Chinese-Forums

Flash cards for 汉语教程 (Hanyu Jiaocheng)

zhouhana

I've made Quizlet sets of all the dialogues and vocabulary from the revised first book in the 汉语教程 (Hanyu Jiaocheng) series, which is commonly used at universities and language schools in China. That's 15 chapters, each with three flashcard sets (pinyin-English, English-hanzi, and hanzi-pinyin). Phew! :)

I've done my best to ensure correct tone marks and consistency. However, as I went through some of the lessons I noticed that some of the entries which I had copied from other sets had strange formatting, so Quizlet wouldn't recognize my answers as correct even though they were. If you find more of this or any other kind of error in the sets, please let me know here on on Quizlet.

You'll find them here: http://quizlet.com/user/zhouhana/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh, you can switch sides yourself in most of the exercises if you want. To see pinyin and reply with a character (which my computer's input system suggested) wasn't a good exercise for me. I think this combination is the best possible.

ehh I don't really get not having a hanzi->English set.

This is the way I do my cards in Anki:

Each Chinese word (2 or more characters) will get a card with Pinyin and English on the back. However, if the word contains a character such as 调 which has different common pronunciations, I do separate cards for Pinyin and English meaning. English->Chinese, I only put certain cards in if I feel like they will be useful, I don't feel like I need to do this for every word.

I do separate cards for characters, with one card containing the basic meaning of the character, and another containing its pronunciation. I studied a lot of characters before starting SRS though, so I don't have as many of these cards.

Like I said, it's very easy to switch sides in Quizlet. My cards strictly follow the vocabulary and translations available in each lesson in the book and the set combination above is the one that works best for me.

I'll check out Mnemosyne! Using Quizlet since it's compatible with an iPhone app I'm using.

Looks like a good set, I've passed the link on to some friends who are studying this book so hopefully they'll be able to find it useful and benefit from it.

I'll agree with others that there are more sophisticated tools out there (my vote goes for Anki and the pinyin toolkit plugin after trying Pingrid and Jmemorize - it also works on phones though I've not used this) however as these are for an absolute beginners course it's pretty useful that they're just online and available for people without needing to do so much research into other software and making their own sets.

Agreed, Quizlet isn't the best tool since it doesn't support three-sided flash cards, and I'll most likely move on to Anki now that I'm moving up to more advanced vocabulary.

What is good about Pingrid and Jmemorize and what made you turn to Anki instead?

My experience with the tools is quite small really, I was looking around for software that people use for learning Chinese and came across the list on this forum here amongst others - so greedily downloaded as much as I could. I haven't used them extensively though I guess my view may be similar to others new to this kind of program.

Firstly Jmemorize is a very small program (or .jar file), under 4mb in total, and it seems it's fans are those that applaud it for its simplicity in doing its job (which is another way of saying lacking features :wink: ). I think people mainly use it who have their decks saved in excel lists etc and import them, and I think I read some discuss about using more than 2 sides with the die-hards saying 2 sides is right anyway... Regardless, for me I guess I wanted more features whilst at the same time couldn't figure out how to change the format - the text was coming up tiny. I believe all the programs do their srs in the exact same way (more sophisticated calculations for optimising rote memory learning bring real world problems) though so if you can get it to work for you I suppose it would be the least demanding on your computer.

Pingrid, alternatively, works in a different way. So whereas typical srs shows you a card and you either remember or don't, and if you tell the program you don't it will show it again sooner whilst if you repeatedly say you know it you won't need to see it again, with Pingrid you have to get it right. I believe this works in a number of different ways - for instance, it will show you pinyin/a definition/or say a 1 or 2 character word and display 9 or so different characters and you need to click on the right one. So if you get it right or wrong the software knows, and also takes into account how fast you were to pick it - though surely that depends on where you're looking. After a few times getting it right it will ask you to draw the character rather than showing you options but here it's upto you to say if it's right when it shows you. You can change the features such as drawing characters or having those displayed in random fonts (makes it trickier but more realistic) etc and these features are a real plus, however I don't think you'd be able to do sentences or your own definitions as it's using cedict - though I'm not entirely sure. For me, the voice on the software wasn't great -pretty bad infact- and there's a much better plugin on Anki for this. Also, the way lists are done is a little confusing. Pingrid comes a useful 'tutorial' in way of 20+ gifs explaining the software which are displayed as you use it or you can navigate to their folder and use, making it pretty easy to get upto speed with.

Finally Anki... Well, there's a lot out there and on this forum about Anki so I'll try and keep this brief - but basically it's like having an android smartphone :D You can both easily make decks within the program or import them easily - or download those that others are sharing. It has inbuilt statistics, models, templates and ways to easily edit or search for specific cards - all of which are surplus to the actual srs process but make it more user friendly (for instance changing font size to have big cards). There are shared plugins that you can download within the program too, such as more stats specifically for hanzi or the pinyin toolkit (that makes creating cards as easy as inputting hanzi and it will generate the pinyin, definition and audio if you have that installed) if you're using it for Chinese. You can create a free online account to sync with allowing you to access your decks anywhere you have internet access (using the web-based version) or on the dedicated smartphone apps. It's easy to keep track of multiple decks and easy to use different pre-fab study options. Basically, it's pretty all-singing-all-dancing - and there are tutorial videos online to show you what's what and how to get the most out of the software. If you want to set it so you need to type in the answer you can do that too - and there are several options each time for how well/easy you know/found the card.

As a caveat, I am new to the SRS game and indeed having just started a new chinese course find myself falling behind on what I should be reviewing but that's my 2 cents on those 3. Another is zdt but I didn't look into it too much. I see it as a more general program as it has a built in dictionary, annotator and browser - though I seem to have marked it's folder saying that the flashcards require you to input numbered pinyin.

Hope that sheds some light!

• Like 2

Wow, +1 and many thanks for that extensive review. I'm glad to hear I can set Anki so I need to type in the answer; I think I'm finally sold.

Also, thanks for the link to the other forum thread. Very valuable info there.

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

the creator of jMemorize. I just desired to suggest that jMemorize 1.3 provides you with more control over the precise order in which cards seem in learn sittings. You can put a slider between learn all cards ordered by their grade and 100 % randomess.

This helps you to completly leave out the card level while acquiring or learn SEVENTY PERCENT of the cards by their level with 30 PERCENT indiscrimin