QuickPinyin is a small app for typing pinyin with tone marks quickly and easily. It works in any Windows program and with any keyboard layout. QuickPinyin's greatest advantage over other pinyin typing programs is that it is not an input method, which has several benefits including portability, simplicity and improved ergonomics, as detailed below.
I provide QuickPinyin free of charge for anyone to use, share and modify. I am always happy to improve my creations so feel free to post your suggestions here, and maybe a short thank-you message if you like QuickPinyin, or buy me a beer some day.
(for portable version please scroll to the bottom of this post)
QuickPinyin v1.15 Setup.zip 724.87KB 3087 downloads Released on 6 September 2014
(Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 - both 32-bit and 64-bit)
Note: In the above mock animation you can see the tone numbers being typed. In practice, the conversion takes place instantly and the tone numbers are not actually seen.
Launch QuickPinyin and then type each pinyin syllable with a tone number e.g. hao3. As soon as you type the tone number QuickPinyin will immediately convert hao3 to hǎo (not haǒ), and so on, one syllable at a time. QuickPinyin can be temporarily disabled by double-clicking its system tray icon or via a customisable keyboard shortcut. Full usage instructions are available in the included Readme.txt document.
- Portability: Run it on any computer directly from a USB stick without installing anything, unlike other pinyin typing programs which must be installed first to work.
- Fewer clicks & fewer keystrokes: Run it alongside your normal input methods without interference and without the need to manually enable/disable QuickPinyin. In addition, unlike input methods, QuickPinyin adds tone marks as soon as you type the tone number, without the need to press Space or Enter to commit.
- Mixed-case: Any combination of mixed-case pinyin supported, e.g. GuAn1 becomes GuĀn, etc.
- Erhua: Full erhua support e.g. menr2 becomes ménr, etc.
- 64-bit support: Works on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
- Open source: Autohotkey_L source code is supplied below as an optional download for anyone to verify and modify.
- QuickPinyin v1.15 Portable.rar 333.06KB 744 downloads Identical to installer version but installed manually
- QuickPinyin v1.15 Source.rar 377.07KB 342 downloads Source code for latest version
- WinRAR (shareware) or 7-zip (freeware) required to extract RAR archives