Chinese-Forums

Newspaper Article of the Day

renzhe

1)

He showed that his car was at the top of the mountain at the time the cop was supposed to have caught him, and that the cop couldn't see him with his radar gun and he actually got someone else coming down the mountain.

2)

Iraq

He didn't have them in Iraq, and now that he does have them he'd like to use them to their full extent

• Like 1

The saga of the "Tiger Mother" continues...

虎媽:教養子女 中美平衡

以「虎媽的戰歌」(Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother)引發中美教育理念之爭的蔡美兒(Amy Chua)13日接受本報專訪時表示,由於華爾街日報標題驚人,近日來收到成千上萬封威脅信件,許多人指責她「虐待兒童」和「醜化亞裔」,「他們沒有閱讀全書造成誤解,這令我痛苦和難過,而貫串全書的是我如何改變教養方式。」她說,而且許多指責仍出於不理解華裔家庭的文化背景。

蔡美兒說,丈夫魯賓福(Jed Rubenfeld,音譯)對她的嚴苛式教養作風比較支持,他是美國猶太裔,從小成長環境比較寬鬆,「他倒希望父母對他嚴厲一些,逼他學習外語和樂器。」蔡美兒認為自己的成功歸功於父母嚴加教管,「我父母非常嚴厲,相比之下,我管孩子已經很寬鬆了。」

蔡美兒強調,她在書中傳達兩個重要的教育理念,一是父母應讓孩子感受到無私的愛,二是尋求中美媽媽教養方式的平衡,「不要學西方媽媽輕易讓孩子放棄,鼓勵孩子盡量做到最優秀。」

蔡美兒表示,「虎媽的戰歌」出發點並不是指導父母們養兒育女之道,而是在她的二女兒蔡思珊(LuLu)出現嚴重叛逆情緒、導致家庭危機時回顧18年為人母的經驗,用兩個月的時間揮筆寫就的回憶錄。蔡美兒說,書一開始就給出「中國媽咪」的定義,並不單純指華裔,而且也強調許多華裔父母與她教養子女方式不同。

蔡美兒說,她對女兒嚴格規定的「不許」是有些誇張(exaggerate),但女兒們並不覺得恐怖,反而認為好笑。在被問到為何「不許玩鋼琴和小提琴外的任何樂器」,蔡美兒表示,確實後悔當年沒有給女兒們更多選擇,譬如大提琴和口琴,但認為鋼琴和小提琴比較有挑戰性,但她也不斷調整自己,坦然接受女兒放棄拉小提琴。

蔡美兒說,兩個女兒非常有人緣,朋友很多,與老師和同學關係甚密,「她們自信堅強,非常有個性。」18歲的大女兒蔡思慧(Sophia)今年在申請大學,已經接到大學提前錄取的通知,但為保護孩子隱私,她拒絕透露是哪所大學。

本周末她要給二女兒蔡思珊舉辦15歲生日派對,已經邀請七位好友過夜。蔡美兒說,如果在朋友家過夜只是看電視、玩臉書,她當然不允許。「許多美國媽媽讓假期讓孩子去歐洲旅遊三個月,我規定女兒們滿18歲後,對事物有更好的判斷再獨自闖世界。」

她說,「玩伴日」(playdates)有助孩子結交朋友,培養社交技巧,但西方母親注入太多浪漫色彩,過於重視孩子自尊心和受歡迎的程度。

針對有些美國母親對她的一些作法感到「殘忍」,蔡美兒說,因為她們缺少對華裔家庭文化背景的理解,她說,華裔父母稱孩子「小胖子」、「懶蟲」、「無能」,前提是孩子明白父母的愛心和調侃,懂得父母是敦促他們努力做到更優秀。她書中講到曾威脅女兒會「燒掉動物玩具」,但孩子們知道母親不會真的下手,她們一次野外郊遊時女兒丟失一個動物玩具,蔡美兒曾開車200哩去幫孩子找回來。

Questions:

1) What are the two educational concepts that 蔡美兒 is trying to get across in her book? (according to her)

2) What ethnicity is the Tiger Mother's husband?

3) Although 蔡美兒 merely only threatened to「燒掉動物玩具」, what did she actually do for her daughter with regard to a particular 動物玩具?

What are the two educational concepts that 蔡美兒 is trying to get across in her book? (according to her)

1. Parents need to let children experience unselfish love. 2. Explore Chinese and Western parenting styles and seek a balance.

What ethnicity is the Tiger Mother's husband?

Jewish-American.

Although 蔡美兒 merely only threatened to「燒掉動物玩具」, what did she actually do for her daughter with regard to a particular 動物玩具?

