Chinese-Forums

Accreditation of Universities

Jernbek1

• New Members

I am currently working in Tianjin and was considering going to TJU or Nankai for their Chinese language program, but I was wondering if any of the degrees you get from them have any type of accreditation in the US or have any recognization anywhere, I have been told mixed answers but none of them for sure and I can't seem to find any sources for accredited schools in China so any help would be appreciated.

According to this database, there seems to be only one business programme in China accredited in the USA -> http://www.chea.org/...g.asp?seq=72951

(A bit off topic because this is about business schools but still relevant) I just want to point out that it's important to understand whether or not the accrediting organization is accepted by the entity, education or business, that you plan to use this accreditation for. Webster University listed in the link above is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) which includes the likes of University of Phoenix, etc. Most reputable 4-year US universities with business programs are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Universities with business programs in the AACSB list include Harvard, Stanford, University of Pennsylvania (Wharton), Northwestern (Kellogg), etc. Apart from the reputation differences between these two accrediting organizations, you also can't transfer classes between them.

I am not sure why the chea.org site doesn't list the AACSB accredited universities with business programs in China but this link has them:

CHINA

Tsinghua University (Beijing)

The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

City University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Hong Kong Baptist University (Hong Kong)

The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Hong Kong)

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Hong Kong)

Lingnan University (Hong Kong)

The University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Xi'an Jiaotong University (Shaanxi)

China Europe International Business School (CEIBS) (Shanghai)

Fudan University (Shanghai)

Shanghai Jiao Tong University (Shanghai)

(Now back on topic) To the OP: If you are planning to use a Chinese language degree from TJU to fulfill a BA requirement for graduate level studies in the USA, I suggest you contact the US universities you are interested in and find out if they will accept it or not. If you are planning to find a job in the USA related to Chinese language, I highly doubt any company will not accept someone with a Chinese language degree from a Chinese university. (They may not view you as a native speaker though but I doubt they wouldn't accept you vs. someone who obtained a Chinese langauge degree from a US university.) If you are planning to find any job in the USA and just want to use your Chinese university degree as a degree level requirement, then I think this answer makes the most sense to me. Would a bachelors degree from a chinese university be recognized?

• Like 1

I am not sure why the chea.org site doesn't list the AACSB accredited universities with business programs in China

I wondered about that too. But if you choose to check Hong Kong in that database, the AACSB ones are there (well there were four when I checked). Perhaps we could tell CHEA about this, hahaha.

So practically all publicly-funded universities in Hong Kong have that AACSB accreditation. hmmm I have just read an article about this which makes people doubt what such accreditation really means.