Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

hi,i would like to know of those who received hanban scholarship, have you got the settlement money and monthly allowance from hanban? because me in soochow university hasn't received the money yet, thus it's already the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

@Nanda - my school delayed quite a bit with our one-off settlement + allowance this past September.  We all had to use our own money for quite a while and it was very disorganized of the school because they told us to come by the first week of September but we actually started classes almost 2 weeks later.  So many of us spent a lot of money trying to get settled, when we could have been home saving or earning money in those few weeks that we were here doing nothing.

Nevertheless, things are alright now.  How are things on your side?

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi, since I cannot seem to fínd any info on this on the website of Hanban or the Confucius Institutes I'm turning to you guys. Maybe there's someone who can help me out. I received the CIS for 2 semesters 2013-2014. I would actually like to know wether there are any requirements to maintain the scholarship if you were already awarded with it for the duration of one year. I'm asking because I would very much like to travel and self-study instead of continuing to go to class. I don't need any credits and won't get any for what I'm currently studying in China. I am a Chinese language student, solely taking language classes at my university. We have mid-term exams, as well as final exams, for which class attendance also is a qualifying factor. My question basically is this: In order to remain a scholarship student, receiving the CIS, does one need to pass the exams, or can one actually abandon the university classes altogether and still get the scholarship for the entire duration, meaning for two semsters. I fear it could be cancelled for the second semster...but actually I think it should be safe, if one doesn't intend to extend his stay and face the annual review. Does anyone have any experience with or any info on that?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

I want to apply for a one semester CIS this year. Still considering my options. I'm not in any university at the moment, but my country has two Confucius Institutes, one linked with Communication University of China (CUC) in Beijing, and one linked with Shandong University in Jinan. I'd like to go to a big city, and if possible do an internship (urban planning and/or design) in the afternoon hours. For this reason, a big city would be a plus. Of course Beijing would fit this requirement (and Jinan not so much), but I have also heard lots of good stories about Chongqing.

From what I have read, reviews of CUC are mixed to poor, and of course Beijing pollution is legendary, so I am considering not listing CUC as my first choice. I emailed both Confucius Institutes, and one of them said "X is a good place, but you can also apply to other universities". From reading this forum, I have gotten the the impression that not putting your Confucius Institute's partner university first can really harm your chances of getting the scholarship. Can anybody here elaborate on how damaging this would be exactly? I have good marks for the HSK2, but failed the HSKK elementary (48 may not be a passing grade, but it is enough to be considered for the CIS). I don't have any guanxi anywhere, since I learned everything through self-study so far. 

Finally, is there in general a better change of getting the scholarship in the fall or in the spring semester? 

Best of luck to everybody here with this year's round of  applications!

BertO - I also heard that if your CI has a sister university and it isn't listed as your first choice, it hurts your chances. But if you're not interested in the city because you are worried of pollution, get an authority to include that with your application. Having said that, I am currently on the CI scholarship and I have friends in my university who didn't choose their sister university and they got the scholarship.  Perhaps if you apply for a pre-admissions letter from the university of your choice it might be beneficial?

Both Beijing and Shandong's Jinan are extremely highly polluted. I don't understand why foreign students are being sent to Jinan especially.

• New Members

Thanks for the info shuoshuo. Long story short, I decided to go to Beijing anyway. I also found some good feedback on CUC. And anyway, how bad can it be to be in the capital of China? :)

Next step, apparently, is going for tea with the Confucius Institute director... I hadn't read about that one yet! 

Hi everyone,

I am also applying for the CIS this year, just sent out my application and was recommended by my Confucius Institute. I e-mailed with my first choice host institute, and they replied that they could see my application was approved by the Institute, and that they would be happy to accept me. But I don't see that on the status site yet. There it simply says:

申请进度:“推荐机构择优确认中”- 推荐
(意见:同意)
接收院校:辽宁师范大学

Can the host institute respond on the site directly, or do they have to give their yes/no to Hanban, who then updates the site at some point?

And is anyone else applying for Dalian universities this year?

Grtz, Base

@BertO: I wanted to go to a smaller city than Beijing, and I heard good things about Dalian (mainly on this forum). Considerations were environment (getting worse in Dalian, but by all accounts still pretty ok), lower cost of living and fewer (western) foreigners. Hence the decision to apply for a university there. I've already traveled to China before, so I have seen many of the famous sights. If I get the scholarship, I really want to focus on studying. For someone going to China for the first time, considerations may be different.

Hi guys, I'm applying for the one semester CIS this year, and am currently in the middle of completing my application. I just have a few questions regarding my chances of getting in:

- Firstly, how important is the application essay? Do you think the universities really take this into account? Or is it mainly through university links, HSK/HSKK results?

- I am going to apply for Nanjing Uni as my first preference, as my uni and Nanjing Uni are sister uni's. How likely is it to gain the CIS through putting your sister uni as first preference?

- I currently haven't completed my HSK or HSKK yet, but I got an email from my CI and they are holding a HSK test on a date after the application deadline. They told us to write on our application that our HSK/HSKK results are pending and will be sent through at a later date. However, I don't know where to write this? The page of the application with the HSK results section doesn't leave a space to write any comments, so where should I write this?

Sorry if these questions have already been asked, any answers will be greatly appreciated :) 

Are teacher reccomendations required for the semester or year scholarships?? The director of my local CI keeps mentioning it but I see no place to upload one on the app, and the instructions only mention that a personal reference is needed for the master's programs. Is he wrong or am I missing something??

@obscuritea: I needed a recommendation, too. The last page of the 'Fill in' tab on the site is titled 'Referee'. There, you can select your recommending institute (CI) and upload a recommendation letter. Without uploading something there, I could not save the form. I think this recommendation is different from the '2 recommendation letters' that you need when applying for the MTCSOL scholarship.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

@uniquezia: For the 1 year scholarship you're just a little under on the HSK- a score of at least 180 is needed on the HSK 3. At least 60 is needed on the lowest level of the HSKK so you're good in that regard though! For the semester scholarship, your HSK and HSKK scores are both eligible.