Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

My friend has the same status right now. It's about "reconsidering", whatever it means . 

Let us know if he finds out what it means, my friend got that too but she has no clue.

What does 推荐机构择优确认中 exactly mean? The only thing I know is that your CI has to recommend you first in order to get a confirmation from Hanban, but what do they do to recommend you? Do they have to send something to Hanban? Does it have something to do with the recommendation letter you upload online?

Hey guys, nice to join your community!

I decided to apply to Confucius Institute scholarship, but now it seems too late. On websites of different universities I've seen that most of deadlines were at April, but somebody told me that this years there no deadlines. So what you think, do I have some chanses to get scholarship or no? 

Another problem is that my HSK3 and HSKK certificates still haven't arrive, so can I make screenshots of my results and attach to my application form?

And the last one, if I already have my masters degree diploma, should I attach my transcript to application form?
Thanks in advance.

• New Members

Hello, I am applying for Confucius master degree teaching Chinese. My problem is, I will graduate in September, as well in September starts scolarship. Is it okay to start the year little later than others? (I think about 15th of September I would already reach China). Did anyone have same problem? Do you know what exact time September semester starts and what are the deadlines? (If you don't arrive before xxx September they cancel your scolarship?)

Expecting for an answer, please help!

Mathew.

Hi everyone,

I had a problem with my online application for hanban scholarship. My bachelor degree certificate did not correctly upload but I have already submit so now I can't upload it again. My Reccomanding Institute is waiting this document to approve my request. Do you know what I have to do in this case?? suggestion? I've already write an email to hanban support but they aren't replay jet. 

@MathewW.

According to Confucius Institute scholarship website:

3. Scholarship winners who cannot register with the host institutions on time should inform the host institution about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.

So you better contact your host institution and explain them your situation. I think it won't be a problem.

@ illia.kryhin, this was discussed a few pages back. Different institutions have different dates, I posted a partial list - http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/24335-confucius-institute-scholarship/?p=393491

Alot of institutions need them in before the mid-end of this month, although a few deadlines would have already occured.

Re: screenshots, there was conflicting info on this, but if you don't have the certificates what can you do? Talk to your CI and/or your first choice. Other documents will need to be scanned as normal. If I pass my HSK 5 exam this month, I'm going to do the exact same thing.

@MathewW. Beyond what illia.kryhin says, the semester and four week programme start at different times of the year. Anything beyond that you'd obviously have to check with the institution.

@Bea93, I incorrectly loaded something and they weren't happy I'd left something else blank. I was advised to edit/resend my application, but you'd need to check with hanban.

@baihua

Thank you for response, I've seen your post about deadlines. Controversal thing is that my CI said me that this year won't be any deadlines, but on Zhejiang University website I've found deadline at 10th of May. So which Institution should I trust?

About HSK certificates. I wrote to Hanban and they said that I should attach only formal certificates.
This lack of coordination between Hanban and Universities drives me crazy. :evil:

Hi,

I sent my application on Monday. Just to let you know. My CI just informed me that the screenshot of my HSK2 results is not accepted (the diplomas haven't arrived yet as the test took place mid March). Last year it was fine to send screenshot but not this year. The CI has contacted Hanban and is awaiting for a reply. Maybe like Baihua I will need to resend my application. Quite stressful as we are near the deadline now.

@illia.kryhin I totally understand what you are feeling OMG ;0; Today I talked to my CI because my status is still “推荐机构择优确认中” and they didn't know that we could keep track of our application status...They didn't even know that they had to submit the list of candidates to Hanban. I told them to contact Hanban but they don't think it's necessary...I'm actually considering emailing them myself cause I don't know what else to do.

It's true that there's no exact deadline, but unfortunately universities do have their own x.x So I think the more you take to submit your application, the less chances you have to be chosen. That's why I feel so stressed with the whole situation.

@baihua

Thank you for your replay, my CI will not approve my request until I submit correctly all documents.. I've tried to contact hanban but they didn't replay.. :( :( in my opinion if my CI approve my request, than hanban will advise me to resend my application, but if they don't hanban never see my request.

