Chinese-Forums

LTL Mandarin School with Chinese homestays

zhouhaochen

ok, so first full disclosure: I work for LTL.

this thread is for information, courses, discussion about LTL Mandarin School.

the Basics:
LTL stands for the way we believe Chinese is learned best: "Live the Language".
LTL offers small group classes, individual classes, full immersion Chinese programs, and semester programs. Students can choose to live with a Beijing homestay, economy homestay, shared or serviced apartment.
Email: info@livethelanguage.cn
Phone: +86 (0) 10 51001269
Location: Sunshine 100, Bldg. C, Guanghua Lu 2, Central Business District, Da Wang Lu (Exit D, 400m) or Guo Mao Subway Stop
Map: Live the Language on Google Maps
Facebook: http://www.facebook....livethelanguage (if you have VPN)
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/livethelanguage
Teachers: All LTL teachers are graduates of 对外汉语 (translates roughly into BSc Teaching Chinese to Foreigners).

I am probably biased, but I would say its the nicest designed Chinese Language School and best study environment I have seen at any school in China so far. And I have been to quite a few. Its foreign managed and owned (if thats a good or bad thing is up to everyone to decide by themselves).
I am studying there too and can honestly say that at least my teacher is the best one I have ever had in eight years of studying Chinese. I couldnt comment on the service, as it is my job to do that, but I would say we certainly do work pretty hard on giving the best service we can.

I hope it is ok to post this here, I asked in the introduction thread and nobody replied, so I assume it is. I guess we will know pretty soon if its gone, then it probably wasnt wink.gif

post-34293-0-35496100-1445235104_thumb.jpg

post-34293-0-87735600-1445235176_thumb.jpg

post-34293-0-83059800-1445235241_thumb.jpg

post-34293-0-41606600-1445235519_thumb.jpg

post-34293-0-59065200-1445235582_thumb.jpg

post-34293-0-88484200-1445235596_thumb.jpg

Well... I am going to Beijing next summer for 3 months to study (by then i will have had 4 years of Chinese), and based upon what you have posted here and the facebook page (read documents and site), this will defiantly be a "school" that I would consider studying at.

Hey, this looks interesting as hoping to attend some 1-on-1 classes alongside my 2 month university Mandarin course. However, realistically how long does it take on the subway from the Wudaokou district to the business district where this is based? Haven't been able to find this out myself and yet it majorly influences my choice fo school for 1-on-1 classes if it means a long trek across Beijing most evenings after uni classes!

Yezze:

would be great to see you next year summer. I attached the LtL info brochure for students currently not in China and want to come to Beijing to study, with course durations, prices and the service package (airport pickup with a free Chinese SIM card, Subway E-card, free bicycle, organising home stay & Internship etc.)

Allmodcons:

There are two opitons for 1on1 from Haidian:

1) Take the Number 10 Line to Guomao (about 35minutes) from there walk (20min), cycle (5min) or take one more stop on the 1 Line to Da Wang Lu, its 400m North of Exit D.

2) Most of our one on one students from Haidian actually take classes in Haidian (home, coffee shop etc.), the charge for one on one is the same irrespective of location (100RMB/h, no minimum purchase of hours, 3 hours free trial) as we have several teachers who actually live in Haidian and its actually easier for them to come to your place in Haidian than to our school.

For more detailed questions, please pm me or email on andy@livethelanguage.cn

LtL Beijing.pdf

I attached the LtL info brochure for students currently not in China and want to come to Beijing to study

Thanks for that.

I will be sending you an e-mail within a few days (most likely tonight, or tomorrow), instead of just filling up these forums with my questions. Unless, Roddy (or any other person who has at least 1,000+ posts), do you think it would be a good idea to post my non-personal related questions here, so others who maybe wondering the same thing would be able to see them, or do you think that would just be spam.

I am not sure you convey much concrete and detailed information about the school in your thread and the attached doc (for example teachers' experience and specifics about the learning methodology). It wouldnt be enough to convince me this is one of the best schools in China:

but I would say its the nicest designed Chinese Language School and best study environment I have seen at any school in China so far.

I have come into contact with a few schools too and find most of them have colourful brochures like yours with a similar offering. What is so different about your school?

do you think it would be a good idea to post my non-personal related questions here

Up to you where you put the questions, but as far as the forums is concerned, the more content we have the better. Even if they're not directly relevant to any other student they still allow them to see how responsive the school is, etc. If you get to the point of asking what colour the carpets are in the classrooms I may reconsider.

Yezze:

sounds like you are free to ask wherever. Email or here both is fine for me ;)

Scoobyqueen:

Techer Qualification: All LtL teachers hold a degree in 对外汉语 (Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language).

Teacher Experience: All our teachers have gained significant teaching experience before joining us, usually both at univeristy and at private language schools. We do not hire teachers who have not taught before.

Learning Methodology: LtL does not have a one and only teaching method which might make it harder to "market" the school, however I personally very much agree with that strategy. From my personal experience choosing one singular "learning methodology" for a school (speak how many % during class, special books, no books, talking only, no characters etc.) is rather unlikely to be the best way to teach all your students. Every student is different. Everyone has different problems. Everyone has different aims he/she wants to achieve. And the beauty with small classes (and certainly all one on one programs) is that you can adjust your courses to suit your students, not make your students suit your course.

I dont think it is really possible to "label" teaching methods in general, however "individualised for each student" would be a way of saying it.

In the end teaching quality is not as easy to measure as the beer quality at a Wudaokou bar (how big, how cold, how much alcohol). There is no school or teacher that fits everybody. Best thing is to try it out, which is why we give 3 hours of free trial classes.

