Chinese-Forums

Living in Chongqing

Guo Jia

Hi everyone, First post here. ;)

A few months ago I applied for a one-year scholarship in China, giving as my preferred destination Beijing and Kunming. I won the scholarship, and I'm going to leave Italy for China in about fifteen days. Unluckily for me, the CSC enrolled me at Chongqing University... and, for what I know about the city (never been there, so it's mostly comments, Google Earth and such internet info), Chongqing doesn't seem to be a Laowai heaven, nor a terribly beautiful city. Not too much international students either, I guess. Damn, Kunming was so near...

Well, cannot help with that. Going to cope with what they assigned me - after all, I don't have to pay. But i'd want to ask if anyone of you studies or lives there, or knows the city enough to give me some tips about how's living in the world's biggest and most polluted urban conglomerate.

Another problem is the language: how's the local dialect? Is it understable, will it affect my chinese studies in a noticeable way? Cannot be much worse than Zhejiang, but i would like to avoid losing half a year to begin understanding the local talk.

Last but not least, what about the local university, dormitory and such accomodations? Anybody had any experience with Chongqing University and its student life?

Thanks in advance, any help or info would be much appreciated.

I've only been to Chongqing for a couple of days, and it is a huge, crowded and, in places, dirty city. But then most cities in China fit this description, and really, out of all the cities I've been to in China, I'd say Chongqing is actually one of the more interesting. It may not be Beijing or Shanghai, but I doubt you'll have problems finding foreigners there. And regarding the local language, many people seem to think everyone in Beijing speaks pure standard Mandarin, but the local accent takes time to get used to there, just as it would in Kunming or Chongqing. I know it must be disappointing to not be given the places that you specifically applied for, but I think you could have also done a lot worse than Chongqing.

Hi Guo Jia...I suggest you watch the 4-part Ted Koppel documentary called "The People's Republic of Capitalism", which was made around two years ago. Essentially, Koppel wanted to visit one of the most important cities "you've never heard of". Chongqing is urbanizing quickly, has fast GDP growth, new industries, and Bo Xilai is its controversial Party Secretary. There's a lot going on.

So, at least from my point of view, from the "experiencing China and and interesting Chinese city" at a crucial turning point in history, I think Chongqing may not be a bad choice. Also, the food is good, assuming you like spicy food.

Yes, they speak with an accent, but in just about every Chinese city you'll find a range of accents (going from young people and the educated speaking in a more standard fashion to more local). You can always do a lot of CD/podcast/tape audio practice with 100% standard stuff (which I highly recommend). So, being in a place with a slightly "off" accent could be seen as an advantage, if you're a glass-is-half-full kind of person. What's probably more important is your willingness to get out there and speak with people and not be afraid to look like a fool. From that point of view, tier 2 or tier 3 cities can be better than Beijing/Shanghai.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the informations and suggestions, they're all very useful to me. ;)

Anyway, all those info will be useful only if I actually survive the trip to Chongqing, since I'm going to do a 40+ hour train tour de force from Shanghai to the city. On hard seat, and lots of chinese brats spying on me, preventing me from every possible attempts to sleep. XD

I agree with everyone who has said that Chongqing is a great place to be.

and Bo Xilai is its controversial Party Secretary.

Don't know if you have come across it on the internet, but the China correspondent of my local city paper has written a great opinion piece in English on the controversy. The views he expressed are pretty similar to the views of a guy from Chongqing I met on holiday last year:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/children-of-the-revolution-20100212-nxjh.html

Chongqing is urbanizing quickly, has fast GDP growth, new industries,

China's rise in the last few years has been driven by the rich cities along the east coast led by Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin, whereas the west of China has been left behind a bit. You've probably read that in 1997 the Chinese government decided to take Chongqing out of Sichuan province and make it a direct controlled municipality (the only other cities in China with this status are Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin). The reason the government did this is that Chongqing is supposed to be the city leading the charge in the West; in some ways it is the capital of Western China. It is probably the world's most important inland port city, in any event the volume of goods moved along the Yangzi through Chongqing is mindboggling. I seem to remember reading somewhere that when the Chinese government "promoted" Chongqing they wanted it to play a role a bit like Chicago in the US if that provides a point of reference.

If Chongqing succeeds in leading Western China to growth rates similar to that of the east coast, the impact will be enormous. If you wanted to pick one spot on earth that is really going to fundamentally change the whole world, Chongqing could well be the best pick.

