Chinese-Forums

Teaching in a Park

L-F-J

Hey all,

Would anyone have a clue as to whether forming a small group for, say, martial arts training in a public park would require holding a particular working visa or permit of some sort if done for a fee? I was considering doing so in my area, probably just attracting other expats, but don't need to risk fine or deportation! Knowhatimean?  :shock:

At the work permit level - technically any paid employment for a foreigner is going to need some kind of registration, but the systems for this kind of casual part-time self-employment, presumably carried out alongside an actual job or course of study, just aren't in place. However it's hard to imagine how this comes to the attention of the relevant authorities, unless you're running a course in advanced sedition. If you want to go above and beyond the call of duty (ok, actually, just complying with the law) you could declare your income to the tax authorities, but I'm not sure if things have moved on from when a friend of mine tried to declare freelance income several years back and was told to go away, as they didn't have a clue what to do with her. 

More locally, the park probably has rules on what you can and can't do, and any kind of economic activity is probably one of the can'ts. For that reason I'd ask your students to pay you quietly when there aren't too many people around. 

Which brings me to the next point - you're going to attract big crowds. Should be fun. I'd try it in the park and see how it goes, but it may work out easier to rent a room from a gym or dance school or something. 

• 2 months later...