@pho I have received the same from Hanban today... they returned my application and have asked to provide photocopies of the valid certificates... nobody however knows when they'll arrive. Please let know what response will your CI get from them. I will try also to write personally and to inquire through the CI. It is yes, stressful

@王宝贝儿

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I have been busy processing scholarship applications here in our CI as well, and I have been answering questions exactly like what all of you are asking! Anyway, congratulations on getting the scholarship! Basically what will happen now is that university will send the Admission Notice and the JW202 (or JW201) Visa Application Form wither to your mailing address or to your CI. Various universities do it differently from my experience and it's just the way it is. So since I also get notified when our applicants get accepted, I immediately tell them to let me know if they have received these documents. If the university sends them to our CI Office, of course I will notify the applicant. 

Regarding CIs recommending you to their partner universities:

I'm saying right now that much like the CSC Scholarships, only China knows what increases the chances of landing a scholarship. But if there is ONE THING that actually does, it's by applying to your CI's partner university. It is highly encouraged. I have instructions from my director to always encourage applicants to go for Sun Yat-sen University, not only because it's a good school, but also because we can directly inform them about an applicant. The applicant will be given priority over other applicants because we recommended them. I know all of you are gunning for Beida, Tsinghua, BLCU, Fudan, etc and I wish you all the best. But if your CI is not partnered with those you'll have tough competition. They will look at your HSK scores, your degrees, your universities, work experience, etc. It's all worth the shot, but if our first and second choices both reject you, you will be leaving it up Hanban to assign you to a university that you don't know. Some still land in good universities though.

• Like 1

@Bea93, After my application was rejected they unblocked it and I was able to upload again. As a result, I can now upload the original HSK certificates and resubmit the application. Maybe you could do the same? In any case your CI should help you with this and contact Hanban for you to sort this out.

@Dianka- My CI has the same problem with few candidates so it is probably a problem for many CI  this year (Maybe Crisgee can confirm if it is the same in Manilla?). No way around this new rule. My CI suggested to wait till we receive the paper version of the certificates in maybe 2 weeks... It does not matter if the deadline has expired.

Fortunately, I also did the HSK2 in December. In March I just tried to improve my score (I did but by just a few points). Therefore I will upload the certificate from December so I can send the application before the deadline. For those who passed their test just recently for the first time, I don't know what they can do. In any case, I think it is always good to contact your CI and ask for help.

Hi everyone!

@hoshinoumi

I have the status 申请进度:“奖学金资格评审中”- 退回院校 (意见:经研究,为保证录取学生质量,提高录取效率,请各相关院校本着质量优先、国别平衡原则,重新预录取 too!!

Im not sure i understand, i think it was sent back to my university and it just have to be put as urgent... or something like that.

@Crisgee

Do you know anything about it? I looked for this status in previous years status but noone posted about it....

I got tht status last week.

Thx!

• New Members

Hi guys, i'm new here and i'm writing  beacuse i'm really confused about hanban method of selection. I, and a lot of friends of mine from CI in Naples, applied for the 2016 scholarship, but Hanban rejected a lot of us saying that our stuff is not correct or is incomplete. Personally i checked many times hoping to find some error in my application, but nothing. I asked my CI referent to chek better but  she has no idea of what is going on and why hanban is acting like this. I wrote many e-mails at scholarship@hanban.org, but had  no answer. plus, some people who, in theory, have no right to receive the scholarship, got it. I accept that some who did better than me receive that scolarship, but I can't even pass the first step although i had exellent results at the HSK and HSKK and filled the application form correctly. Can some kind soul enlight me about this situation? Thank you.

• Like 1

@sephora Man that really sucks. The way this has happened to you and your friends, would make you think you're on some sort of black list. Were the people who shouldn't've got the scholarships but did applying through the same CI as you?

I can't suggest anything but to try applying again later in the year (September/October) for the March 2017 scholarships.

• Like 1