Chinese-Forums

Those Business Chinese courses. . .

Alex Whiteman

Hey!

I'm in the HSK IV to V range here and by July this year will have spent a year and a half in China.
I'm very slowly getting there fluency-wise and significantly more comfortable/spontaneous conversing with people when there's no other language in common.

I'm beginning to shape some kind of plan B in case I don't find the job I want by the end of the semester (which is likely) and I still want to remain here learning.

Well. . . basically I'm looking at "Business Chinese" courses in different places. . . and for these reasons:

- reading the same kind of ridiculous stories over and over about "getting used to life in China" doesn't cut it for me anymore.
- Chinese is a lot about vocabulary, spreading horizontally and encyclopedically; to talk about my profession I need the words that produce such discourse. While maybe not an absolute shortcut for everyone anytime, maybe it's something worth trying once at HSK V.
- I can still improve other areas meanwhile and as part of a general process, for example through language exchange. . . and here comes the question of how good are those courses at keeping up on the general skills front: listening, grammar, etc. . . with a good level of intensity/class hours.

As for where I'm looking at:
- places with good job markets (Guangzhou) or at an hour away from them (Hangzhou)
- universities who seem to actually do things to connect students to potential employers (Xiamen, Guangzhou)
- relatively low cost (not Shanghai, for example)

So far, and from looking a bit through CUCAS, I have kind of short-listed the following:
- Xiamen Uni of Technology
- Zhejiang Gongshang Uni (Hangzhou)

- One or two unis in Guangzhou (I feel like I'll end up choosing one of these but anyway. . .)

______

So. . . the questions. . .
Anyone did any of these courses? Are they worth it? Etc. . .
I'm at a brainstorming phase. . .

Can't tell you about business chinese courses, but I'm not sure or a course of business chinese is the best way too go for you. But then I don't know your background so can't really judge.

If I understand you correctly you're basicly looking for subject specific vocabulary and your general chinese is quite decent vocabulary, pronunciation and fluency wise. In this situation I would not recommend a language course but would recommend using your chinese in the field of interest. So, take a course in your own field (business?) rather then business Chinese. You pick up the subject specific vocabulary through use and learn something about the subject too. If you're afraid your chinese is not good enough for an academic course with new material you might choose something with a fair overlap with your existing knowledge.

That would be exactly what I'm looking for - if they don't neglect grammar and the overall quality of the course just because it's "business". . .

As for a business course in Chinese, that would be a nice challenge but it'd have to be a one-year course as I don't plan to stay any longer (unless I'm working). My business education is post grad level.

If you can't find a suitable 1 year course why not just take the first year of a longer course? I still see benefits over a business chinese course, but maybe you have a little more to explain to a prospect employer. But then, if it's the better way to meet your goal that won't be too much of an issue.