Chinese-Forums

Study in China on Z Visa

Guest DC

I tried to search the forum for an answer, but I got nothing. Google turned up the same.

I want to study in Qingdao at QDU. But I will be on a Z VISA during my suggested period of study. I have been told by CUCAS representatives that this would be no problem. But I had a friend call QDU university and they told her (regarding my situation), "Maybe, its complicated."

Out of frustration (what kind of answer is, "its complicated") I called QDU myself. Got an English speaking person for the school (She worked there) on the phone. After she tried to skirt the question / give vague answers she finally said, "No, you need an X Visa. You should go to your hometown to get one before coming here."

I contacted CUCAS about other universities regarding this question. Across the several universities I asked about I got the general feeling that its NOT a problem. But the Z visa must cover my whole duration of study. I even asked a representative at one of the schools, Zhejiang University, she said that it wouldn't be a problem. (Hopefully she didn't misunderstand)

Someone, please answer this or give me insight. Its maddeningly frustrated to be told, "Maybe," but not given a clear instruction of what to do next. :wall

The university at which I teach offers free Chinese classes to the foreign teachers, so I've studied using my Z Visa/Residence permit with no problem, but I'm just auditing the classes, not actually enrolled.

My guess is that it shouldn't be a problem to get into the classes (even if you are paying and not getting them for free), but if you need some sort of official record of having taken those classes, it might be more trouble than its worth for the administration, and they might just deny you the chance to take the classes rather than deal with the unique paperwork situation.

It very well could be possible or even easy, but if anything is going to be a snag I think it would be something like that.

...what kind of answer is, "its complicated"

I think it's a substitute, face-saving answer instead of "I don't know." The English speaker answering the phone my just be a receptionist or secretary doing her best, but she's by no means an expert and probably isn't authorized to really speak officially on behalf of the school.

Someone, please answer this or give me insight. Its maddeningly frustrated to be told, "Maybe," but not given a clear instruction of what to do next.

Welcome to China! Seriously, why not trust CUCAS? After all, that's the sort of service for which you are paying them.

• Like 1

What's the actual story here? Are you running out on a teaching job and hoping to hold on to the visa? Taking a six-month sabbatical and the school have said you can hold on to the visa as long as you come back? Planning to study in the mornings while teaching afternoons and weekends?

This is an unusual situation for the university, and they're unlikely to go for it unless they're sure it won't cause them any hassle - they're going to want to know your employer knows what you're doing, and that you're meeting the requirements for the work visa (ie, working) at the same time as studying. I can see this working if you're effectively studying in your spare time. If you're just trying to dodge the hassle of switching to a student visa, I think either the university or the PSB will block you at some point.

• 5 months later...
  • New Members

Hi, I am interested in a similar thing... basically, as far as I understand you cannot work on a student visa. Therefore the only way which can allow you to have some legal income during studies is having a Z visa.

I am interested in studying full time for around two years... and I can see no way of doing that without getting some cash in during that time. Therefore my plan is to find a part-time job which allows me to get a Z visa and then study at the same time... I hope that will not be too troublesome for the university... anybody has any knowledge about that?

What kind of part-time job are you hoping to get? What kind of studying do you intend to do?

An alternative to university visa uncertainties is to enrol at a private school. Since you won't have official student status, the private school won't care that you have a Z-visa.

• 2 months later...

I have found a job at a school where they only teach English, and they are now preparing to send me the required document, so that I can apply for work visa. I will be teaching there 24 hours a week for a year starting in September. Fine!

My worries now are that I at the same time would like to study Chinese 20 hours a week at a University...

Can you not hold TWO visa at the same time (work and student)?

Would a work place accept me working 24 hours a week on a student visa?

Would a university accept me studying on a work visa?

I have sent both places plenty of e-mails asking this, but don't get a reply to this particular question...

A friend of mine studies at a University in Beijing on a Z visa. When they told the administration she didn't need them to sort out the Visa or do anything, they essentially just said any Visa issues were her problem then, which she was aware of anyway.

Seems like you have two choices,

Get an X visa and work part time on the side (easily and wildely done, if not technically legal)

Or

Get a Z visa then sign up to a study program at a University, go to a private language school or hire a tutor.

Get the work visa - you can potentially get into trouble for working on an X visa, and if you're working full time at an actual school rather than doing a few hours private tutoring, the chances of it being a problem are higher. If you're being offered a Z visa, take it. Universities will probably happily take your tuition once you're actually standing in front of them.