Chinese-Forums

Why did you leave China?

roddy

Thanks Mike, you managed to put into words a lot of things I am struggling with myself and which will likely (eventually) lead to me leaving China as well. 

As much as I am in a comfortable position here and have a great job, I just don't feel that my interest in China and Chinese is strong enough to ignore the negative aspects of living here in the long term. 

Anyway, thanks everyone for contributing, interesting read. 

• Like 1

I think China is more of a grinder than most other countries are for the simple reason that it's such a challenge to know what's going on at any given time. If you're not one that's naturally inclined towards action without comprehension, it can be a really tough place to live.

But, that being said, I think it's easy to focus on the negatives and there were positives. The people were by and large very friendly, just as long as I wasn't doing business with them. 

Yes! This perfectly encapsulates so well how I felt living there, too. I found average people to be very friendly, but I had the unfortunate need to access government-run archives for the purposes of historical research, meaning that I had to deal with university professors for introduction letters and guanxi, and numerous government bureaucrats and archivists on a daily basis -- many of whom were fine with me as long as I stuck to certain boundaries. And sometimes I had to warm up to them for weeks or months before they really let me see or do what I needed to see and do.

I also used to get last-minute requests from university professors and staff to drop everything and show up somewhere for a presentation, talk, dinner, workshop/conference, yada yada yada. I suppose if one is not trying to get much done other than socialize/present themselves as "the Western scholar" it's all fine and good, but I found it to be tiring and generally a waste of time, not to mention almost always inconvenient.

• Like 1

I had to deal with university professors for introduction letters and guanxi, and numerous government bureaucrats and archivists on a daily basis -- many of whom were fine with me as long as I stuck to certain boundaries

This was exactly why I left China. I couldn't do anything for the deaf, blind, etc etc etc all because of introduction letters and guanxi being needed. If I ever start up a foundation for rehab of the sensory impaired I would do this in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, maybe even Japan. Then again maybe things will change/be different there after I work here in blind rehab for a decade or so. 

• Like 2

I ended up in Japan from 2007 to 2012 and really tried to kill my longing for China: "make yourself fall in love with Japan and fall out of love with China" was my mantra. I tried that approach for the first four years in Japan but gave up when I realized how feeble that was.

I returned to China in 2012 and am glad that I am back. Once again, I am looking to stay here indefinitely.

Even though I have left and am glad I have, I entirely, entirely understand this feeling. I'm happy for you that you're back!
  • Like 2

I'm curious, what was Japan lacking that China has? I mean, I know they're very different, but personally, my main reason for coming to China in the first place was because I wanted to learn Chinese. But I could imagine that I'd be just as happy in Japan learning Japanese.

• New Members

Hi, Chris.  This is also my first post on this forum.  You're right, seems like a legit forum for once from what I've seen.  It sounds like you are in a similar age bracket as I'm in.  I currently teach English in South Korea, but have come to a place where I think change is a good thing.  I have been looking into China and it appears that I have landed a job with an international school in Qingdao.  I'm both excited and apprehensive at the same time, and I can relate to your thoughts.  Will be interesting to hear how things unfold for you.  All the best.  

• Like 1

I had a brief interlude in China 98-99 1.5 years split between Nanjing (language study), Beijing (EU training) and Shanghai (banking internship), sandwiched between working in Japan and UK. It was a fascinating time and unique experience, and the reason I didn't stay on - as I recall - is staying on at the German bank in my first financial services job seemed too off-the-beaten path as financial markets were in their infancy. (I ended up on a 6 year hiatus from financial services anyway though) Looking back at the 45 Europeans on that first EU training program, the interesting fact was that those who seemed to struggle the most learning Chinese in the lower level classes made up those who stayed on long term. I moved to HK via a circuitous route 4 years ago, but do not count this as China experience - HK is a hybrid English city hanging on precariously to the PRC, the most dynamic and best place to live in world in my view (best of both worlds) It's like a cocoon, spending less than a week per year across the border. Resurrecting Mandarin Chinese skills here is a challenge, but I will be facing down my nemesis HSK-5 in 18 days.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

anonymoose,

I dunno. In my five years in Japan, I guess I accomplished all I had set out to do. I didn't really come across viable job prospects to keep me in Japan and it didn't feel fresh anymore. I don't feel the same way about China--the place doesn't get old for me. The country is so huge and there is so much for me to see; I am getting started with the HSK and I want to keep going with language study and could study here full-time for a year or more for cheap or on scholarship; I am a teacher here and the students I have taught have been diligent and enthusiastic (not necessarily true of my Japanese students).

I loved studying Japanese, but after continually failing JLPT level N2, I just lost heart. Japanese is a fun language to study though and I found the Japanese to be very warm-hearted and highly supportive of my efforts when I used Japanese.

Red Dragon,

If you've made it to Qingdao, I hope things are going well for you. Enjoy!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Haven't seen any posts from @Liuzou in a long time. Did he move home too? Pretty sure I recall there was some mention of that possibility.

Wow! I just found this old post.

No. I haven't left, nor do I intend to. I just had some health issues and ducked down for a while. I have recovered and am creeping back. Thanks for your concern.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thanks MarsBlackman. Really honest and deep post. 

My experience in China has been similar. However, I haven't decided if I want to leave China or stay and fight.

I simply need a more stimulating work environment. I find work involving China to be interesting, yet the atmosphere of a Chinese office to be dull.

Grad school in China is similar. While research involving China is interesting, it gets boring. 

I might decide not to leave China because of the people here who are a source of inspiration despite the problems. The reason why I might leave China is pollution. Maybe it is just too dangerous. 

• Like 2

Great stories!

To think of all the online flashy advertisers promising to teach Chinese for better jobs prospects vs. how unlikely those prospects are actually materialized  :-?,

and even if they do materialize, there are still  issues with pollution and health  :(. Would you really want those trade-offs?

• Like 2

To think of all the online flashy advertisers promising to teach Chinese for better jobs prospects vs. how unlikely those prospects are actually materialized

There's an article on Reuters from yesterday that discusses this issue, how U.S. students are losing interest in learning Chinese because job prospects seem unlikely. 

• Like 1