Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

If you're from the Philippines, and you're interested in applying for the 2016 Confucius Institute Scholarship, please join our discussion forum here!

I work for the Confucius Institute at the Ateneo de Manila University in the Philippines, and I personally handle scholarship applications. 

Interested applicants from other countries may also ask me and I'll try to answer what I can. Application processes may vary among different CIs.

Good luck to everyone!

01%202016-CI-Scholarship-with-HSK.jpg

Is there anyone who got the one year scholarship and finished its program?  :) I have some questions and I thought it might be best if I asked you directly. Thanks in advance.

Hi IvaJoonie

If you're interested in the past experiences of scholarship awardees, you may  Check out our blog and read all about them.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if anyone can help...I am totally unawares to the process, because my CI only prodded me very recently about applying. Our CI is relatively small. We have a relationship with 上海财经 but they only support a term or one year applications.

I'm hopefully going to get all I need to make an application for the one year scholarship shortly, but I was hoping to do a higher exam or two in the next few months, so here are my questions;

When is the deadline?

Can I submit multiple separate applications? I.e. One now, one for the MTCSOL/BTCSOL later?

Can you upgrade or amend your application later, if you meet the criteria for a more prefeable option?

Whats the prospects of applying for an institution my CI doesn't have a relationship with?

Cheers

@Stephneeli Yes, that is the website. The website is mostly in Chinese, but when you sign-in, the application pages are bi-lingual.

@baihua

When is the deadline?

There is no deadline. This year they are experimenting on an on-going application process. The intakes are Sept 2016 and March 2017 though so you make sure you submit your application way ahead of that. 2 months would be ideal.

Can I submit multiple separate applications? I.e. One now, one for the MTCSOL/BTCSOL later?

I would say yes. I handle the applications for the Confucius Institute at the Ateneo de Manila University, and if ever someone attempts it, l would allow it. But you will only be accepted for one scholarship at a time. I think it should be allowed in your case especially because your CI partner university doesn't offer the degree programs.

Can you upgrade or amend your application later, if you meet the criteria for a more preferable option?

After you submit the application, you can't change it anymore, unless your CI or Hanban asks you to (for example there is a mistake in the application). I suggest creating a separate new applications (with a new username and password) for another scholarship type.

Whats the prospects of applying for an institution my CI doesn't have a relationship with?

I think it's as good as any. If you want to take an MTCSOL/ program, I suggest you apply to our partner university Sun Yat-sen University, which has an excellent program. I think, as long as you qualify for the scholarship, Hanban will find a school for you.

• Like 4

Regarding crisgee's answer about application, do you guys happen to know if the universities have a specific deadline for applying for the one year study scholarship? I want to send in my application in about 3 weeks but I'm scared that the unis may close the deadline :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I was planning to apply for the scholarship since last year, but it seems this years they changed some rules. I wanted to apply for one semester scholarship, but I already studies six months in Shanghai some years ago with an exchange program, so can I now only apply for the whole year scholarship? 

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask some questions:

- am I allowed to ask for both the Chinese Government Scholarship and the Confucius Institute Scholarship at the same time? Obviously receiving only one of them in case I'll get both.

- is it more lilkely to get a one-semester or a one-year CIS scholarship? Does anybody know if universities tend to offer more scholarships for one year or one semester?

Thank you in advance! I hope somebody could help me!

@Ele176

I applied for both scholarships as well, just in case. If I get both then I'll pick one!

Not too sure about the likelihood of getting a scholarship for 1 semester vs 1 year...

@Stephneeli

Thank you for your answer!

And do you know if I am allowed to apply again for the CSC in the future in case i'll refuse it this year? I sent many emails to ask information about it but nobody answered me.

@Ele176 I wouldn't be able to tell you either since it is my first time applying as well ! But I would presume it should be ok given you technically refused it and did not take it?? I think best to just focus on getting one first then worry about extending or applying for a new one later. I know someone who is currently in China on a CSC scholarship, and has applied to 'extend' it for another semester. So it seems that there are no restrictions really.

@houshinomi Send it asap. Please keep in mind that Hanban/CI Headquarters will ultimately decide where you will go even if you choose a university. Universities have set quotas and we don't how these quotas are formulated (by country? continent?). Think less about targeting a university and more about giving complete requirements and getting the recommendation of your CI (or recommending institution).

@Ele176: Yes you can apply to both unless your country's CI or Chinese Embassy has additional rules.We can't say if the likelihood of getting one is better than the other. But from my experience, everyone who provides complete and correct requirements and their recommending institution's recommendation get accepted.

@crisgee

Ok, I will do it as soon as possible in that case! Thanks!

So, even if I choose two universities I may be sent to a different one even in a different city?!! I had no idea of that!

So I'm still pining for the 硕士 but the earliest possible date I can have any/or all the results is June.

Crisgee is right, they do have separate instutional dates, but some of them are fast arising. For example 兰州大学 has a deadline at the end of this month. Of the several institutes I've emailed only one offers a date beyond May.

Would people find it helpful if I dumped the dates I received here?

ETA

University listings*

北京大学 - 25/04 & 10/05

北京师范大学 - 31/05

兰州大学 - 30/04

中央民族大学 - 15/06

北京语言大学 - 20/05

云南师范大学 - Before May

河北大学 - 20/04

南京大学 - 16/05

河南大学 - not clear

中国传媒大学 - Before May

华中科技大学 - 10/05

*I'm not liable for any mistakes, dates - day/month format and as already noted Beijing will ultimately decide your placement.

On a side note, 云南师范大学 sent me a most detailed response to a vague email, a credit to Admissions Offices everywhere!

• Like 1

Hello Everybody!

Has anyone here been awarded the CI Scholarship more than once? If so I have a question for you. I recently completed a one semester CI Scholarship, and I'm considering applying again for the MTCSOL program. However, when I logged into my account on the scholarship website, my old application was still there, and the info couldn't be updated. Does anyone know if I have to make a new account in order to apply a second time?  

Thanks!