Chinese-Forums

Story of the Month Feb 2010 孔乙己

Meng Lelan

Below I have placed a link on youku for a movie of Kong Yiji. While I would say the movie was probably done on a shoestring budget, and the scenes are not necessarily recreated with the best accuracy, it is still good practice.

Kong Yiji on Film

China today, do you think Lu Xun was successful in creating a new spirit for the Chinese people?

I think he tried to do so through his writings by showing how his society was so 冷漠 in the hopes that the new China would be more humane. How humane today's China remains a question. I'm writing up a blog entry on that question later tonight, you posed a very good question.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm writing up a blog entry on that question later tonight,

Meng Lelan: Can you post a link to your blog when you finish? I would be interested in reading it. I took a look at your blog page but didn't come across the post.

In any case looking forward to next month's short story.

I did write it up but didn't get to edit and post it, plus I wanted a picture to go with the entry...will try to do that in the next 24 hours, it is kind of a short blog entry actually about my thoughts on what you said some posts ago. Thanks for the reminder...

I'm not sure what I'll put up for the story of the month for March. I have to think about it but I've started training for an upcoming 武术比赛 so not much time to think.

Ok, I posted my blog entry about 孔乙己 along with an accompanying sketch that I googled up. Go to my post #24 and click on either blog in the signature (blogger isn't viewable in China it seems).

Maybe next month we can do one more 鲁迅 short story before we move on to something else. I wish I had a list of best short stories of the year for the last several years, would be interesting to find something very modern to read for a while in here.

Thanks for the post. I enjoyed it. I should write more in Chinese myself.

Good luck on your 武术比赛! I did some Wushu back in college and wow it's tough.

I have a 面接 (mensetsu, Japanese for interview) next week so I'm busy as well and a bit nervous! Some modern short stories would be nice so I'll take some time to look for some. If I find any good ones I will let you know.

Glad you liked it. It was a short post because right now I'm working on a trashy love story to post to the blog next month. Not that I'm going to put it up here for short story of the month.

Good luck on your 武术比赛! I did some Wushu back in college and wow it's tough.

Hard work not luck is what I need for the tournament.

I tell everyone wushu is really Chinese for "endless pain and agony". Just as well because I absolutely hate taiji.

I might post some story in March then maybe take off April through June for additional wushu training.

You'll be busy enough preparing for your interview, hopefully you'll get the job you want.

• 2 weeks later...
之乎者也, I found this phrase hilarious.

I did too. I wonder if Lu Xun made up that phrase or that phrase was just around a long time waiting to be used in that story.

My favorite phrase from the story is when Kong Yiji is covering the plate of 茴香豆 and the kids are asking for more. He replies "多乎哉,不多也“。(how many are there, well not many). I have fun using that with my Chinese friends.