Nice Design: thats my personal opinion (as stated below) and referred to the design (as in interior design) of the school. How it is furnished, the classroom study environment etc. not regarding how colourful the brochures are. If you would prefer a brochure in black and white however, I can probably do one for you in photoshop ;)

Roddy: I checked, the carpets are brown/white, according to our Interior Architect/Feng Shui Advisor, the aim was to have an as light and bright colour as possible for the classroom, while not having to clean it every time someone with dirty shoes walks over it. I agree its probably not that relevant to the teaching quality of our school though B)

Well, here are a few questions, if you wouldn't mind.

For the extracurricular classes, such as the Chinese cuisine and calligraphy classes, how do those work. As in, what are the times for those (ex- like a set 1hour block X days a week), and do those follow the max of 6 people rule. For the cuisine, do we just study the different cuisines, and/or do we also do some cooking, with guidance. For the calligraphy, what level of Chinese writing are we required to have/should have, to take this class, and how is it taught. Also, what are the prices for these.

Thanks.

Well, here are a few questions, if you wouldn't mind.

For the extracurricular classes, such as the Chinese cuisine and calligraphy classes, how do those work. As in, what are the times for those (ex- like a set 1hour block X days a week), and do those follow the max of 6 people rule. For the cuisine, do we just study the different cuisines, and/or do we also do some cooking, with guidance. For the calligraphy, what level of Chinese writing are we required to have/should have, to take this class, and how is it taught. Also, what are the prices for these.

Thanks.

Extracurricular Classes:

- how many people maximum for each class depends on the activity, however it certainly wont be more than 6 per activity.

- for our summer courses for example we frequently arrange one on one activities (for example two hours one on one study in the morning and 1.5 hours kong fu one on one class in the afternoon). This is arranged and tailor made to each students needs and time schedule. The prices for one on one Chinese classes and extracurricula activities is the same (100RMB/h).

- we also have group extra curricula activities, these are organised based on demand (Tai Qi and Caligraphy being the most popular ones usually).

- for Caligraphy, there is no minimum requirement for your Chinese level. All extra curricula activities are taught in Chinese, though the teachers usually speak English if you get really stuck. However the aim of all this is to get you to practice your Chinese outside of the class room, so we try to keep English to a minimum.

- for Cooking, of courese you get to cook ;) cooking without food is no fun. My personal favourite is Noodle Making.

- Prices vary depending on course duration and activity, but the cost is generally similar to what a Chinese class costs.

to finally clarify the carpet question, I went upstairs and took pictures of some class rooms and the balcony (when its nice weather, we quite often do class outside - no carpet on there though).

I am not really much of a photographer, so the colours are not that fantastic. It looks a bit brighter and nicer in real life.

post-34293-092354700 1278050403_thumb.jpg

post-34293-064084000 1278050734_thumb.jpg

post-34293-042740100 1278050902_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm confused. Is that an article, or an ad? It reads like an article, but the bottom does clearly say ad, as Skylee said.

I realize this thread is about LtL, but there is a big difference between an ad and an article, none-the-less.

BTW, which Agenda magazine?

uh, a lot of critical voices here, but thats why I like this Forum

However I think I can answer the questions raised:

Skylee & jbradfor

1) its not an advertisement (广告), but an article ("Spotlight" its called, appears in every issue) that was initiated and written by the magazine. We did not see the final version before it was published.

Besides a cup of coffee when the reporter came to the school, we also certainly did not pay for it. Why Agenda writes DM广告 at the bottom of all its pages, I dont really know either, its probably some kind of brand name, but it is not used to mark advertisements (of which there are quite a few too). For verification, I attached a scan of the Table of Content Page (including the article), it says DM广告 there at the bottom there as well, just as it does on all other pages of the magazine.

2) I didnt know there were several Agenda Magazines in Beijing. I just know this one and I think it belongs to the Beijinger, but I am not sure. Its the one they have at the Tree. I attached a scan of the cover page of that issue for clarification.

3) I created the thread for Information about the school, not promotion. Anyone can write whatever criticism they want - as you obviously chose to ;) - and it will stay there. I do work for the school and therefore I guess I am biased. Which is why I stated that fact right at the top of the thread:

"ok, so first full disclosure: I work for Live the Language"

However, thats not why I am using this forum. I studied Chinese for 8 years at BLCU, SOAS, a million different language schools, with tutors, internet, taxi drivers and which ever other way I could possibly come up with, it is my passion, hobby and through a lucky twist of fate now my job as well.

However all criticism is fair game, thats what makes a good forum and the only way for us to prove that we truly have a passion for teaching Chinese and are providing a good service - because if someone thinks otherwise, I am sure they will post it here :P

post-34293-033645200 1285986871_thumb.jpeg

post-34293-081634700 1285987352_thumb.jpg

That's a part of the Chinese name of the magazine, I suspect it's on every page. Agenda is part of the True Run Media stable - they also do thebeijinger(.com), the Immersion Guides and Beijing Kids.

Product and service providers are welcome to post new information here, as long as it's of value to users - we have plenty of people interested in Chinese schools, after all. We do ask they get in touch first, if only because we're actually able to offer some rather good advice on how to go about it. Stuff like, eg, using your status messages to try and get your url seen, or responding to only marginally relevant topics, is not particularly appreciated ;)

OK, thanks for the additional information. IMHO, I don't see a problem with having this thread, and you've been very open with your affiliation. It's just these "ads that are designed to look like articles" that I see often that drive me totally bonkers....