QuickPinyin is a small app for typing pinyin with tone marks quickly and easily. It works in any Windows program and with any keyboard layout. QuickPinyin's greatest advantage over other pinyin typing programs is that it is not an input method, which has several benefits including portability, simplicity and improved ergonomics, as detailed below.
I provide QuickPinyin free of charge for anyone to use, share and modify. If you like QuickPinyin it would be rather nice if you could leave a thank-you message on this thread!
QuickPinyin v1.14 Setup.zip 724.41KB 1317 downloads Released on 25 September 2013
(Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 - both 32-bit and 64-bit)
Launch QuickPinyin and then type each pinyin syllable with a tone number e.g. hao3. As soon as you type the tone number QuickPinyin will immediately convert hao3 to hǎo (not haǒ), and so on, one syllable at a time. QuickPinyin can be temporarily disabled by double-clicking its system tray icon or via a customisable keyboard shortcut. Full usage instructions are available in the included Readme.txt document.
- Portability: Run it on any computer directly from a USB stick without installing anything, unlike other pinyin typing programs which must be installed first to work.
- Fewer clicks & fewer keystrokes: Run it alongside your normal input methods without interference and without the need to manually enable/disable QuickPinyin. In addition, unlike input methods, QuickPinyin adds tone marks as soon as tone numbers are typed, without the need to press Space or Enter to commit.
- Mixed-case: Any combination of mixed-case pinyin supported, e.g. GuAn1 becomes GuĀn, etc.
- Erhua: Full erhua support e.g. menr2 becomes ménr, etc.
- 64-bit support: Works on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
- Open source: QuickPinyin was written in Autohotkey_L and the source code is supplied below as an optional download for anyone to verify and modify.
- QuickPinyin v1.14 Portable.rar 333.27KB 214 downloads Identical to installer version but installed manually
- QuickPinyin v1.14 Source.rar 340.5KB 108 downloads Source code for latest version
- WinRAR (shareware) or 7-zip (freeware) required to extract RAR archives