Chinese-Forums

Why Chinese?

roddy

My High School offered Chinese as a Foreign Language but only to ethnically Chinese students.I understand why they did it that way now but I was so envious at the time.

I don't understand why they did that. Telling people what they should or shouldn't learn based on the way they look? Come on...

• Like 4

Sheesh, I only went to the supermarket and we've got half a page of posts and an embryonic discussion on ethnolinguistic politics...

What kind of admin are you, leaving us all alone for such a long time?  :P

• Like 1

I don't understand why they did that. Telling people what they should or shouldn't learn based on the way they look? Come on...

I think it was because the class was focused on learning the characters and grammar with the assumption that Chinese kids know the language already and don't need to spend time on learning how to pronounce the tones and stuff. I know in my university they divided the chinese classes and there was a section for 'heritage' speakers.

It really sucks but I think it was just easier for them to do. I also believe that they made that class so that the chinese speakers who were in ESL (not saying all of them were) wouldn't have to struggle to work on their english while also learning another language like french or spanish. But this was just me. I didn't press too into it after I was told that I needed to be chinese to take the class. lol.

• Like 1