Chinese-Forums

To be or not to be a Chinese Translator

angeia

Interesting stuff this area is. I have also searched high and low for material and texts so I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one coming up empty handed.

I'm pretty good with accents (understanding) and many locals compliment my verbal skills so my confidence there is fine. Now all that's left is which field to choose. Thanks Angelina for the passages there. One of the doctors has such a thick accent that my coworkers just nod in faux approval of everything.

So no one has taken classes in a training center on the mainland? :(

I suppose I can be the guinea pig. haha

"In this case, there are many native Chinese speakers who do translation into English. I know a few myself who have amazing English. Particularly if it is a technical translation, or a summary of a Chinese document, it isn't imperative that a native speaker translates the document. It really depends on the document type. Literature is probably the one that requires a native A translator the most."

I've enjoyed your posts up until now, but I take umbrage with this point. I've worked for Chinese multinationals, government agencies, and SMEs all over the country, and the average level of C-E translation in many field around China, including the technical fields, is very low. Sure they can often get the terminology right, but conveying a technical concept accurately in English is not an easy feat, and MOST (99%) Chinese translators are not up to the task.

My last job was working on a team of 35 technical translators in Sichuan, all of whom had graduated from top language universities in China, many of whom had 10 years or more of professional translation skills, and they were still bungling things up left and right. The fact that China's CN > EN translation demand outstrips the supply of competent translators doesn't mean that the job is being handled competently by the Chinese translators, it just means that companies are either too cheap to pay for native English-speaking translators and editors, or else they can't find them.

• Like 1

I certainly didn't read that paragraph as endorsing the many awful C>E translators in China, but a note about the fact that it is not so much the nativity as the proficiency that matters in technical translations. Perhaps yueni can correct me if I am wrong.

On a side note, I sometimes wonder about whether the number of competent C>E translators who have native English is really as low as people think. I know that in Vancouver they are almost non-existant, or if they are here, they aren't on any of the lists or registries... Perhaps for different language combos in different places, this is not the case?

Although I've never translated between English and Chinese, reading these posts reminds me of the time when I did some Thai-English translation work. I had only been studying for a couple of years at the time and had barely started reading proper adult books, so I was reluctant to take the job at first. However, once the guy in charge sent through some samples of already translated work, lets just say that the "quality" of the translations made any doubts I had of not being up to the job immediately disappear! I quite enjoyed the work as the deadlines weren't tight at all and I could work wherever I liked (I did toy with the idea of finding some beach hut down south with an internet connection, but left Thailand soon after anyway). 

I have thought about maybe continuing my Thai studies once I'm satisfied with my level of Chinese, as there might be a lucrative niche for native English speakers who are also fluent in Chinese and Thai (I might even be the only one in existence  :mrgreen: ). I have mixed feelings about the (often) poor quality of Chinese/Thai to English translation. On the one hand it gives me confidence and makes me think "I can do better than that", but on the other hand the fact that whoever commissioned the translations found them perfectly acceptable makes me think that maybe they wouldn't be willing to pay more for a better translator.  :(

• Like 1

@StChris

There are an abundance of C>E translators. From what I can tell, all of them are native speakers of a Chinese language and not English. I like to look at the translations that come across my desk and make mental notes of who not to call, and some Certified Translators are on that list believe it or not. But I think Canada is quite far behind in general in terms of translation and interpreting awareness and regulation so meh, hopefully one day it will be better.

Thanks 陈德聪. What about the Chinese-Canadians who were born and grew up in Canada, how good does their Chinese tend to be? I got invited to the local Chinese association while in Australia and pretty much no one under the age of 50 spoke any Chinese at all (though to be fair most of the younger ones were already 3rd/4th generation Australians so it's not too surprising).

