Chinese-Forums

Dalian Ruiwen Chinese School

philblue3

Hello! I am moving to Dalian in August and am looking for an intensive and private language program. I like what I see with Dalian Ruiwen University but am unable to find information on the web--does it still exist?

Also, if you have any other suggestions regarding smaller private language programs, I would be interested. I am a beginner and am looking to have as little temptation as possible regarding speaking English, so I figured with as much one-on-one instruction and with foreign students from Korea/Russia would be best! Let me know what you think!

Thank you,

Phil

These guys are legit, and they fit what you want. Even if you don't go with their services (do a search on this forum for info on them), they have a lot of info on the website and might be able to help you out (like if the uni you want to go to has a program to meet your needs).

http://www.hyccchina.com/Univercity.aspx?cityid=5

Thank you for that. I think I will probably stick with a smaller, private language program, seeing as I am looking more for one-on-one tutoring and smaller class sizes. If anyone has any suggestions regarding Ruiwen or any others, I am in need of help in contacting them (their website appears to be down).

xiexie

• Like 1

I like what I see with Dalian Ruiwen University but am unable to find information on the web--does it still exist?

I don't think it's a University. Looks more like a private language school or what used to be a private language school. The links I found on the internet are now dead. These small schools come and go. You might try contacting them directly, though it may not bear fruit.

Contact Information: Zhang Xiao Hua

Tel: (0086) (411) 83773196

Email: ruiwenschool@yahoo.com.cn

Skype Account: ruiwen-english

Address: Xigang District. 49 Minyun Jie, 5th Floor. Dalian, Liaoning Province, China

• Like 1

They are a private school, not a university.

There's another school private school in the area, called SJ School, which you may want to check out as well. I checked out their school and sat through some of their classes, finding them highly positive. However, the English support is very minimal; the school caters to Korean students mostly and then some Japanese students. I've been meaning to do a post-up on SJ School, but haven't had the time.

If you are interested in a private school, send me a PM and I'll try to get a posting up asap.

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hey Phil,

I've been living in Dalian for a couple of years now and it took me a little while to find a good one to one Chinese teacher. I would recommend Boya Language Center. It is a small private run place the center, Friendship Square. The teacher is a lady called Alice, she is super sweet, even helped me find a flat and pay my bills.

Her contact details are as follows:

Room 2012 Manhatten Building

No. 105 Youhao Road

Zhonhshan District

Tel 0411 8253 7859

Mobile 159 9853 9811

Good luck with your Chinese learning! :)

• Like 1

• New Members

I am surprised to see another student of Alice's here. I studied with her before and was very satisfied. She is a good teacher and makes everything very easy. She speaks good English so you should be able to just call her dircetly or send her email at missflying@hotmail.com

Galen

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

I (American, upper-intermediate level, been in China for 2+ years, spent last semester studying at Liaoning Normal University and left) have been at Ruiwen for a few months now, and can give you all my feedback.

Positives:

- Good teachers. I've had three teachers, one for spoken Chinese, one for business Chinese and one for the HSK. All have been good at what they do. My oral Chinese teacher gives me plenty of chances to talk freely, but always makes me work in the new vocabulary. My business teacher had worked in a multinational company before and gave me some great cultural insights, and my HSK teacher wad

- Cheaper than the other Dalian schools I visited (Smile and iMandarin).

- Teachers will never use English with you unless you want them to.

- Flexible. My classes are one-on-one, so they teachers are willing to use a variety of textbooks and materials with me. Some days, I even bring in ChinesePod dialogues and go over those with my teacher. Another American classmate of mine watches sitcoms with his teacher and she explains whenever he doesn't understand.

Negatives:

- Not many students at the school. I had hoped to join a class of anywhere from 3-8 students, but had to take one-on-one classes. Unless you show up with a friend who is at your level, and has a similar schedule, expect to take one-on-one classes.

- Not a negative on the school, but I find Dalian to be a really dull city compared to other places I have lived and visited in China (Chengdu, Xiamen, Beijing, Shanghai, Suzhou). If you don't want to many distractions, Dalian is a great place to study Chinese.

Overall, I'd highly recommend Ruiwen and actually got both of my roommates to start taking classes there.

• Like 1

Edited the title - I'm not convinced they're a university. I recall they have close links with 大外 and I think they may be able to get student visas via that channel, but I doubt they're issuing degrees in their own name. Further info welcomed though.

• New Members

Roddy, I'll get back to you on the visa thing. I'm still on my student visa from Liaoning Normal University, despite not attending class there anymore.

They are definitely not a university by the way. There are about 20 students of all different levels that come to the school regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my experience with studying in Dalian.

I have looked at Ruiwen previously since it was closer to where I lived. They have small-sized classrooms like you would expect going to school. However, I ended up choosing Boya Language Center from the recommendations in this thread and I am quite satisfied. I spent about a month (2-3 days a week) for intensive HSK training, and thanks to them, I managed to pass HSK Level 5. Other than HSK, I also take general Mandarin reading/writing lessons. Alice and the teachers are all very helpful and I do feel like I am progressing in my studies. Their classroom is catered more for one-on-one lessons as opposed to a classroom, or you can have the teacher come to your apartment instead so it's convenient. There are many schools being advertised so it's difficult to pick one without knowing anything, so this thread has helped a lot! I hope this will help others who are visiting Dalian to study Mandarin.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Has anyone got contact information on that Boya Language Center? I have been living in Beijing for a little more than a year now, but am looking at moving to another less crowded place, and DaLian caught my attention after reading some opinions on the city here on this forum.

I am already in contact with RuiWen Language School, but would like to look at other options. I am not looking at 1-on-1 lessons as this is simply too expensive, but am also convinced that a good private school is far better than a university, at least when it comes to language studies.