Chinese-Forums

Z Visa Release Letter?

Cat Jones

Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience of getting the release letter from their old employer when transferring the Z work visa to a new employer?

My company has never issued one before and has asked me to draft one?

Is it just a standard letter along the lines of:

<my_name>, <my_title> of <company_name>, will be leaving the Company to pursue other endeavours.

His last day will be <date>

Thank you

<HR_manager_signature>

<Company_name>

<Company_stamp>

Or is this actually a specific form?

Thanks in advance

• Good question! 1

This is an official letter with an official format.

In Chinese, it's actually called a 推荐信, or reference letter, not release letter.

The content stipulates that you've finished your contract on good terms. It also relinquishes the company's "rights" to your resident permit, in effect "transferring" you to whoever picks it up next.

Thank you for getting back to me. I've just had a reply from my new HR department and there are two forms - the release letter, and in addition the reference letter. I've just been sent a copy of both templates.

I've also been told I need a police check cert.

If by police check you mean criminal background check, this is a new requirement as of earlier this year.

From what I understand, there is no specific form required for this. As long as you have something which states your background is clear, then you're good to go. Many companies do these online for around US$15-20.

However, you should double check to make sure this is accurate and that a specific type (i.e. state or federal) is not required. If this type is required, you may have to visit a police station back home.

Hi Roddy,

Attached are the templates I was sent. Attached is the template for the reference letter and the termination of contract letter.

kdavid - Apparently the criminal record check can be done in Beijing? They are going to help me arrange that, so I'll update when I know more. I assumed this would be done in my home country.

Template Contract Termination.docx

Reference Letter.docx

Follow up question! Having gone via multiple offices I am slowly getting closer to getting these forms completed, signed and stamped. But now I've been informed that I need to hand over my Foreign Expert Certificate.

Is this right? Is this so they can cancel my work permit? Or should I not be handing this over to them?

Thanks in advance.

The Foreign Expert Certificate is tied to the employer and they are responsible for it (and probably paid a bond to make sure they would return it to the issuing authority once your employment was over).

The booklet itself will have some words or sentence to this effect.

You'll probably have no need for it anyway unless you want to convert a significant % of your salary from your current job from RMB to a foreign currency, and if you plan to do that, you can do it before you hand it back.

I have had my z visa released before and canceled my expert certificate. In the process my residence permit got canceled too so be careful. I didn't learn till after we attempted to extend my residence permit at the PSB (of course with the new expert certificate). They were the ones who kindly informed me that my permit was canceled and I am being issued an exit visa. Almost want to say just run to Hong Kong. Now I'm not sure I'll be allowed back since I "overstayed" my permit.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

Thanks imron, that makes sense. I guess my current employer needs it to cancel my work permit before I can have a new one from my new employer. I was a little nervous about handing it over in case it was needed by my new employer.

Dealing with multiple offices now to try to get the documentation required. Also now dealing with Beijing Shuangxiong Foreign service company to get the certificate of non-criminal record. Anyone dealt with this before? I called and there are no English speakers (this is far too advanced for my shoddy Mandarin), so I've e-mailed to try to find out what's needed.

My notice period is almost totally being used up in sorting out paperwork to allow me to leave. But, I never expected it to be easy.

jdmkoch - that sucks. I thought it was difficult for an employer to cancel your res permit unless they had your passport? Hope you get it sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay quick update on this epic process. So far I have 4 pieces of paperwork for the visa transfer:

1) Contract Termination Notice

2) Letter of Recommendation

3) Letter to confirm return of the Foreign Experts Permit

4) Certificate of non-criminal record

The cert of non-criminal record was issued by the Beijing PSB, but I had to go through the Beijing Shuangxiong Foreign service company which is pretty much next door to the PSB at Andingmen. I had to pay 300RMB for this scrap of paper to get it done within 7 days. It's cheaper if you can wait longer.

I also need an up to date CV in Chinese.

So now I'm finally ready to actually start the process...

jdmkoch - how are you getting on?

• Like 1

Got back this week with a new Z in hand. It was a fiasco but THIS IS CHINA. When I went through the release process, I was not needing so many documents. Proof of cancellation of my Expert's and Release letter was sufficient for a new Expert's to be issued (with the resume of course) and then it is standard paperwork (health check, contract, business license, etc.) to renew the permit. Just ran into trouble when they find out I had mine canceled! Keep us up to date and hope it runs smooth for you! Good luck Cat Jones!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • New Members

Hi Cat, I’ve been reading your messages on here with regards to your release letter etc. 

I am in a similar position and the company I have been working for a really dodgy. Anyhow, psb destroyed my DBS (criminal certificate) when my company applied for my reisendent permit- how do I get that back? Or another one as I have a month to try and get another visa ASAP. I’m currwntly based in Beijing. And I know where the psb office is- but does anyone know how I can retract my dbs or get another in such a short time ? 

Im currently on a stay permit which allows me extra time to sort out my belongings as I’ve been here for a long time. 

Unfortunatly the company told me I had to be back in the country (Beijing) before my visa expires. Which was yesterday. The day I arrived was the day my visa was rejected. And no one knows why, I’ve been back twice and no one know why. Very unusual. Company didn’t need to bring me back- as they didn’t need me to go to the embassy to apply for an extension- (yes, they missed the deadline) and you can’t apply for an extension unless you have a work permit. And apparently I don’t have one of those either-

doesbt end there, the company are now kicking me out of the appartment and I have to find a place to stay and they still haven’t paid everything they owe me with regards to wages etc. 

Desperate help is needed. 

Thanks in advance