Many of them speak Chinese just fine. But people who are interested in the profession of translating are such a small subset of humans that close to none of those "CBC" folks bother. Plus there is a lot more glory in being a doctor, lawyer, or businessperson.

jazz985

I've worked for Chinese multinationals, government agencies, and SMEs all over the country, and the average level of C-E translation in many field around China, including the technical fields, is very low

Fully agree with you here, I often attend conferences and official meetings and the general level of translation and interpretation from their side is not great, though acceptable in most cases. But certainly far from being able to accurately translate technical terms and details. Our own employees seem to do a better job because they speak the language on a daily basis and have studied abroad. Simultaneous interpretation is a different beast, but in consecutive interpretation I observe that it doesn't matter all that much whether you've studied it or not, it matters a lot more how fluid you are in both languages and how used you are in switching languages at will. 

Yueni,

Hell of a long answer, and while much it is appreciated, I still kind of disagree with you :)

I really just don't believe in translation into B language. After 10 years of translating in China, I have almost never seen it work well; this is equally true with technical translation where the difference between doing something "in" someplace or "on" someplace can often be the difference between a clear instruction and a befuddling disaster waiting to happen. Problems with pronouns, articles, agreement, punctuation, plurals, all of them nuances of English vitally important to concise technical communication.

Anyhow, it's always interesting to hear other people's opinions, and it's certainly true that native English speaking Mandarin speakers with proficiency in highly technical fields are still a rarity. The ones who DO have that are able to set very high translation rates. With more and more people studying Chinese, I'm sure those gaps will slowly get filled in. In the meantime, the model of "translated by Chinese guy with technical knowledge, edited by foreigner with language ability" will continue to dominate (I suspect).

Happy Labor Day!

Jazz

• Like 1

I would just like to note that I recently got into translating.  An acquaintance of mine wanted someone to translate for her because she's started importing dry milk from Holland.  After asking here, I told her ¥700 for a thousand characters and she agreed.  It's all done over wechat, so I just (1) read it as best I can, (2) use wechat's auto-translate to get the gist of it, (3) copy it into Pleco Reader to get the word-by-word breakdown, and (4) if necessary use the Baidu Translate app if I'm still not sure what's going on.  She just sends me messages and I translate them.  She can be pretty bad about sending them at 6am, or in the evening when I'm out on the town, but I've told her I only give a 24 hour guarantee so there's that if I need it.  She also sometimes sends me endless messages all day long, interrupting my day, but as I'm making money I can't really argue.  They are all emails to her supplier about the goods, pickup and delivery, etc.  She's already renewed for another thousand characters.  Cha-ching!

I hope she can start recommending me to her friends, or I've thought about posting flyers in the elevators of fancy apartment buildings nearby.  I think the biggest barrier was posted above: the reluctance of Chinese to pay for high-quality translations.  Just get your friend's daughter-in-law to translate the product manual or restaurant menu into English and who cares if it's readable or not?  I think I lucked out getting a lady who cares that her message is understood. 

For some videos on how Classical Chinese - English translation is taught at San Fran Uni see the links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRxCotWhV40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efeEiXhaegs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLxoF5ba6sE

Dr Chris Wen-chao Li looks like a pretty good teacher.

How do these videos compare to a typical translation class as taught in China?

• Like 1

I would be interested to know how people actually found paid interpreting or translation work. In the UK at least, it seems very difficult to earn a steady income from translation/interpreting.The majority of medical and hospital interpreting seems to be found via word of mouth, which means most interpreters have English as a second language, and there are an abundance of Chinese native speakers. I also have friends who have done MAs in translation with various languages but still have not found regular work, which has put me off pursuing translation/interpreting as a viable career...

I've also been surprised with the seemingly low level of L2 ability some of these translation/interpreting graduates have.

Hello everyone!

I see a lot of people asking about how the Translation programs in China are.

I am starting my Bachelor's in Translation at BLCU next week. My major is going to be English, French and Chinese (汉英法三语翻译). From the schedule that they gave us, I can see that the majority of the teachers are either English or French teaching at their respective languages. Moreover, from the majority of Chinese people that I spoke with, I've heard pretty nice things about the Translation program of BLCU and that it has a high quality of studies and a high prestige among the Translation departments of China.

So, I will let you know as soon as I start my classes and have more information to share with you all.  :)

• Like 1