Chinese-Forums

Tianjin Normal university

XiaoXi

I've just had my tests yesterday and today and will start properly on Monday. I did see which textbooks I'd be using as I was shown the textbooks for my level but I don't recall the name of them. I'll find out on Monday.

The living and rental costs are much cheaper than Beijing too. Also I think you'll prefer it to Beijing anyway. Every time I visit Beijing I seem to have a bad experience. Mainly 'cos the taxi drivers are so rude there. Also there are not so many foreigners here which most people on this forum seem to agree is a good thing. By foreigners I mean non-Chinese like you and me. I've got used to referring to myself as a foreigner! The accent is pretty much standard - especially among the younger generation.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently applied to the TJNU fall semester Chinese language program, which I assume is being held at the old Hexi district campus. It looks like they would prefer to have young people in this intensive course because it includes living in dorms on campus and having lots of after-school cultural activities. I'm an old guy, just retiring and moving to Tianjin with my wife (who is from there). We already have a place near the campus, so I'm hoping we can make arrangements.

I'd be glad to hear about the experience of anyone else on this campus.

Ron

I don't live on the campus myself but admittedly most people seem to. Not everyone is young, that's just the typical student image everywhere I think. You're too late to join this semester though so you'll have to wait until the next one.

Thanks for the info, XiaoXi; I'm hoping to get into the fall semester program (starting Sept. 2010), as we won't be in China until Aug 1st. Are you taking the beginner course, or more advanced?

I'd appreciate anything you can tell me about what the program is like. I gave my father-in-law as a reference, he taught there before he retired and still lives next door to the campus. When they called him, they said I might be too old for the program; that's why I was concerned.

I was also told that they don't have enough students at TJNU and I could probably register in the fall semester as late as August. Do you think that is true?

Thanks for your help.

Ron

• 10 months later...