Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

The format is very similiar to the CSC. Is this harder to get than the CSC and is it advisable to apply to both? It seems like applicants must send the application material directly to the chinese university which they wish to enroll, and then the university will contact the scholarship committee. Is this correct? Who has had experience with this scholarship ?

Thanks all!

• Like 1

The Scholarship committee only considers applications that have been filtered and forwarded by individual Confucius Institute chapters. You'll need to contact a chapter and see about them looking at your application; they alone have the power to forward your application for consideration. If your institution does not have a Confucius Institute, there's bound to be one nearby.

Be warned that AFAIK, individual chapters have a leeway to give applicants from their own university precedence. If you aren't a student at a university with its own chapter, you may be disadvantaged when it comes to this scholarship.

Does anybody know who are the most eligible for Confucius Institute Scholarship? Who may have the highest chance of getting this scholarship? I want to apply for one year's language programme. Do they give more opportunity to the Chinese Bridge Competitors? Or may I be able to get the scholarship just by showing my transript? ( I have been taking Chinese courses from my university for 3 years, and there is a Confucius Institute in my university).

I would just go to your Confucius institute if you have any questions. They would be the best to ask about how competitive the application process will be, because they will have a lot of power in deciding whether or not to forward your application.

The China Bridge Competition has a different scholarship that they award to winners.

Yes, that's right and I have already asked the institute in my university, but it seems that they don't want to give a clue about it, maybe because it will be unfair to the other students, I don't know.

Another thing is the matter of choosing a university. There is a choice in the application form which goes on like this: "I am ready to accept other universities than in my list.". If I choose that option, it seems to me that they will probably try to place me in a less popular university in a different city other than Shanghai or Beijing. But if I don't choose that, it may be possible that they won't give me any scholarship in the case that I won't be placed in one of my 3 preferences.

What do you suggest? Should I accept that option or not?

I recommend putting three you are good with - they will try to put you in the universities based on your order of choice, though I don't know what your major is, so maybe you want something specific.

Chances are, as a language student though, they won't be afraid to put you in many places, besides probably BeiDa, or universities without said programs.

Quite simply though, if you can't get into universities there as a scholarship student, than probably you can't get a scholarship to begin with. Not to seem rude, but they aren't going to go out of their way to find you a university who will accept you if others decline - they probably will try 3, and then just cut you if none work out.

If they have no openings in your chosen universities, and you do not submit to being recommended elsewhere, you're liable to get your application rejected. I would encourage you to look at universities outside of Beijing and Shanghai. Easy access to English speakers may damage your ability to learn the language via immersion, and it will probably look better on the application if you've had an open mind and have indicated a willingness to go elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies. But I have still more questions. I couldn't decide how to fill in the following section.

6.申请院校及专业/Institutions and Majors of Preference in China: Enter your choices of up to 2 in order of preference. Please state whether you can accept other choices or not:

第一志愿学校

The first preference institution .................

文学类/literature 教育学类/Education 历史学类/History 中医、中药学类/Traditional Chinese medicine and pharmacy

第二志愿学校

The second preference institution .....................

文学类/literature 教育学类/Education 历史学类/History 中医、中药学类/Traditional Chinese medicine and pharmacy

Since I want to apply only for Chinese language programme, I guess I should not fill in this section, because it wants departmental selection. But if I don't fill in this section, how will they know where I want to choose as a language student?

I applied to receive the Confucius Institute scholarship for next fall. In the online form, it only allowed me to apply to receive the scholarship if I attend the school my university for undergrad is affiliated with.

Works for me.

I heard that if there is a Confucius Institute agreement between two universities -one from China and one from another country- the student has more chance to get the scholarship if he will apply to that university in China. Because the university in China gives priority to the students of the university that it has cooperated.

Is that right?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about this scholarship as well! Particularly concerning the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Where exactly do i get this form? Do i simply go to my doctor and get a physical, or is it something that must be done in China? I would really appreciate any clarification on this as my institute officials simply just said go to my doctor. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I also am concerned about the deadline. The official at my cities institute changed the due date like 3 times, from June 3oth to April 15th then to Apr 10th. Any idea on this as well? What's the actual deadline or does it change depending on the institute?

• Like 1