Chinese-Forums

Is Qingdao really much cleaner and less polluted than Beijing/Shanghai?

chiappa

I'm looking for some fresh air and even though I do like the city buzz Beijing and Shanghai are unacceptable in the long term. I have experience of both except never been to Qingdao yet. They say it's much cleaner and I'm wondering how does it compare in actuality?

In my experience Beijing is covered in smelly fog most of the days (all year around) and I tend to plan my life around the days when I can breath through the nose. Shanghai is a strange place, there are more sunny days than Beijing but when you go out to sea the water is like mud and you cannot see the horizon. So it doesn't feel like it's next to the sea at all, more of a stuffy feeling. So what's the vibe in Qingdao?:)

Are you currently in Beijing or Shanghai?

I would just hop on the train and check it out yourself.

I really liked the sea/fish/salty kind of scent on the wind in Qingdao when I was there. The air at least seemed clean.

"Out to sea" as in the nearest coastline from the city... ;) perhaps not many have even been there, I have.

Before in Shanghai, now residing in Beijing. That kind of a scent sounds marvelous:) Yes indeed, I will go to check it out for sure but it could be that you just get a lucky day or an unlucky day. So it would be great to hear from those who have lived in both to know how they compare.

Just one of these days...

OK, it just sounded strange, because as you said, not many people actually get right to the seashore in Shanghai. Having said that, there is supposed to be a branch of new high speed rail going down to Jinshan district which will make the sea a lot more accessible.

I was in Qingdao for only two days. The weather on the first day was so dreadful, I decided to cut the visit short. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake and someone who's been there longer has a different view.

Not exactly the most solid advice then...

I have a friend that studied in Qingdao for one year and spoke highly of it, including the weather. Many older people choose to retire to Qingdao for the climate and environmental conditions.

Hey!

I live in QD and today the weather is pretty foggy and bad. In general it is nice here though and we have many days with blue sky. Just over the winter, there are all the heating plants turned on which produces a lot of fog. There's also a bit less wind and many cars.

If you come in spring or summer, then the air quality is rather good on average. Good enough to hang out on the beach or have a good Tsingtao outside.

Send me a PM if you need help to get around in QD. Enjoy your trip!

AFAIK the weather type does effect the severity of air quality.

I guess the winter there is not that long so doesn't sound bad. I'm just worried that in this country you need something really bad to happen for things to improve... like now in Beijing. Actually here I don't use central heating at all, maybe because all my neighbors are:)

What about swimming? I love swimming but for example in the supposedly clean city of Xiamen just looking at the water was enough for me. ;) Thanks for your kind reply, I'm looking forward to that Tsingtao.

AFAIK the weather type does effect the severity of air quality.

This is true, but I doubt it's relevant here. What many people consider nice weather may very well add to the pollution. To my knowledge two important factors to add to pollution are sunny weather and low wind condition. High winds tends to disperse pollution and sunny condition help form ozone. So some comment like the weather is great is not neccesarily a recommendation for low pollution conditions.

"can not use the messaging system"

New members don't have access to the pm system. He does now. However, as I'm very fond of saying, if you post your questions in public than a) you get more answers and b) more people can read 'em.

I've been here for nearly 18 months and can definitely say the air is better than shanghai and beijing. Last summer was really foggy and according to my pollution app on my iphone, i've been seeing very high pollution levels (nothing compared to beijing) in qingdao recently, but i'm not too sure how accurate that is.