Chinese-Forums

Has anyone used remembr.it to study Chinese?

David W Jackson

Just stumbled on this site: www.easychinesecharacters.com. It's also listed as a "Site Sponsor" whatever that really means. A search didn't turn anything up. The blurb sounds good; does anyone have any experience with it?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • New Members

I'm in the second week of the trial. I have to say, the way the cards are organized just does it for me. I don't like the application per se, and if I had a proper list of cards I would gladly use another program. however, I haven't been able to find something that has the cards grouped so nicely. Anybody know any sources?

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

I've found remembr.it motivational. That is, the ease of use and the constant counter of characters I've memorized makes me want to keep up with the program. The 2000+ characters are arranged not by frequency of use, but rather in groups of similar characters where usually only a radical differs. It feels like you're learning characters in handfuls.

The negative part is that it's mastery-oriented. The program expects you to learn every character in sequence and they keep popping up even if you don't really care about them. I wish the program had a discard pile. I think I can probably live a happy life without ever learning the character for "mugwort", for instance, which I always confuse with another more useful character. If there were a discard pile, I could come back to these stinkers at the end of the program after I've mastered the other 2K that I find more useful.

I'm ok with the program, although I'd suggest making yourself spend more time with sentence mining for reading.

• 11 months later...

Question 1 - Has as anyone used remembr.it and actually finished?

I do like the way that the characters are gathered in what appears to be radicals, or similar looking characters. Seems to make sense to me.

Question 2 - Has anyone seen character lists that groups the characters the way that they group the characters? Or grouped the characters in other "useful" ways?

Seems to me that grouping by pinyin sound would also be useful. Anything that creates a relationship probably is useful on some level.

Comments appreciated.