@wushijiao

I agree that this is quite an interesting article full of "local color". From a visit there in 2006, a decade after it was designated a "direct-city", I remember the impressive vistas from the top of a hill-top pagoda, the General Stilwell Museum and the history of the Flying Tigers, the steep ups and downs and, of course the food. I also vividly remember, as I was taking a picture in a public square, some very young child clinging to my leg as his grandfather watched amusingly nearby. As for Bo Xilai, our schedules conflicted so I was not able to get a photo with him.

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

Hi Guo Jia,

Did you end up going to Chongqing? How was it? A good place to learn Mandarin?

I have just received an offer for presumably the same Chinese govt scholarship to study at Chongqing University next year. I'm really excited for the opportunity, but I also feel a bit unsure as to whether it is a good place to study - mainly because I don't know anyone who has studied there..

Any info/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Owen

• 2 years later...

hi  Gua Jia .. 

It's great pleasure to see you on this forum. i am from maldives . same problem here , i have applied for Beijin normal university. They offered me to South west university which is in Chongqing ,Beibei, district. i have to be there in Chongqing before september. i have no much idea about chongqing. 

can anyone please give me some idea how to get accommodation, and a good school for a 3 year old kid ( near southwest university) Beibei, district.

it will be great pleasure if you assist me finding a good one room apartment near university and also please suggest approximate budjet to get  one room apartment.   

Hi Wahunei,

I'm also going to Southwest University - are you doing the MTCSOL? If so looks like we'll be classmates.

I've also lived in Chongqing for 3 years, including a 7 month hiatus. The apartment I live in is a fairly large 2 bedroom apartment in a fairly up market area in central Chongqing, which costs 2900RMB a month divided between two people. In Beibei I guess you could find a reasonable single bedroom place for less than 1500RMB a month - but you can look on www.ganji.com to find some listings which will give you a more accurate idea of your options. I'm not sure about schools for a 3 year old, but I know there are two international middle schools just across the road from Xinan Daxue because my partner will be going to work for one of them. So there's a good chance there will be some kindergartens that are accommodating towards international kids, but I don't know of any. I'll look into it and see if I can find out anything - there is an international kindergarten in Yubei, maybe about 40minutes on a bus away, but I guess you'd prefer somewhere closer.

Anyway, Beibei is a nice place, and having lived in Beijing for one year and Chongqing for 3 years I think Chongqing is a better place to live. No sandstorms, less polluted, greener. 

Here is a links to an online discussions about good kindergartens in Beibei. A good place to start. I've bolded the ones you might be interested in, one is on campus and one is on the same road.

http://zhidao.baidu.com/link?url=hJpDoWWkRp2E6Bf3qLlO4nOAd7PZuqGa3tzWCRdmUQfEukyfUHufTmGVI-ZA_KcQaxmQTRpJzinf7T-6Er3r5NhU9YEWVNQNIABIpONw6eO

重庆市北碚区朝阳幼儿园
位于重庆市北碚区中山路9号.

重庆市北碚区商业职工幼儿园
位于重庆市北碚区天生新村133号

重庆市北碚区人民路幼儿园
位于重庆市北碚区渔塘湾44号.

重庆市北碚区幼儿园 (北碚实验幼儿园)
位于重庆市北碚区渔塘湾6号.

重庆市北碚区双凤幼儿园
位于重庆市北碚区双凤桥1号.

西南师大付属幼儿园
位于重庆市北碚区天生路2号,也就是西南大学里面.

相比一下上面的幼儿园相对要好一点.

北碚小小幼儿园
位于重庆市北碚区中山路120号.

小星星幼儿园
北碚区光荣村31号1-3室.

Unfortunately I'm struggling to find contact details of the kindergarten located on campus, aside from the address. Perhaps you can ask someone from the admissions office to point you in the right direction? It appears that the kindergarten is affiliated with the university so they should be able to help.

Hi Mathewell 

Thank you so much for your information, i will be going through the links that you have provided , between i am going to study Law of education . Once again thank you so much for your information . 

i will contact university for further information about kindergarten school . Could you please give me your e-mail. 

Hi,

Unfortunately, websites with English language listings for what you're looking for simply don't exist.... I recommend you download a plug in for your browser that will automatically translate everything into English, it won't be perfect but you should be able to figure it out. If you're using google chrome you can download it here - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-translate/aapbdbdomjkkjkaonfhkkikfgjllcleb?hl=en

My e-mail is matthewkell88@gmail.com. If you need any help or advice feel free to contact me and I'll do what I can.

Hi, 

Thank you for your continues help , for a person like me  it's million worth , ( totally going to a new environment without a guide its very difficult )  still i am in process and waiting for college reply . Any way i will contact you through mail when ever i need your help ,