The girl knew Mom would not really do that. Actually the toy was lost on an out of town excursion and the Mom drove her all the way back to find it.

• Like 1

If you like seeing perverts get what they deserve, you'll like this story:

警官偷看人洗澡 佯裝路過被識破

日本千葉縣船橋市一名男子經過一戶人家,隱約看到有女子在洗澡,竟然起了色心。當他透過玻璃窗「觀賞」得津津有味時,隔壁鄰居發現了,不僅大聲呼喝,還將他壓倒在地。經調查,男子竟是一名高級警官。

今日新聞網引述日本新聞網報導,千葉縣警方表示,一位名叫加藤正博的47歲警官,在船橋市一戶人家的浴室外,透過玻璃窗偷看女子洗澡。被鄰居發現後,一度逃走,後來他像沒事一樣回到現場,問聚集在一起的鄰居「遇到什麼事」。

加藤以為自己假裝是路人經過,不會被懷疑是偷窺者。然而,他沒想到是,鄰居竟然認出他,好幾個人將他壓倒在地。據報導,警方接著獲報趕來,以「非法入侵住宅罪」逮捕加藤。

報導指出,家住千葉縣習志野市的加藤,向來負責各國領導人到訪日本時的警衛工作。當天,他路過這戶人家,隱約看到有女子洗澡而起了色心。

Questions:

1) In what county of Japan did this story occur?

a)萬瓣

b)千針

c)兆瓦

d)千葉

d. it's a pretty name, don't you think?

2) What classic mistake did the suspect make?

3) 加藤 typically has what primary job responsibilities?

Why would a woman take a shower/bath in a room with an unshaded window facing the street? Or perhaps 隱約 implies that the window was opaque and the man was only watching shadows on the glass? And what evidence was there apart from the neighbour's allegation?

1)

千葉

Incidentally, that's the only one that's actually a Japanese province.

2)

He went back to the scene of the crime and acted as if he knew nothing, asking "what happened?"

3)

He's a bodyguard for foreign leaders when they come to Japan.

Incidentally, despite skylee's reservations about the veracity of this story, this sort of thing happens way too often in Japan (leading to things like 女性専用車輌).

• Like 1

This one is from the Hong Kong Economic Times -> 大學生也要補習 每小時400元

補習成風,已不再局限於中、小學生,而是蔓延到文憑、副學士以及大學生。在分類廣告網頁不難見到「大學生補習」的廣告,收費高達每小時400元。

廣告中有導師標榜自己從事教育工作,亦有表示自己是「同路中人」能夠明白學生「須克服很多問題」。

不過,有大學教授表示,每年課程重點不同,即使補習亦不能奏效。

大學教育講求自學自主,要吸收不少課外知識,完成專題研習報告、小組討論等,不過,近來竟出現一股大學生補習風,有網頁廣告表示專為文憑、高級文憑、毅進、副學士甚至大學生補習,目標學生甚至是向來有一定入學要求的BBA(工商管理)學生。

Q1. What is 補習? What does it have to do with 風?

Q2. What usual methods of learning are expected to be used by undergrads?

Q3. What types of HK qualifications are mentioned?

@Glenn, Good answers! Actually, I'm embarrassed to say this but I didn't know the names of any other Japanese provinces... :unsure:

@skylee, I was also a little confused about the usage of 隱約, seems like they meant 隱蔽, what do you think?

It's cool. I doubt you have much reason to know any. But just offhand, here are a few for you: 茨城県, 青森県, 新潟県, 奈良県, 愛知県, 愛媛県, 徳島県, 山形県, 山梨県, 沖縄県. They're kind of all over the place, but anyway... You may Never need to know that, but if you're ever cornered and asked to name a few off the top of your head, there you go (like that'll ever happen...)! By the way (you may already know this), 県 = 縣.

@skylee, I was also a little confused about the usage of 隱約, seems like they meant 隱蔽, what do you think?

I think it means 隱約, which is used twice in the report. I wonder how 隱約 it was. If there were just shadows, would that be a crime looking at shadows? Or there were curtains at the window and he peeked through them? I find the case unclear and a bit dubious, as I said in my #49.

Q1. What is 補習? What does it have to do with 風?

補習 is like 補習班 (the infamous "cram schools" that Taiwan is famous for), and 成風 means 形成時尚風氣, so 「補習成風」means that cramming or supplemental study is becoming fashionable

Q2. What usual methods of learning are expected to be used by undergrads?

Let's see we've got 『自學自主,要吸收不少課外知識,完成專題研習報告、小組討論等』so that means roughly "self-study self-management, absorb extracurricular knowledge, complete research and study reports on special topics, have group discussions, etc..."

