Chinese-Forums

"Public display of affection" in Chinese?

tooironic

One phrase that I've often wondered how to translate from English into Chinese is "public display of affection".

Does anyone have any ideas?

The best I can come up with is 在公共場合秀恩愛. Is that more or less the same as the English phrase? I.e. does it refer to kissing, hugging, holding hands, etc. in public?

I guess the main problem would be getting across the implied disgust (of the observer) in the original. Probably untranslatable in that respect. I think choosing something other than 恩爱 might help, as it seems too respectable. Although I could be wrong.

On 微信 a couple of weeks ago my friend asked his 朋友圈: "大家都怎么对待超级喜欢秀恩爱的couple?尤其是肉麻程度令人发指的那种?"

肉麻程度令人发指的那种<- this cracked me up.

Re: #2, I thought "public display of affection" was a pretty neutral way to describe... well, public displays of affection. 秀恩爱 is equally neutral to my ears. To me, 秀恩爱 implies that it's 在公共场合, or at the least that they're showing other people, not showing each other.

Well, yeah the phrase itself is neutral, but I rarely hear it used in a neutral way. I think the official-sounding tone makes it ripe for cynicism. But maybe I went too far in my post above, as its true you can use it in a neutral way (for example in a wikipedia article, etc). I guess I'm mixing up usage and whether the phrase itself is neutral or not.