Tianjin University, and so far it has been pretty demanding (im studying the language right now) the teachers are preety good, and most of them have an undertandable english level, but latter on they will just try to speack chinese to you, in total we have 5 subjects, so we are pretty bussy in a dayly bassis, I totally recomend it, and next semester we are about to start other classes related to chemistry math and fisic:lol: so giving a back up to other post, yes, is good to listen to what chinese people say or comment about their own universities:wink:

Tianjin is my hometown!

I'd say that Nankai and Tianjin Univ.'s are the two nationwide top-tier schools in the city in terms of their history, resources and public perception. Tianjin Normal Univ is known for training teachers in all fields and for all levels before college. It's also very reputable. I don't know exactly about the language programs (I'd agree with Roddy that there can be a different ranking), but to me it's still more likely that these three schools carry more decent Chinese programs than the others in the city.

Actually, guessing not many people here know this, TIANJIN UNIVERSITY (founded in 1895, formerly called Beiyang University) IS THE EARLIEST MODERN UNIVERSITY IN ALL OF CHINA! Not bragging, read this!

Congratulations to everybody who made the right choice to come to Tianjin to study!!! Enjoy the great food and have tons of fun talking to the local people!

---

End of Ad

Edited by isela

I went to Nankai for a year. It was okay, but the classes are all quite full. I would reckon however, that their program is better than the one at Tianjin. There were quite a few Korean classmates I knew who went from Tianjin University to Nankai because their Chinese program for foreigners was better.

• 2 months later...

Im plannign to come to China in september 2010 to learn chinese. Im plannign on studying somewhere near the tianjin area because i have family that lives in a city called Teda (about 40 min from Tianjin). I was originally planning to study in Beijing, but I have heard a lot about the large ammounts of foreigners there. I really want to be immersed in the language, and almost forced to use it at all times. For those of you who are studying in Tianjin, do you think this would be a good place to live/study? I was in bejing last year, and most of the markets, the chinese people do speak english to the foreigners. I want to be somewhere where im forced to use my chinese throughout the entire day. Would tianjin and the university be a good place?

Thanks for the help

Im plannign to come to China in september 2010 to learn chinese. Im plannign on studying somewhere near the tianjin area because i have family that lives in a city called Teda (about 40 min from Tianjin). I was originally planning to study in Beijing, but I have heard a lot about the large ammounts of foreigners there. I really want to be immersed in the language, and almost forced to use it at all times. For those of you who are studying in Tianjin, do you think this would be a good place to live/study? I was in bejing last year, and most of the markets, the chinese people do speak english to the foreigners. I want to be somewhere where im forced to use my chinese throughout the entire day. Would tianjin and the university be a good place?

English? Wow that's some luxury. That certainly doesn't happen in the Tianjin markets so you'll be forced to use your Chinese. I would certainly recommend Tianjin as a place to study. Its a major city in China and without all the problems of Beijing. Having said that there's nothing worth seeing here like there is in Beijing. If you want to sight see then live in Beijing, if you want to study Chinese then Tianjin is best.

I was in Beijing last year and did do a lot of sight seeing, so im not too worried about that aspect of it. Plus, its only a 30 minute train ride to Beijing (anyone know how far the train station is from the TU)? Also, does anyone know much about Tianjin Universities Chinese language program? I cant seem to find too much information about it online... and their website isn't very helpful either. There is nothing about their registration information, courses, pricing, or housing. I take it you have to just call in?

thanks in advance for the help. If their are any students currently studying their or have studied their in the past a bit of help would be great!