Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

Mari, ShuoShuo, thank you. I finally got a message from the university asking for confirmation of my personal information, so I'm sure they're at least thinking of sending it! The email said that if I didn't give them the info I wouldn't get the scholarship so I sent them an email and a fax in Chinese AND English! I have fax receipt confirmation so there's no way they can say  they didn't get it :) 

My admissions notice last year was sent from the CI department at the university I was in.  As it is two different scholarship types (with different deadline dates) you don't need to worry yet if you haven't received the admissions package.

I applied for a scholarship for two semesters and got an email from the university (Xiamen) in June saying I would receive the admission letter and stuff in early July. Because it didn't happen, I contacted them and was told that in the system I am enrolled for Feb-Jul 2014 (sic!). So they automatically assumed I was just admitted for one semester, the spring 2015. I'm afraid it may be a mistake though because I checked my online application and it shows that I applied for one semester, rather than two, which is not true. I have a pdf with my application and sent it to the uni but they said nothing can be done and it's the holidays. The same goes for the Institute through which I applied. I also heard that if you were awarded the one-year scholarship before, you can only get it for one semester. But I had the governement scholarship, so not sure if that counts?

Do you know whom I could contact now about this that would be able to help me (I emailed scholarship@hanban.com I think, but to no avail)? (I can understand if they just don't want to give me the scholarship for the 2 semesters, but I'm afraid this one is a stupid mistake, after all at first they told me they would send me the papers now, meaning they also thought it was for the whole year...)

ge_yang - As soon as you received the notification that you got the scholarship you should have sorted this out.  Normally, the notification from your university will include "please verify if the information is correct". I'm also curious to know: do you meet the requirement for the one-year course? You should try to sort this out with your local CI or your university's CI. If they accept this change then they can let Hanban know as soon as possible. But at the moment, it is already August and it's just about 2 weeks left for the students to start flying to China. So there is a possibility that they will say it's too late to change anything.

The one-semester students receive their documents at the same time as the one-year students. That's as much as I know. Even if it is the spring semester and not the autumn semester. So them sending you the documents now does not necessarily mean they assumed you were a one-year scholarship student.

Anyway, I think if nothing can be done about it, try to find out if you can move your scholarship from Spring to the Autumn one (starts September). Then you can try to sort out some sort of an extension later.

• New Members

Good evening,

I've been reading some of the posts and I figured I should post here because I'm getting a bit stressed out. I applied for a one academic year hanban scholarship earlier this year with the help of my local Confucius Institute, I applied for the Qingdao University after passing the HSKIII and HSKK. I was told the results should come out in July but its now the 9th of August and I still haven't received any type of response from Hanban/Qingdao University, I've sent emails but they don't reply, I've called but they don't answer and the same thing happens to the people of the Confucius Institute when they try... The only thing I got is the notice from the hanban website saying 申请进度:“推荐机构择优确认中”  :( .

My question is: do you guys think I should have any hope of being accepted? Is this normal or is this wierd? Because the wait is killing me, I wish they would just say yes or no, or just answer any of the contacts.

Thank you in advance  :)

• 2 weeks later...

At my university, LNNU in Dalian, it is as follows: the scholarship pays for one bed in a two-person room in a certain dorm building. Checking the sicas website, this was the cheapest dorm building, i.e. with shared bathroom and toilet. Other dorm buildings had private bathroom and toilet. You have the option of having a room to yourself, but then you have to pay for the second bed yourself. According to the site, a bed is 29 yuan per night, but I have to pay 40 yuan per night to get the room for myself. I don't know whether the prices online are out of date or whether they 骗 me :-)

I don't know what the situation is like at other universities, but it makes sense that for the scholarship, they put you up in cheap and shared accommodations. Still luxury compared to Chinese students; I've heard that they are sometimes four or six to a room!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I have a question about the scholarship. The admission letter says that the deadline for registration is march the 3rd, how many days do you suggest to arrive? Moreover, I didn't receive any information regarding where hanban will transfer the scholarship money (that are 1000 yuan (only the first month) plus 1400 yuan per each month. Do you guys know how this works? Thank you all!!!

Hi Sara,

I started in September. The scholarship money was deposited in an account the university opened for me. The one-off resettlement was deposited along with the first month, so in September I received double money. It took a while before the bank cards were ready and the money was in the account, not until the end of September.

As for arriving, that depends a bit on the situation. Do you stay in a dorm? You can contact the university and ask from which date onwards you can move in. Arriving a few days in advance is convenient, because it gives you time to handle the registration procedures and get settled in your room/house before classes and homework start. Again, check with the university about the procedures.

• Like 1

Thank you Base7 for your helpful answer! I will ask about more details to my university, because I'm staying in the dorm so I'll check when I can move in! so I can book my flight asap!!
Have a nice time in China , thanks again very much :-)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.

good stuff on this website.

figuring out plans for this summer, and would like to get a scholarship to study in china

I got a chinese government scholarship last year (13-14)

I know the government scholarship is not applicable to summer courses, but does anyone know if the confucious institute scholarship is, or if there are any scholarships for short term, summer students? thanks a bunch