Chinese-Forums

Acceptable clothing

kvetch

I'm a BBC. I couldn't find any previous topics that answered my question-what kind of clothing is considered too revealing in China?

I recently read an expat blog where apparently wearing tank tops here labels you as a whore, and realised that while I see a lot of girls wearing shorts and mini skirts, I haven't seen much in the way of low cut tops.

Some stuff I have is pretty low cut, but nothing cleavage revealing. What about spaghetti straps, or shoulderless tops? Would these be acceptable in the summer? Emphasis on Chengdu, they dress more provocatively in Beijing the last time I visited.

I'm quite pudgy for an Asian, if that matters.

As for why I'm not asking my relatives that live here-I can't speak Chinese.

I'm in Beijing, and I don't think I've seen many completely shoulderless tops, although women here will wear really short shorts/skirts in pretty much any situation (including formal business situations, it seems). So show as much leg as you like, as long as you keep the top half "modest", I guess.

Having said that...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/bellybelly

If blokes can do it, why can't the "fairer sex"?

I would agree about showing as much leg as you want but be more conservative up top. I would say, depending on the weather, showing your shoulders/back isn't that much of an issue as such. Shoulderless tops are rarer but Ive seen a few in fancier night out spots.

Cleavage generally doesn't exist, at least not day to day. You just don't see it.

I was in Chengdu over summer and the tiny hot pants / short shorts seemed even tinier than in Beijing.

Things might change with the rising popularity of shops like H&M in China. The stores and clothes are exactly the same as the ones you get in the UK.

I just had visit from Taiwan, and the Mom, who must be mid-40s to 50, combined a micropants and a modest sleeveless shirt top, all buttoned up. I found the contrast curious because, to my German eyes, her lower body half was basically naked :lol: Those pants would be so absolutely impossible for a German mom.

I agree with the short pants/shoulders covered. I've worn sleeveless tops occasionally, but felt uncomfortable. It's fine for going out at night, but by day a t-shirt is better.

I can't remember which site that was but I'm pretty sure that was an exaggeration though. I hope.

My relatives have enough to say about me already I think, what with me being a banana and everything.

So, what about fat asian chicks squeezing themselves into micropants? Is that considered disgusting there or what?

I'm size 8/10 UK. 5ft 2. Still confused as to what's fat in China, and feel uncomfortable wearing shorts/skirts here.

Out of interest, do they look down on obviously foreign people wearing too little?

If you're not sure, dress a bit on the conservative side when you first get to China and look around to get an idea of what is considered acceptable and what you would feel comfortable wearing.

I don't know how much 5 ft 12 is, but if you're not skinny at home, you probably won't be considered slim in China. But really, if you ask me, wear clothes that fit you well and that you feel comfortable in (and that are not too revealing of course), and if people don't like how it looks on you they can just look the other way. It's easy for me to talk, but I think that whatever your size is, it shouldn't stop you from wearing the clothes you like.

• Like 2

http://www.buzzfeed....s538/bellybelly

If blokes can do it, why can't the "fairer sex"?

Yeah, I don't get that. If they're going to roll it up why can't they just take the whole thing off? Unless China has a nipple aversion or something.

Thanks for all the advice-I wish I was confident enough to wear whatever I like, but dinner with a cousin (who was under the impression that I knew no chinese at all),

confirmed my suspicions.

What?! 8/10 is not fat!

Like any country, I would say China has a wide variety of different sized women (and men). It's just compared, as a whole, to other countries people tend to be smaller/thinner - or they used to be. You will still see your fair share of pot bellied men and overweight women walking around. Not to mention obese youths. ... and GIANT Chinese teenagers in full basketball gear.

I wouldn't worry about it that much. I agree just to test the water at first.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

ChTTay: that's a Western perspective. In the West, pretty much everyone is fat except models. In Asia, people actually care about how they look and being fat is looked down upon in most places. Everything about your looks tells about your character and fat = little emperor or just lazy and weak and greedy because you eat too much. Though fat can also be a sign of wealth, if you're rich and fat it's different from being poor and fat. But I would never date a rich fat guy. Many would but then many people have their opinion of the kind of girls who do that. Some people find it okay and some people frown upon it (marrying simply because of money). I don't mean to offend anyone but understanding cultural differences is important. A Chinese mother can suggest a nosejob to a daughter even as a birthday present. A Chinese mother can tell her daughter she's too fat and should lose some weight without wanting to offend her daughter. In the West, people say "you are beautiful just the way you are" even if you weigh 1000000 lbs/kgs and have a nose bigger than your chin. Different culture. If you can't accept a culture you shouldn't try to be part of it. Trying to change someone else's culture is never the answer though Western people seem to think so. (The world doesn't need saving)

• Like 1

kvtech: Find a Chinese girl in China who wears "too little" (whatever you're comparing to). Find out what they do for a living and you'll find your answer. If it's anyone with a normal family/profession then it's fine. If it's a "street girl"... You'll be seen in the same light. Of course if you want to walk the line and risk being just seen as another "dumb foreigner" that is your choice. If you look Chinese though, you will be judged by Chinese standards no matter what language you speak and you won't be speaking any language to the thousands of people passing you and judging you all the time so it doesn't matter anyway.

In the West, pretty much everyone is fat except models.

Wow, almost all my friends are models and I never knew it. I even must have hidden my own modelling career from myself.
  • Like 2

That thread takes best worst to a totally different playing field!

Also, back on topic, It's 12.37 at night and I've actually just realised I'm essentially a model. Feeling good.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if I offended anyone :) Though I cannot consciously condone a culture that sees being fat as "OK" (is alcoholism and drug use okay too? they all damage your health) If you see it that way, maybe my opinions doesn't seem so bad. If it does, then maybe our views are just too different. But there is a clear difference. The west is all about "models are too skinny" but no one seems to care that most people are overweight and die of heart disease and related reasons. I think it's curious, and not in a good way.