Q3. What types of HK qualifications are mentioned?

Hmm... I didn't see anything that I thought was HK specific... any room for clarification here? (Maybe I'm just a dummy :cry: )

Anyway, here's a new article, hope you like rags-to-riches stories:

头奖彩券放口袋 4天不敢脱裤

中乐透除了会让人欣喜若狂,更会令人过度焦躁!英国51岁水管工人保罗中了350万英镑(约540万美元)头彩后,成天心神不宁,深怕中奖彩券遗失。最后在找不到暂放彩券的好地方后,他决定继续收在牛仔裤口袋,且长达四天都不敢换裤子。

今日新闻网引述英国太阳报报导,在得知中奖之后,保罗开始寝食难安,总担心这笔横财会不翼而飞 。他表示,「在起初四天里,每天必须从口袋中拿出彩券20到30次,无时无刻确定它的存在」,且为了万无一失,他更是连续穿同一条牛仔裤长达四天,绝不让彩券有离开身体半步的机会。

曾经失业一年的保罗说,「因为没钱,所以已有很多年没有上馆子,更别说出游了」,且开了16年的旧车还因为没保险,而鲜少上路,「现在终于能一口气订两辆新车」,更预计要搭游轮去旅行,也决定换新家了。据报导,面对这笔意外之财,保罗的太太已决定辞去养护中心的工作,好好享受人生,但保罗却不打算退休,因为他担心若太过悠闲,会让生活变得颓废。

問題:

1)「寝食难安」是甚麼意思?

2)「不翼而飞」是甚麼意思?

3)What was in the man's pocket? How many times a day did he feel the need to touch it? And, why was it so important to touch it?

4)On a more personal note, do you envy this man or are you happy for him?

(Don't go thinking dirty thoughts about Q3 before your read the article ;) )

上次的答案:

1)「寝食难安」是甚麼意思?

睡覺和吃飯都不安心。形容憂慮煩亂的樣子。寝 = to lie down (and sleep), 食 = food (to eat), so it's "hard to eat and difficult to sleep", i.e. anxious and uncomfortable

2)「不翼而飞」是甚麼意思?

比喻物品無故遺失。不翼 = without wings, so "to fly away without wings", i.e. to disappear without a trace

3)What was in the man's pocket? How many times a day did he feel the need to touch it? And, why was it so important to touch it?

彩券 (a lotto ticket), get your mind out of the gutter! :P He felt the need to touch it 20 to 30 times a day because it was the winning ticket (for $5.4 million!)

4)On a more personal note, do you envy this man or are you happy for him?

Personally, I'm happy for the guy, he was out of job barely scraping by and then he won the lotto, a bit heart-warming if you ask me ^_^

Here's an uplifting story for those in a downtrodden mood (including myself):

寶寶在肚裡比YA 逗樂媽咪

英國一名33歲女子患有不孕症,在歷經三次流產後,才再度懷孕,但這卻讓她成天擔心又將失去孩子。沒想到在進行超音波檢查時,胎兒竟比出勝利手勢「V」,似乎在安慰媽媽說「我很好!」此舉讓產婦頓時釋放壓力,最後順利產下這個「貼心的孩子」。

今日新聞網引述英國每日郵報報導,露易絲2007年生了第一個孩子,之後連續流產三次,經醫師檢查後才知道她患有「囊性卵巢症候群」,容易導致流產。

在接受藥物治療後,露易絲終於在去年3月再度懷孕,但她卻憂心忡忡。據報導,直到去年8月、懷孕第21周,她接受例行超音波產檢時,發現肚子裡的寶寶竟然比出勝利手勢「V」,讓露易絲一家人與醫護人員都感到驚訝。

露 易絲表示,當看到孩子活潑的動作時,「我們就會笑個不停,因為他似乎在告訴我『別擔心,他很好』」。報導指出,自此露易絲也豁然開朗,以愉快的心情面對懷 孕,並順利產下男嬰。露易絲說,孩子長大後,一定會給他看這張特別的超音波圖,並告訴他「他是如何在肚子裡向我們報平安的」。

倫敦胎兒醫學中心主任尼古拉德斯表示,胎兒會對周遭環境進行探索,並不時運動身體器官,這孩子的伸展動作意外做出了勝利手勢,的確大大振奮了父母與醫護人員。

Questions:

1)What is the meaning of 『比』in the title?

2)What is the English term for 『囊性卵巢症候群』?

3)「憂心忡忡」是甚麼意思?

4)「豁然開朗」has a similar meaning to what other 成語 that contains 『然』?