Chinese-Forums

Short Story for January 2010 北京的春节

Meng Lelan

Hi all,

Not sure where to put this. I have been prepping some short stories for my advanced class in the fall by putting the stories into word, and glossing some vocabulary through footnotes and ZDT (so that in the word version, you just need to hover over the glossed item and the definition pops up). I have also highlighted grammar/sentence patterns and glossed them, but haven't made up any exercises for them. I can happily post these stories somewhere (though I don't know where) and make them available. I have also very short intros to the authors (thanks to many Hudong, chinese wiki and other web sources, and Chou Chih-ping's _China's Peril and Promise) these are the stories I have so far (many thanks to this list for some inspiration and ideas):

巴金—— 第二的母親 (one of my favorites)

胡适—— 差不多先生

蕭紅—— 手 (one of my favorites)

老捨—— 毛毛蟲

魯迅 - 呐喊自序

魯迅 - 孔乙己

I am working on 丁玲——夜 and 冰心—— 西風, and plan to do an excerpt of 謝冰瑩—— 女兵自傳。 Roddy, if you can let me know how to make them available and if people are interested I am happy to do so. I threw in a few discussion questions as well. some are mine, most are from China's Peril and Promise.

What authors and stories are in "China's Peril and Promise"? I have most of the titles in the Princeton series except that one. To start a new short story thread, you can go to Book and Story of the Month > start new thread, just title the new thread something like Short Story for whatever month or time period you want.

China's Peril and Promise has a pretty good selection of a variety of materials, not just short stories, and not just from the may 4 era. there are 3 essays under the 杂文 heading, with 2 Lu Xun (立论 and 聪明人和沙子和奴才) and Taiwan author 龙应台(中国人,你为什么不要生气); under 小说 there are 4 stories (鲁迅——风筝; 巴金——第二的母亲and奴隶的心;小红——手), and 传记 section with 3 essays (鲁迅——《呐喊》自序;胡适——九年的家乡教育; 萧三——毛泽东的童年) and a 评论 section with 5 selections (梁实秋——文学与革命;付斯年——自由与平等; 蒋梦麟——中国与日本 and 杭州,南京,上海,北京; 余英时——中国近代思想史上的激进与保守) it comes in 2 volumes, but I only have the 1st volume with the texts and short author intros. the 2nd volume has vocab, sentence structures and examples, and some discussion questions. The first 50 pages or so are available on amazon sneak peak.

付斯年——自由与平等;

I know that's how the book wrote the name, but Fu Sinian (the former Beida and Taida president) is almost always written as 傅斯年 in mainland China. The family name 傅 is not supposed to be simplified to 付.

http://www.guoxue.com/master/fusinian/fusinian.htm

傅斯年(1896.3.26-1950.12.20)

This story is kind of funny:

http://www.eastling.org/discuz/showtopic-1208.aspx

我有发言权

我也不客气了,开门见山:还真是你错了。

亲身经历。

我的祖辈本来姓“傅”,父亲也姓“傅”。

而我弟弟的户口本、身份证都上都是“付”了。(我们都已经结婚成家,户口另立)

你不姓傅,你真的没有体会。

如果没有特别提示,(比如上医院挂号等等),

十个人得有十个人都把“傅”写成“付”,你又和他解释,她会嫌你烦,说,这不都一样

吗?

类似这种事,太多了。

我的领导即使知道我姓“傅”,在让我传阅文件时,也写“付”,因为,他嫌傅麻烦。

姓“傅”,真他妈的“太不方便了”!

有时,我也想改成姓“付”,真的!

China's Peril and Promise has a pretty good selection of a variety of materials

Oh! It's nice. Maybe I should get the set for my own fun time reading. And short stories by Taiwan authors, I have a hard time finding those.