Chinese-Forums

Translations for "pragmatic" and "assertive" in Chinese?

tooironic

How would you translate "pragmatic" and "assertive" in Chinese? I have long struggled to find equivalents for them.

"Pragmatic" can be defined as "dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations", e.g. "a pragmatic approach to politics".

"Assertive" can be defined as "having or showing a confident and forceful personality", e.g. "the job may call for assertive behaviour."

These definitions and examples are taken from the Oxford dictionary.

Thanks!

I think the problem is, as with many English words, there's not one Chinese equivalent which is applicable in all situations. Which word you choose will depend on the specific situation.

For "pragmatic", 实事求是 comes to mind, but you could also consider 功利 in the right context. The dictionary also gives 实用 and 务实.

As for "assertive", you could try 强势 or you could describe a person as 气场强. The dictionary also gives 断定 and 独断.

• Like 1

For "pragmatic", yes 實事求是 did come to my mind. I think it's not bad as a reference translation. 功利 is OK as a noun; I suppose you could say 功利主義, though its meaning is closer to utilitarianism. Of course 實用 is fine as a translation, but again, its meaning is more like practical. I think 務實 is not bad, but I will need to think about this more. 

For "assertive", 強勢 is not bad. I think of 氣場強 more as charismatic, the kind of person who turns heads. I don't feel it emphasises the connotation of action that assertive has. 斷定 is incorrect I think. I've never heard it used as an adjective. 獨斷 is more like you make a decision without consulting others.

• New Members

for me, 务实 and 实际 both very close to pragmatic.

务实 is a positive word for me, 他很务实 or 他做事情很务实。 you praise him because he deals with  something based on practical considerations. but I do think that the opposite of 务实 is  theoretical consideration, not 务实 is more like “玩虚的”  in Chinese, only want to do something that looks good but has no real meaning. 

实际 is a more neutral, 他做事情非常实际。 他这个人很实际。实际的说。 very similar as 务实。 but 务实 sounds better if you mean to praise.

功利 can be used as adjective, negative word. 他很功利 only care about if he can benefit from the result. 我们做事不能太功利

in conclusion, it is hard to find some word exactly means pragmatic in Chinese. but 务实 is a good option for me so far.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just came across the term 变通 today which I think may be a perfect translation for pragmatic in Chinese!

变通biàntōng
动处理事情时,对规定等酌情作非原则性的变动。
根据情况变通处理。

(In the Taiwan dictionary: 為了順應時勢的變遷,作非原則性的彈性處置。)

Both dictionaries refer to 作非原则性的变动 - this is definitely what being pragmatic entails!